You are gods

CherubRam

Again, I would like to point out that there is only one person who is truly a God; and that is Yahwah our Holy Father. The term (elohiym / gods) is used to mean that the person-s, have, or will have, life immortal. The term "gods" does not mean the people have any special powers.

TrevorL

Greetings CherubRam,
Again, I would like to point out that there is only one person who is truly a God; and that is Yahwah our Holy Father. The term (elohiym / gods) is used to mean that the person-s, have, or will have, life immortal. The term "gods" does not mean the people have any special powers.
The title Elohim was also given to the Judges in Israel Exodus 21:6 because of their special responsibility to act on God the Father's behalf. Many of these were unjust as Psalm 82:2-4 states, and they will not be rewarded with immortal life at the return of the Son of God, Jesus Christ Psalm 82:6-7.

Kind regards
Trevor

CherubRam

Greetings CherubRam,The title Elohim was also given to the Judges in Israel Exodus 21:6 because of their special responsibility to act on God the Father's behalf. Many of these were unjust as Psalm 82:2-4 states, and they will not be rewarded with immortal life at the return of the Son of God, Jesus Christ Psalm 82:6-7.

Kind regards
Trevor

Thanks for your input Trevor.

daqq

Why is it no one else here feels the need to follow rules? Didn't king Lon successfully cut off free speech once again with his vicious wicked murderous attacks? Weren't we told we are now not allowed to discuss this section of scripture anymore in this board? This argument is done according to the mods: king Lon wins, no more quoting the words of Messiah from this passage.

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?124241-You-are-gods/page3

CherubRam

Why is it no one else here feels the need to follow rules? Didn't king Lon successfully cut off free speech once again with his vicious wicked murderous attacks? Weren't we told we are now not allowed to discuss this section of scripture anymore in this board? This argument is done according to the mods: king Lon wins, no more quoting the words of Messiah from this passage.

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?124241-You-are-gods/page3
I just wanted to clarify about the word gods being used in scripture. You guys got my thread cut off because of your fighting.

daqq

I just wanted to clarify about the word gods being used in scripture. You guys got my thread cut off because of your fighting.

You think you needed to clarify something most everyone already knows? The passage still says what it means and means what it says; and that is not going to change for Lon, the mods, or you, or anyone else. It was not my fault Lon decided to use his typical tactics. Anyone can go there and see what happened just as well as you can read what was already said there to you by way of the scripture. I did not get your thread cut off, that was Lon, and it was not me who reported anything, that was Lon. Please stop comparing me to him. He is a denier of the Testimony of Messiah, whose words I hold dearly, as the only way to the Father. I do not reject the Testimony of the Master.

Bradley D

The word "god" with a small "g" refers to idols. The serpent used it to entice Eve to want the knowledge of "good and evil."

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil" (Genesis 3:5).

daqq

The word "god" with a small "g" refers to idols. The serpent used it to entice Eve to want the knowledge of "good and evil."

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil" (Genesis 3:5).

The Psalm makes the statement as though it was already said, that is, in the past tense, "I have said", (Psalm 82:6a KJV). If the Psalmist says that it was already said somewhere else then the Psalmist speaks of the Torah wherein it must have been stated. And where would it have been stated in the Torah as per the context of the Psalm? For the Psalmist also says, "But you shall die as adam", (or Adam), and therefore it most likely refers to the same passage which was denied in the other thread by the detractors:

Genesis 3:22 (from the Septuagint reading)
22 And the Elohim said, Behold, the adam is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever?

It says right there, "the adam has become as one of us", which confirms the statement from Psalm 82:6 KJV where it is said that this had already been said, (and this therefore is the place whereof the Psalmist speaks), but because Adam transgressed the commandment he died, (Psalm 82:7). This is why I argued against the point that was being put forth in the other thread, that supposedly the lie in the garden was, "You shall be like God", for the lie was rather instead, "You shall not surely die", (Gen 3:4). Moreover, if you believe the KJV and most other English translations, then you by default must allow that the Father, (YHWH), intimately "knows" evil; for there is no way around what the English translations plainly say. The Septuagint reading is therefore correct because the Most High does not "know" evil.

oatmeal

How do you define the word "god"?

How is the word "god" used in scripture?

Is your definition general enough to cover all the places "god" or "God" is used in scripture?

CherubRam

That is only partially correct.

Zeke

Divine seeds would be the off spring of that linage, you are arguing against you're own eternal heritage and still under the master slave motif of the first Adams covenant.

Sent from my A462C using TheologyOnline mobile app

TrevorL

Greetings again CherubRam,
Thanks for your input Trevor.
I appreciate your comment, but I am surprised that all the posts so far have avoided John 10, and have not suggested that the word “gods” here is speaking of the judges. This is part of the whole passage, v30-36. Trinitarians use John 10:30 in support of their beliefs, but a careful consideration of Jesus’ response to the Jews in v32-36 will show that Jesus is claiming to be The Son of God. Part of this response is where Jesus quotes Psalm 82:6, and these are these words “Ye are gods” is the title of this thread.
John 10:30-36 (KJV): 30 I and my Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Instead of looking at all of Jesus’ response, consider Jesus’ answer to the Jews where he speaks concerning the OT usage of the word “God”, “gods”, that is the Hebrew word “Elohim”. Jesus speaks concerning the fact that in the OT the judges were called God or gods. It is interesting to note that the translators had difficulty with the relevant verses where the Judges acted in the role of God (Hebrew Elohim):
Exodus 21:6 (KJV): 6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.
Exodus 21:6 (ASV): then his master shall bring him unto God, and shall bring him to the door, or unto the door-post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for ever.

Exodus 22:8-9 (KJV): 8 If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall be brought unto the judges, to see whether he have put his hand unto his neighbour’s goods. 9 For all manner of trespass, whether it be for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, which another challengeth to be his, the cause of both parties shall come before the judges; and whom the judges shall condemn, he shall pay double unto his neighbour.
Exodus 22:8-9 (ASV): 8 If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall come near unto God, to see whether he have not put his hand unto his neighbor’s goods. 9 For every matter of trespass, whether it be for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, whereof one saith, This is it, the cause of both parties shall come before God; he whom God shall condemn shall pay double unto his neighbor.

The role and responsibility of the judges is indicated in the following:
Deuteronomy 1:17 (KJV): Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God’s: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it.
2 Chronicles 19:6 (KJV): And said to the judges, Take heed what ye do: for ye judge not for man, but for the LORD, who is with you in the judgment.

So the judges were called God or gods because they were united in administering the work or judgements of God. Jesus was claiming a similar though superior role as The Son of God, by calling and claiming God as His Father. A careful consideration of verses 30 and 36 show that Jesus is not claiming to be God, but the Son of God.
John 10:30-36 (KJV): 30 I and my Father are one. 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
He was united with His Father in character and works.

Kind regards
Trevor

daqq

Greetings again CherubRam,
I appreciate your comment, but I am surprised that all the posts so far have avoided John 10, and have not suggested that the word “gods” here is speaking of the judges. This is part of the whole passage, v30-36. Trinitarians use John 10:30 in support of their beliefs, but a careful consideration of Jesus’ response to the Jews in v32-36 will show that Jesus is claiming to be The Son of God. Part of this response is where Jesus quotes Psalm 82:6, and these are these words “Ye are gods” is the title of this thread.
John 10:30-36 (KJV): 30 I and my Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Instead of looking at all of Jesus’ response, consider Jesus’ answer to the Jews where he speaks concerning the OT usage of the word “God”, “gods”, that is the Hebrew word “Elohim”. Jesus speaks concerning the fact that in the OT the judges were called God or gods. It is interesting to note that the translators had difficulty with the relevant verses where the Judges acted in the role of God (Hebrew Elohim):
Exodus 21:6 (KJV): 6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.
Exodus 21:6 (ASV): then his master shall bring him unto God, and shall bring him to the door, or unto the door-post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for ever.

Exodus 22:8-9 (KJV): 8 If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall be brought unto the judges, to see whether he have put his hand unto his neighbour’s goods. 9 For all manner of trespass, whether it be for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, which another challengeth to be his, the cause of both parties shall come before the judges; and whom the judges shall condemn, he shall pay double unto his neighbour.
Exodus 22:8-9 (ASV): 8 If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall come near unto God, to see whether he have not put his hand unto his neighbor’s goods. 9 For every matter of trespass, whether it be for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, whereof one saith, This is it, the cause of both parties shall come before God; he whom God shall condemn shall pay double unto his neighbor.

The role and responsibility of the judges is indicated in the following:
Deuteronomy 1:17 (KJV): Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God’s: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it.
2 Chronicles 19:6 (KJV): And said to the judges, Take heed what ye do: for ye judge not for man, but for the LORD, who is with you in the judgment.

So the judges were called God or gods because they were united in administering the work or judgements of God. Jesus was claiming a similar though superior role as The Son of God, by calling and claiming God as His Father. A careful consideration of verses 30 and 36 show that Jesus is not claiming to be God, but the Son of God.
John 10:30-36 (KJV): 30 I and my Father are one. 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
He was united with His Father in character and works.

Kind regards
Trevor

Most all of this has already been quoted and discussed including the Exodus passages, (with the only exceptions being the points from Deut and 2Chr, but the unfair judgment was certainly discussed). Again, read the link provided where we were also told not to bring up this topic again. So why should I post it all again knowing that I would likely be the one to be penalized for it? That judgment in itself is showing respect to the persons of men; for he who did not even care to discuss these things, and said so himself several times, is the same who got the thread shut down because he only cared about making false accusations rather than discussing the scripture that was posted. You are not posting anything new but you apparently still have the right to post these passages and discuss them while others here are no longer afforded that opportunity.

TrevorL

Greetings daqq,
Most all of this has already been quoted and discussed including the Exodus passages, (with the only exceptions being the points from Deut and 2Chr, but the unfair judgment was certainly discussed). Again, read the link provided where we were also told not to bring up this topic again.
I appreciate the reminder to consider the earlier thread. You have brought out some similar explanation in your Posts #16,28,37, but even these have some other details that I find difficult to accept. That thread certainly did come to the boiling point and what you stated has almost been lost in all the other heated exchanges.

In this thread I attempted to give an explanation of “Ye are gods” based upon John 10 and Psalm 82 where these words occur. I felt that this was lacking in this new thread, while many other aspects not relevant are discussed.

Kind regards
Trevor

oatmeal

God is a term used for a variety of beings. It is used for the Creator, His son, the children of the most high God, the Devil and the idols he foists upon people..... Generally it is used for someone or something of genuine, perceived, granted or deceptive superiority. We determine from context, etc., what we are to learn.