ECT Y do some Protestants have women in authority o/ men?

republicanchick

The Bible tells us that women should not have authority over men.

Yet some Protestant "churches" have women for pastors

some may not go that far, but they let women preach. Well, I am not against women giving speeches, but I don't think they should exactly "preach"

I'm still thinking about that, though... I wouldn't mind hearing a woman "preach" as long as she... well, doesn't preach anything heretical... But I know one thing: no woman should be a pastor w/ authority over men...

I'm somewhat a (PRO LIFE) feminist, but I draw the line here..

__

SaulToPaul 2

some may not go that far, but they let women preach. Well, I am not against women giving speeches, but I don't think they should exactly "preach"

I'm still thinking about that, though... I wouldn't mind hearing a woman "preach" as long as she... well, doesn't preach anything heretical... But I know one thing: no woman should be a pastor w/ authority over men...

__

Is Mother Angelica over some of the brothers at EWTN?

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
Culture back then was different than today. Today, woman are allowed to proclaim the gospel just as well as men. No differnce at all. You need a church that is up to times.

Daniel1611

Women can evangelize, and they can teach children and other women. But men are to be pastors. The bible says they must be the husband of one wife. Not the wife of one husband. Evangelizing and pastoring aren't the same thing.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I think the word usurp is key here.

Hey, Pete, maybe you can help. I know the Greek word for woman is gyne, but if you know Greek what is the Greek word for wife?

If we can find out then we can have a discussion.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Women can evangelize, and they can teach children and other women. But men are to be pastors. The bible says they must be the husband of one wife. Not the wife of one husband. Evangelizing and pastoring aren't the same thing.

What about a minister? Can a woman be a minister based on the Greek diakonos?

Daniel1611

What about a minister? Can a woman be a minister based on the Greek diakonos?

A pastor, a minister, a bishop. These are all basically the same and they are to be men. Women can evangelize the lost but men are to be pastors. That's not thus saith Daniel1611. That's what the bible says.

musterion

Culture back then was different than today. Today, woman are allowed to proclaim the gospel just as well as men. No differnce at all. You need a church that is up to times.

The culture argument is the slipperiest slope of all.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
A pastor, a minister, a bishop. These are all basically the same and they are to be men. Women can evangelize the lost but men are to be pastors. That's not thus saith Daniel1611. That's what the bible says.

Surely you jest.

I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea. (Romans 16:1 NKJV)

The word "servant" is the Greek diakonos which is translated 20 times in the KJV as minister, 8 times as servant, 3 times as deacon.

Daniel1611

Surely you jest.

I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea. (Romans 16:1 NKJV)

The word "servant" is the Greek diakonos which is translated 20 times in the KJV as minister, 8 times as servant, 3 times as deacon.

Servant and deacon is not pastor. Minister is not necessarily pastor. The bible uses pastor and bishop to mean pastor.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Servant and deacon is not pastor. Minister is not necessarily pastor. The bible uses pastor and bishop to mean pastor.

Let deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. (1 Timothy 3:12 NKJV)​

What were you saying about being the husband of one wife? Whose husband was Phoebe?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

__

I said
I'm shocked. Most women run from any conversations about women. Or they rebel. But your facing it head on. God bless you.

Heb 13:8
8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
(NKJ)

Puppet

BANNED
Banned

Requirements to be a pastor is to be married. Yeah right. Funny Fundies.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
The culture argument is the slipperiest slope of all.

Paul was referring to something else in a different way, nothing like today. This type of knowledge is common today. Not literal today cause it meant something totally different from what you see on the surface of the bible.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
In Paul's day women were not allowed to enter the Temple grounds beyond the Court of Women. There were no women rabbis.

It was a man's world thanks to Mosaic law.