Woman caught in adultery - lesson

iouae

What are we supposed to deduce from the story of the woman caught in adultery?
1) That none of us are good enough to execute justice?
2) That the law is done away with, and that now we are under grace?
3) That one cannot suddenly enforce Biblical Law in a predominantly unbiblical society?
4) That Law and Grace exist in a state of tension which cannot be resolved?

Read Josephus [Flavius'] account of life in Judea at the time of Christ. It makes today's Western corruption look like a Sunday School picnic.

I think I have seen it all on TV but reading Josephus distresses me. Life then was putrid, evil, rotten. The Pharisees were no different.

With that background, this bunch of snakes bring a woman caught in adultery to Christ for the express purpose of catching Him out.

Adultery back then was as common as adultery today. The Pharisees had figured out that Jesus was REALLY progressive in his attitude towards, and treatment of women. They watched Him treat women with never-before seen respect, watched him have women friends, heard He healed a Gentile woman's son of a demon etc. Here they thought they had an Achilles heel. So they deliberately go seeking a sinful woman. There were so many, it was not hard to find one, and they may even have set her up since no man is brought before Him.

They want to get Jesus to speak against the OT law, and they hope his love and grace will get Him to deny the operation of the law in this case.

Jesus is aware of all of this.

The woman is thrown at His feet, probably with her dress in a state of disarray as she is trying to cover herself to look more modest.

Jesus knows He cannot deny or renounce His own law. What they do not know is that Justice rests on two pillars viz. Law AND Grace. Even today's legal system makes allowance for extenuating circumstances.

Jesus thus makes a qualifying statement. "Let him who is without sin among you cast the first stone" (John 8:7)

Jesus was not just stalling for time writing on the ground. He MUST [imho] have been writing the sins of each accuser in the dust, not necessarily the name of the accuser, but a sin only he knew about. This was like what Christ will do when He sits to judge the world. He started with the hidden sins of the most influential, who probably appeared the most righteous. This guy read his sin, and left convicted by his conscience and the next hypocrite stepped up to see what Christ was writing. Christ had erased the previous sin like an Etch-A-Sketch, and was busy writing the sins of the observing Pharisee without so much as looking up to see the face. Christ was shown the whole life of that sinner in an instant.

When all had left, Christ then exercised His discretion as the only one without sin - NOT to cast the first stone.

Notice His judgement was to "Go, and sin no more" (John 8:11). Thus Christ had confirmed the existence and penalty of the law as still in operation (by calling what she did a "sin"), while at the same time letting her off with a warning [don't we all love it when the traffic policeman does that to us? Do we ever question whether the traffic policeman has done away with the traffic laws by giving a warning?].

If Christ had just been doodling randomly, why would the most self-righteous brood of snakes ever, have had a conscience attack right then?

When Christ rules the earth, which I believe He will do at His return, during the 7th millennium, those surviving the Great Tribulation will gather around Him in Jerusalem, and begin living by all the OT laws, including Sabbath and Feast days. (Zech 14:16).

THEN when ALL are keeping all of the law, and some one in a thousand person commits adultery, they will probably be given a warning, and if they do it again, will be stoned. If it were a second offence, they might go straight to the stoning.

If we had to try to apply OT law to today's society, nobody would be left alive who had not committed a Biblical capital crime.

musterion

The hypocrites who dragged her before Christ did not follow the rules for stoning. That's why He said He did not condemn her. He couldn't. But He did not say He forgave her. She evidently didn't want His forgiveness. So He warned her to stop committing adultery.

iouae

The hypocrites who dragged her before Christ did not follow the rules for stoning.

Which rules?

That's why He said He did not condemn her.

He did not condemn her because they had screwed up the serving process????

He couldn't.

But He did - He told her to knock it off with the sinning.

But He did not say He forgave her.

He let her off with a warning.

She evidently didn't want His forgiveness.

Are you psychic?

So He warned her to stop committing adultery.

Like I said all along :)

musterion

It was a clumsy attempt to trap Him.

If He had said she was forgiven, He would have been been mocked as guilty of condoning her sin and of ignoring the Law, since she was indisputably caught in the act.

If He had agreed to her stoning, He would have violated the procedure God laid down in the Law.

They figured they had Him either way. They were wrong.

Read the relevant texts for yourself. Read the Mosaic rules on what Israel was to do with adulterers, and how they were to do it, and you will no longer be confused.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
It was a clumsy attempt to trap Him.

If He had said she was forgiven, He would have been been mocked as guilty of condoning her sin and of ignoring the Law, since she was indisputably caught in the act.

If He had agreed to her stoning, He would have violated the procedure God laid down in the Law.

They figured they had Him either way. They were wrong.

Read the relevant texts for yourself. Read the Mosaic rules on what Israel was to do with adulterers, and how they were to do it, and you will no longer be confused.

Why didn't Jesus just ask the crowd to bring forth the men she committed adultery with? Do you think He didn't know who they were? Do you think the crowd didn't know? Or do you think it might just be possible that Jesus was introducing a higher standard of foreignness over retribution?

musterion

Why didn't Jesus just ask the crowd to bring forth the men she committed adultery with?

Wasn't His job. Read Lev 20:10. The man she was caught with should have been there right alongside the woman, if they were sincere in wanting justice. That they did not bring him shows they were not sincere.

Or do you think it might just be possible that Jesus was introducing a higher standard of foreignness over retribution?

He never said she was forgiven and, as far as the Text says, she showed no signs of wanting it. He said only that He didn't condemn her (as the Law required her death) but not to do it again; next time she wouldn't get off on a technicality.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Mosaic law presumed a person innocent unless there were two or more credible witnesses to testify against the accused.

All the men left and there were not two or more witnesses.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Wasn't His job. Read Lev 20:10. The man she was caught with should have been there right alongside the woman, if they were sincere in wanting justice. That they did not bring him shows they were not sincere.
So it's not God's job to judge men justly. Okay then.

He never said she was forgiven and, as far as the Text says, she showed no signs of wanting it. He said only that He didn't condemn her (as the Law required her death) but not to do it again; next time she wouldn't get off on a technicality.

He said he didn't condemn her. I have always understood that if God doesn't condemn you, He is forgiving you. Do you think God leaves you in this indeterminate state of neither condemned nor forgiven?

It always fascinates me how many Christians reject Christ's Gospel of forgiveness and redemption in favor of punishment and retubution. Is that really the measure you want to be judged by?

musterion

So it's not God's job to judge men justly. Okay then.

He said he didn't condemn her. I have always understood that if God doesn't condemn you, He is forgiving you. Do you think God leaves you in this indeterminate state of neither condemned nor forgiven?

It always fascinates me how many Christians reject Christ's Gospel of forgiveness and redemption in favor of punishment and retubution. Is that really the measure you want to be judged by?

:plain:

iouae

Lev 20
10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

This is all I find, so, nah, you have got nothing. I think you made that bit up.

Unless you have some extra-Biblical source, which would be a bunch of crock too.

PureX

Yes, it does seem to be an epidemic.

1555429_10154486437978327_7167513351090959765_n.jpg

bybee

The Mosaic law presumed a person innocent unless there were two or more credible witnesses to testify against the accused.

All the men left and there were not two or more witnesses.

All have sinned and fallen short.... No one with a shred of integrity would dare to condemn his/her neighbor. God is in charge of that activity and has told us not to do it. I am judged by God not my neighbor. My neighbor is judged by God's love and not by me.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
1) That none of us are good enough to execute justice?
2) That the law is done away with, and that now we are under grace?
3) That one cannot suddenly enforce Biblical Law in a predominantly unbiblical society?
4) That Law and Grace exist in a state of tension which cannot be resolved?

I've had this discussion with many a pagan and atheist in another thread.

The bottom line is if you or anyone else thinks that Jesus Christ (the Son of God/God in the flesh) let this woman go solely out of grace, that would make Him an anarchist (i.e. He didn't believe in the rule of (civil) law).

Other posters have correctly stated that no other witnesses came forward (it takes two to commit adultery, either the male adulterer would have had to come forward, thus implicating himself, or two witnesses (per Roman civil law) would have had to state that the man was guilty of adultery as well), thus there was no case against the woman.

Now here are questions that no one seems to be able to answer:

If Jesus Christ/the Son of God/God in the flesh was indeed an anarchist like many are implying, why is this the only case recorded where He let an accused criminal go? Why didn't He intervene in arrests by civil authorities for other crimes? Why didn't He go to the prisons and demand that these convicted criminals be set free?

God ordained civil government as one of three institutions for the governance of man (the Church and Family being the other two).

He is no anarchist, He let the woman go (with a stern warning to sin no more) because there was lack of evidence to arrest her for the crime of adultery.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
He is able to forgive.

Jn 8:11 "...No man, Lord (Οὐδεις, Κυριε [Oudeis, Kurie]). “No one, Sir.” She makes no excuse for her sin. Does she recognize Jesus as “Lord”? Neither do I condemn thee (Οὐδε ἐγω σε κατακρινω [Oude egō se katakrinō]). Jesus does not condone her sin. See 8:15 for “I do not judge (condemn) any one.” But he does give the poor woman another chance. Henceforth sin no more (ἀπο του νυν μηκετι ἁμαρτανε [apo tou nun mēketi hamartane]). See also 5:14 where this same language is used to the impotent man. It literally means (prohibition with present active imperative): “Henceforth no longer go on sinning.” One can only hope that the woman was really changed in heart and life. Jesus clearly felt that even a wicked woman can be saved." Robertson, A. T. (1933). Word Pictures in the New Testament (Jn 8:11). Nashville, TN: Broadman Press.

musterion

Lev 20
10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer AND the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

This is all I find, so, nah, you have got nothing. I think you made that bit up.

:plain:

iouae

John 3
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.