Wokey McWokeface

Hoping

Banned
And, as usual with the KJV, that's mistranslated.

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil: which some reaching after have been led astray from the faith, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
(1 Timothy 6:10 RV)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, and in their eagerness to be rich some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains.
(1 Timothy 6:10 NRSV)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
(1 Timothy 6:10 NKJV)
So what was mistranslated?
What difference is there between "all" and "all kinds of"?

Rhema

So what was mistranslated?
What difference is there between "all" and "all kinds of"?
You don't see a difference between a universal principle stating that every evil is based on the love of money, and the recognition that the love of money leads to all kinds of different evils?

If you don't, then there's nothing more that can be said. But I can assure you that Much evil has nothing to do with money, but more so pride and anger.

Rhema

Hoping

Banned
You don't see a difference between a universal principle stating that every evil is based on the love of money, and the recognition that the love of money leads to all kinds of different evils?

If you don't, then there's nothing more that can be said. But I can assure you that Much evil has nothing to do with money, but more so pride and anger.

Rhema
They are the same things, with different phrasing.

Hoping

Banned
The sentence, "There were all kinds of April Fools pranks going on in our school today" does not mean that literally every prank that anyone has ever thought of or ever will think of happened in that school that day.
That being the case, then (A) "the love of money is the root of all evil" is more inclusive than (B) "the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil".
That means A is a lie.
The love of money is not the root of all evil but it is the root of all kinds of evil.

What does the word "all" mean to you?
Total?
Every?
None excepted?
If the love of money is the root of ALL kinds of evil, what kind of evil is not included?

Rhema

They are the same things, with different phrasing.
No they're not, hoping, and I have extensive education in semiotics.

And so I'll repeat why. Most all evil that I know of comes from pride and anger / hatred. None of which has anything to do with money.

I don't understand why you feel the need to defend a mistranslation that promotes faulty doctrine. But I do recognize that Jesus said this:

No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.​
(Luke 5:39 KJV)​

Rhema

Rhema

That means A is a lie.
Yes, the mistranslation is a lie. One should prefer an accurate translation.

What does the word "all" mean to you?
It doesn't matter, because the word is PAS, a Greek word and one should grasp the concept of what PAS means.

So I give you a link to the Liddell Scott Lexicon for PAS.

Note Section III... "every" as in "every sort of evil"

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.​
(1 Timothy 6:10 KJV)​

The above states a universal principle that is wrong. When Adam and Eve ate of the fruit, were they after money? (Hardly...)

For the love of money is a root for every sort of evil, and in their eagerness to be rich some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains.​
(1 Timothy 6:10 NRSV+)​

The above here, states that indeed, the love of money is root for murder, slavery, theft, forgery. oppression, pimping, bearing false witness and lying ... every sort of evil. But it's just not true that ALL evils committed are out of the love of money. What's the purpose of imposing gender dysphoria to damage the soul of a child enough to create an insane belief of Transgender Identity? Evil greedy doctors wanting to be paid? Big Pharma wanting all your money? The activists out there are not protesting with the expectation of getting money out of this. So there's an evil of which money is not a root.

what kind of evil is not included?
Racism. Sexism. Anger. Hatred. Religious wars. The promulgation of evil idolatries. (to name a few)

Hope that helps.
Rhema

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Not content to alienate the 99.7% of citizens in America who aren't transgender and don't really give a darn and don't want it shoved down their throats every time they go shopping, Target doubles down and decides to alienate the 76% of the American population who identify as white:

Hoping

Banned
No they're not, hoping, and I have extensive education in semiotics.

And so I'll repeat why. Most all evil that I know of comes from pride and anger / hatred. None of which has anything to do with money.

I don't understand why you feel the need to defend a mistranslation that promotes faulty doctrine. But I do recognize that Jesus said this:

No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.​
(Luke 5:39 KJV)​

Rhema
I'll stick with Paul in 1 Tim 6:10..."For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

Rhema

I'll stick with Paul in 1 Tim 6:10..."For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
Why you are content to "stick" with bad translations that don't even make sense is beyond me.

Because that's NOT what Paul said. Rather, he wrote this, "ριζα γαρ παντων των κακων εστιν η φιλαργυρια ης τινες ορεγομενοι απεπλανηθησαν απο της πιστεως και εαυτους περιεπειραν οδυναις πολλαις."

It's not my fault that you can't read.

Rhema

Hoping

Banned
Why you are content to "stick" with bad translations that don't even make sense is beyond me.

Because that's NOT what Paul said. Rather, he wrote this, "ριζα γαρ παντων των κακων εστιν η φιλαργυρια ης τινες ορεγομενοι απεπλανηθησαν απο της πιστεως και εαυτους περιεπειραν οδυναις πολλαις."

It's not my fault that you can't read.

Rhema
I trust him.