Why The Republicans Will Lose The Next Election.

Morpheus

The president has nothing to do with the debt... look at who controls congress. When democrats control congress the debt gets out of hand.. when republicans control the congress, debt goes down or stays the same

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U...ngress_Control_and_Presidents_Highlighted.png
That's easy to say when it's convenient, but it's overly simplistic. The concept of Reaganomics, or as I pointed out earlier also referred to as "starve the beast", has defined Republican orthodoxy since its introduction. Reagan's party fell in line behind him, and has defended this abomination ever since, making it's goal of destroying Social Security, Medicare and all other social programs the party's ultimate objective. So technically the President doesn't control the purse-strings; but in reality he regularly controls his party.

Having said that, I believe that Reagan was chosen by his party, or should I say Wall Street, because of his job experience as an ad-man. He "sold" a dangerous, destructive economic plan the same way he sold cigarettes. His Wall Street handlers managed him well.

99lamb

They do.

That said, I think Obama's floundering. Outlook not so good.

Why is he floundering?
*Because he is inexperienced in private sector wealth building?
*Because his core philosophy is inadequate to solve free market economics?
*Because people are no longer mystified by his rhetoric?
or something else?

99lamb

That's easy to say when it's convenient, but it's overly simplistic. The concept of Reaganomics, or as I pointed out earlier also referred to as "starve the beast", has defined Republican orthodoxy since its introduction. Reagan's party fell in line behind him, and has defended this abomination ever since, making it's goal of destroying Social Security, Medicare and all other social programs the party's ultimate objective. So technically the President doesn't control the purse-strings; but in reality he regularly controls his party.

Let's take just one point, the destruction of S.S. or Medicare. Would you be against the idea of 'opt in' rather than automatic 'no choice' enrollment?

PureX

Why is he floundering?
or something else?
Several reasons.

1. When he had a democratic majority, he didn't kick his own party legislators in the butt and make them enact the reforms he knew were needed. Big mistake! Result: he didn't make the kinds of changes we needed to begin a real recovery.

2. He kept trying to compromise with republicans when the republicans had no intention of compromising with him on anything. Big waste of time. Result: he couldn't make the kinds of changes we needed to begin a real recovery.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
But when a few can convince the masses that cutting government revenues and increasing government spending will somehow eventually increase government revenues because of increased productivity it is called brainwashing. I know it is hard to accept because it means that you must admit to being a dupe.
Kennedy and Reagan did it and showed that it works. Oh. Government revenue don't increase because of increased productivity, they increase because the tax base expands.

So, when are you going to admit to being a brainwashed dupe?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can't imagine any president getting reelected in this economy, but I have been known to be wrong.

HisServant

Having said that, I believe that Reagan was chosen by his party, or should I say Wall Street, because of his job experience as an ad-man. He "sold" a dangerous, destructive economic plan the same way he sold cigarettes. His Wall Street handlers managed him well.

There is nothing wrong with starving the beast if the end goal is to make the government more efficient.

My take on the Government right now is that we don't need any new programs, as a matter of fact, we need to trim redundancy and make things way more efficient.

Then there is the fact that is we got rid of our debt, we could easily pay for our current programs without any budget cuts or tax increases.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
To be fair to Reagan, he didn't leave office with that kind of debt. It was still the highest percentage increase, but a massive tax increase in his second term started to bring it down.

Morpheus

Let's take just one point, the destruction of S.S. or Medicare. Would you be against the idea of 'opt in' rather than automatic 'no choice' enrollment?
Absolutely not. The program was never designed for individuals to actually have retirement savings managed by the government; that would have introduced two major flaws. The first being that inflation would eat up a large portion of that savings in real dollars, and the second being that everyone above a median age would have still been left to fend for themselves. Social Security was designed so that present workers donations would cover the majority of retirees benefit expense in present-day dollars. Then when those workers retire, after having paid their fair share into the program, other workers would cover their benefit expense. Some adjustments were made to build a surplus for a time to prepare for the baby-boomers, but that surplus became too tempting for later administrations and Congress and they "used" those revenues to pay for part of their tax cuts. Now the blame Social Security for their fiscal crisis instead of admitting it was the tax cuts made for political reasons, as well as those I spelled out earlier designed specifically to destroy Social Security. By making Social Security "voluntary" it would take revenues from the plan necessary to care for present retirees.

Kennedy and Reagan did it and showed that it works. Oh. Government revenue don't increase because of increased productivity, they increase because the tax base expands.

So, when are you going to admit to being a brainwashed dupe?
Data countering the claim that Reagan "increased" revenues. Look Here Kennedy reduced the upper income rate from 91% to 70%. I will admit that Eisenhower's 91% was excessive, and that changing it to 70% likely motivated investment. Reagan, on the other hand, cut that 70% upper rate to 28% by 1986. Imagine cutting your income from say $35,000 to $14,000. What would it do to your household budget? I will admit that that analogy is simplistic, since Reagan also increased other taxed during his latter years, reducing the damage done. Bush did not.
There is nothing wrong with starving the beast if the end goal is to make the government more efficient.

My take on the Government right now is that we don't need any new programs, as a matter of fact, we need to trim redundancy and make things way more efficient.

Then there is the fact that is we got rid of our debt, we could easily pay for our current programs without any budget cuts or tax increases.
The truth is that the bush tax cuts wiped out a balanced budget and a budget surplus, and drove us into deep deficits in less than two years of his presidency. He then continued to drive the nails deeper.

The goal of "starve the beast" was always to create such a deep fiscal crisis that the destruction of social programs could be achieved. Actually many believe that it goes much farther. If you look at the move for states to turn over city management to private businesses, removing power from local elected officials, it is but one example. There are others, but I will not begin to list them this time of night. Our fiscal crisis was a Republican strategy, not poor management. They viewed these deficits as beneficial to their goals. Don't you recall the quotes, "Some deficits are good."? So is it the ultimate goal to change our republic into an oligarchy? I don't know, but it is possible.

Last edited:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Absolutely not. The program was never designed for individuals to actually have retirement savings managed by the government; that would have introduced two major flaws. The first being that inflation would eat up a large portion of that savings in real dollars, and the second being that everyone above a median age would have still been left to fend for themselves. Social Security was designed so that present workers donations would cover the majority of retirees benefit expense in present-day dollars. Then when those workers retire, after having paid their fair share into the program, other workers would cover their benefit expense. Some adjustments were made to build a surplus for a time to prepare for the baby-boomers, but that surplus became too tempting for later administrations and Congress and they "used" those revenues to pay for part of their tax cuts. Now the blame Social Security for their fiscal crisis instead of admitting it was the tax cuts made for political reasons, as well as those I spelled out earlier designed specifically to destroy Social Security. By making Social Security "voluntary" it would take revenues from the plan necessary to care for present retirees.

Data countering the claim that Reagan "increased" revenues. Look Here Kennedy reduced the upper income rate from 91% to 70%. I will admit that Eisenhower's 91% was excessive, and that changing it to 70% likely motivated investment. Reagan, on the other hand, cut that 70% upper rate to 28% by 1986. Imagine cutting your income from say $35,000 to $14,000. What would it do to your household budget? I will admit that that analogy is simplistic, since Reagan also increased other taxed during his latter years, reducing the damage done. Bush did not.
The truth is that the bush tax cuts wiped out a balanced budget and a budget surplus, and drove us into deep deficits in less than two years of his presidency. He then continued to drive the nails deeper.

The goal of "starve the beast" was always to create such a deep fiscal crisis that the destruction of social programs could be achieved. Actually many believe that it goes much farther. If you look at the move for states to turn over city management to private businesses, removing power from local elected officials, it is but one example. There are others, but I will not begin to list them this time of night. Our fiscal crisis was a Republican strategy, not poor management. They viewed these deficits as beneficial to their goals. Don't you recall the quotes, "Some deficits are good."? So is it the ultimate goal to change our republic into an oligarchy? I don't know, but it is possible.
So, When are you going to admit to being a brainwashed dupe?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Why is he floundering?
or something else?

I don't think he's a very good leader, and I also think his opposition hates his guts and determined from day one that they'd work to see him fail. That's not a good combo.

HisServant

The truth is that the bush tax cuts wiped out a balanced budget and a budget surplus.

The truth is that even with the supposed surplus.. not a single dime went to pay down the debt.. the surplus was used for new programs and give aways... which in turn required even more revenue to sustain in later years.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
I don't think he's a very good leader, and I also think his opposition hates his guts and determined from day one that they'd work to see him fail. That's not a good combo.
So went the liberal opinion of George Bush also. What was the difference?

Morpheus

So, When are you going to admit to being a brainwashed dupe?
When are you going to learn to read? Being raised in Indiana I'm sure that (1) you were likely brainwashed in Republican orthodoxy from birth, and (2) your school probably failed you miserably. I remember tutoring the "slow kids". So what is your real name? We may have met.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
When are you going to learn to read?
:darwinsm: I learned to read a long time ago. You?
Being raised in Indiana I'm sure that (1) you were likely brainwashed in Republican orthodoxy from birth,
I was not raised in Indiana. My family were primarily Roosevelt Democrats who raised me in Democrat orthodoxy.
and (2) your school probably failed you miserably.
The schools I attended did an excellent job. As I remember, my teachers were rather apolitical.
I remember tutoring the "slow kids".
I'm sure you remember being tutored as one.
So what is your real name?
:darwinsm: Yes, there are some who are "slow."
We may have met.
Possible, but unlikely.

Greenrage

The Democrats must be defeated and thrown out of office. the man is berzerk and does not know how to be a President. Four more years of this Muslim in the White House will put our country beyond recovery.
Romney is a good choice.

This kind of Tea Party lunacy, totally dissociated from reality, is why Obama will defeat the poor GOP candidate in a landslide.

I love the Tea Party. It's like a Golem that will destroy conservatism in this country by revealing just how bizarre and pathological it is.

PureX

This kind of Tea Party lunacy, totally dissociated from reality, is why Obama will defeat the poor GOP candidate in a landslide.

I love the Tea Party. It's like a Golem that will destroy conservatism in this country by revealing just how bizarre and pathological it is.
Not to mention that the GOP is lining up against the 99%ers. That's going to spell big problems for them come election time, because a lot of the 99%ers are moderates who are not Obama fans. They could be won over by a good republican candidate, but instead the republicans are going to try and insult and humiliate them as "liberals" just to please the idiots in the "tea party". Big political mistake!

some other dude

Purex, Greenie, please promise that you will remain on this site next year after the election to reap the riducule you will so richly deserve. :chuckle:

Meanwhile, Obama's approval ratings are in the toilet and the Granite State has just flushed.

A WMUR Granite State Poll show President Obama’s approval ratings have hit a new low in New Hampshire.

Why?

The reason is the same as when President Clinton was up for re-election, “it’s the economy stupid.”

Smith: only 37% say they approve of the job he’s doing handling the economy, the president again, fairly or unfairly gets credit or blame for the direction the country is headed.

These poll numbers mean that President Obama will have an uphill battle to win New Hampshire in 2012.

Smith says that, historically, Presidential approval ratings need to be somewhere north of 44 percent to carry a state.

For NHPR News, I’m Sam Evans-Brown