Would you quit your job? Rockingham magistrate resigns over same-sex marriage

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Rockingham magistrate resigns over same-sex marriage

WENTWORTH — A Rockingham County magistrate submitted his resignation Thursday, saying he couldn’t marry same-sex couples because it violates his religious beliefs.

Magistrate John Kallam Jr. sent a letter to Chief District Judge Fred Wilkins and said he couldn’t fulfill his oath of office after same-sex marriage became legal in North Carolina. His resignation is effective Oct. 31.

“When I took my oath of office, I understood I would be required to perform weddings and have done so throughout my tenure,” Kallam said in an emailed resignation letter. “I did not, however, take that oath with any understanding that I would be required to marry same sex couples. It is my personal belief and a position of my Christian faith that doing so would desecrate a holy institution established by God himself.”

Kallam could not be reached for comment Thursday night.

Wilkins confirmed Kallam’s resignation.

“He’s a good honorable man and a good man who stuck by his convictions,” Wilkins said.

However, had Kallam refused to marry a same-sex couple, Wilkins said he would have followed protocol and suspended Kallam.

The county’s magistrates, including Kallam, met with Wilkins and Chief Superior Court Judge Ed Wilson Wednesday to discuss a memo from the N.C. Administrative Office of the Courts that said magistrates had to marry same-sex couples or face suspension and the possibility of being fired.

Wilkins said Rockingham County magistrates have performed two same-sex marriages since a federal judge’s decision on Oct. 10 that legalized same-sex marriages in North Carolina. Magistrate Shandolyn Martin presided over the first same-sex marriage in the county for Reidsville couple Ann-Marie Jarvis and Christy Michelle Finney.

Rockingham is not the first county where a magistrate has refused to marry same-sex couples.

A magistrate in Pasquotank County said Monday that he would not marry same-sex couples, saying it goes against his religious beliefs. And in Alamance County, some magistrates have refused to perform the ceremonies but haven’t resigned.

Equality NC, a nonprofit group that supports lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights, is considering legal options in response to the refusals.

“This is not an issue of people’s rights to have religious beliefs, but people try to spin it that way,” said Chris Sgro, the executive director of Equality NC. “This is their job, and it’s a job requirement.”

Bill Duke, the pastor of First Baptist Church in Reidsville, said this will become a “messy” issue in the coming days, and he is sure ministers also will need to start making hard decisions.

His church doesn’t have a policy on same-sex marriages, but he believes the majority of his congregation would say they believe a marriage is between a man and a woman, as he does.

“I personally would not want to do something that violates my religious beliefs, and then you have to decide, what’s a religious issue, what’s a social issue and what your personal belief is,” Duke said.

The American Civil Liberties Union sides with Equality NC.

“As Governor McCrory and other officials have made clear, the highest responsibility of state actors is to uphold the United States Constitution,” Chris Brooks, the organization’s legal director for North Carolina, said in a statement. “Federal courts have agreed that the 14th Amendment’s guarantee of equal protection under the law for all citizens includes the right of gay and lesbian citizens to marry the person they love. The law is clear, and all state officials are bound to respect it.”

Duke said he doesn’t know the magistrate or the details about what happened.

What he does know is he wouldn’t want a mayor telling him what to preach.

“You have to respect someone who sticks to his beliefs,” Duke said. “Maybe he should be applauded for standing by his convictions.”

More than 400 marriage licenses for same-sex couples have been issued in 60 counties, according to Sgro. And marriages have been taking place since last week’s ruling.

“This isn’t a problem everywhere,” Sgro said. “These are a few isolated instances.”
http://www.news-record.com/rockingh...cle_6d2170ac-556e-11e4-9d70-001a4bcf6878.html

Good for him - Its always awesome to see someone unwilling to compromise their faith in the Lord.

Would you quit your job if you were informed that you had to violate your faith in order to perform any aspect of it?

smalcat

I would not. I would neither perform such marriages in a same way some doctors do not perform abortions.

If it would cost me my job it would cost me my job, but I would not quit.

PureX

I appreciate his integrity. Sometimes these things happen as our society is always evolving, and all we can do is stand on our principals even though we may suffer some consequences for it.

musterion

Yes, I'd quit. To force them to fire me would be saying I'm above the law, but it's now the law of the land. Even if it's the wicked law of an iniquitous land, my job is to carry it out. If I can't or won't, I go.

GFR7

Yes, I'd quit. To force them to fire me would be saying I'm above the law, but it's now the law of the land. Even if it's the wicked law of an iniquitous land, my job is to carry it out. If I can't or won't, I go.
That makes the best sense. :thumb:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I would not quit, I would just refuse to do it and make them go through the pain of firing me than file a lawsuit for my rights being violated. These are the issues that divide America and will continue to divide us. I have said it all along, the homo crowd may win inclusion through the courts but, will never achieve societal acceptance.

smalcat

I disagree. If I am a doctor I want to heal people and to mend their broken bones. Now if society gets off tracks and most people expect of doctors to also kill unborn babies and most of doctors have no problem with it, I respect a doctor that stays a doctor.

Its same with magistrates. He should have every right to have a conscientious objection to some parts of the duties that he finds offensive. Let say those duties that people got imprisoned for less then 100 years ago.

To just quit a job is sort of running away from a problem.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Rockingham magistrate resigns over same-sex marriage

http://www.news-record.com/rockingh...cle_6d2170ac-556e-11e4-9d70-001a4bcf6878.html

Good for him - Its always awesome to see someone unwilling to compromise their faith in the Lord...
Praise God. He loses his job but he will be rewarded in heaven.

What a rare thing, indeed--a magistrate! Now, he can go get an honest job.

And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first [Matt. 19:29–30].

"There is to be a reward for the saved ones who have sacrificed for Jesus’ sake. Many an unknown saint, of whom the world has not heard, will be given first place in His presence someday. In that day I believe that many outstanding Christian leaders who receive wide acclaim in this life will be ignored while many unknown saints of God will be rewarded. What a glorious, wonderful picture this presents to us!"

musterion

I have said it all along, the homo crowd may win inclusion through the courts but, will never achieve societal acceptance.

Maybe, but don't underestimate how much further our society can yet slide. "As it was is the days of Noah..."

Maybe, but my conscience tells me refusing to carry out my duties is its own form of lawlessness. All things being equal, I am to work for my employer as if I'm working for God. If the employer (in this case, the state) takes a step I cannot agree with, I don't own that job -- it isn't "mine." That's about the extent of my libertarian leanings, which is why I'd leave with a clear conscience. Again, that's just me.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Maybe, but don't underestimate how much further our society can yet slide. "As it was is the days of Noah..."

I have no delusions that it will end up better than it is now but, my expectation is that it will further decay.

PureX

I disagree. If I am a doctor I want to heal people and to mend their broken bones. Now if society gets off tracks and most people expect of doctors to also kill unborn babies and most of doctors have no problem with it, I respect a doctor that stays a doctor.

Its same with magistrates. He should have every right to have a conscientious objection to some parts of the duties that he finds offensive. Let say those duties that people got imprisoned for less then 100 years ago.

If it's the purpose of a magistrate to carry out the laws of the land, and the person in that position cannot do so (for whatever reason), then he/she should step down. It's not about the magistrate, and what what HE wants. It's about the service required, and whether or not he can provide it.

It's the same with a doctor, or a pharmacist, or a soldier, or a state representative. These positions have been established by society to carry out various necessary social functions. If anyone in those positions happens to find themselves unable to perform their function, then they should relinquish the position and find some other that is more suitable for them. These are public service positions. They aren't about what the server wants.

It's not really a moral issue (except for the individual in question) so much as it's an issue of social practicality.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I would not. I would neither perform such marriages in a same way some doctors do not perform abortions.

If it would cost me my job it would cost me my job, but I would not quit.

It did cost him his job. That's the point. Lev 18:22, 20:13, 1 Ki 14:24, Ro 1:24, 26, 27 :vomit:

God has officially been kicked out of the public schools and now his followers are being kicked out of the workplace. God is gracious. If he's asked to leave, he will. His followers are gracious. If they are asked to leave, they will (Phil. 3:10; 1 Pet. 2:20, 21).

"Christianity and homosexuality are mutually exclusive...Either Christianity or homosexuality will be in the closet." ~ Bob Enyart

john w

Hall of Fame
“This is not an issue of people’s rights to have religious beliefs, but people try to spin it that way,” said Chris Sgro, the executive director of Equality NC. “This is their job, and it’s a job requirement.

“This is not an issue of Nazi soldiers' rights to have religious beliefs, but people try to spin it that way, said Heinrich Himler, the executive director of "The Final Solution, Inc.,"This is their job, and it’s a job requirement.”

Tinark

I would not quit, I would just refuse to do it and make them go through the pain of firing me than file a lawsuit for my rights being violated. These are the issues that divide America and will continue to divide us. I have said it all along, the homo crowd may win inclusion through the courts but, will never achieve societal acceptance.

You don't have a right to hold on to a job where you refuse to perform your job duties. You'd be rightfully charged with paying the defense's attorney fees and costs for pursuing a frivolous lawsuit.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
A judge has now resigned over this:

North Carolina Judge Resigns So He Won't Have To Conduct Gay Marriages, Thinks Other Magistrates Will Do The Same

A North Carolina county judge resigned on Monday because he did not want to violate his Christian faith and perform same-sex marriages, which are now permitted under the state's law.

With the news that North Carolina's same-sex marriage ban was struck down by a federal judge on Oct. 10, Judge Gilbert Breedlove, a 57-year-old magistrate in Swain County and also an ordained minister, could not, in good faith, be forced to conduct same-sex courthouse weddings when his Christian belief tells him that a marriage is only between a man and a woman.

"It was my only option," Breedlove told Citizen-Times. "We were directed we had to perform the marriages, and that was just something I couldn't do because of my religious beliefs."

Although Breedlove has been a magistrate for the past 24 years, he said the law, which judges are responsible for interpreting, no longer stands with his beliefs.

"I was Christian when I started," Breedlove said. "Then, the law didn't require me to perform something that was against my religious belief. Now that law has changed it's requirements."

Although Breedlove could claim he had two jobs as a pastor and a magistrate, the majority of his income came from his judgeship. However, he said he is not worried about his financial future because he put his full faith in the Lord.

"That's one of the things about being a Christian," Breedlove said. "You are able to serve the Lord and the Lord will provide."

The Bryson City community in which Breedlove served, is located next to a Cherokee Indian reservation and his wife was even raised a Cherokee. Breedlove's affinity for Jesus and Native Americans led him to help translate the Bible into the Choctaw Indian language. Having been a part of the Bible translation effort and being a part-time pastor, Breedlove said he is confident in the biblical truth about marriage.

"The whole Bible from front to end states that a marriage is between a man and a wife," he said. "Any other type of sexual activity other than that is what is defined as fornication."

With previous reports indicating that other North Carolina magistrates have also stepped down due to their objection to the state's new law permitting same-sex marriages, Breedlove said he believes more magistrates will continue stepping down as more same-sex couples look to wed by Christian magistrates. The state has issued over 600 same-sex wedding licenses in 60 of the state's counties......
read more here: http://www.christianpost.com/news/n...ks-other-magistrates-will-do-the-same-128532/

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Would I quit my job? It depends.

I turned down a good administrative job a few years ago because the outfit promoted gay marriage among other things. They were really surprised that I did that actually.

There is a homosexual guy who works in my office. I won't quit over that. He's actually a pretty cool guy and we get along. He's sexually perverted, but he doesn't wear his orientation on his sleeve and he doesn't sound like a limp-wrister when he talks, so I can live with it.

But if my company for some weird reason actually promoted same sex marriage and told me I had to get on board, I'd quit, for sure.,

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Would I quit my job? It depends.

I turned down a good administrative job a few years ago because the outfit promoted gay marriage among other things. They were really surprised that I did that actually.

There is a homosexual guy who works in my office. I won't quit over that. He's actually a pretty cool guy and we get along. He's sexually perverted, but he doesn't wear his orientation on his sleeve and he doesn't sound like a limp-wrister when he talks, so I can live with it.

But if my company for some weird reason actually promoted same sex marriage and told me I had to get on board, I'd quit, for sure.,

You wouldn't believe the number of companies now that promote it, but them promoting it and asking you to do so directly isnt really the same thing.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
You wouldn't believe the number of companies now that promote it, but them promoting it and asking you to do so directly isnt really the same thing.

Yeh, the big big companies have ways of promoting it that the little employee never knows about. But I work for a company with a relatively small number of employees.