ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
I have been Evangelical Protestant most of my life, even spending some time living in a fulltime religious community.

The more I researched the origin of the bible and the history of my faith, the more I discovered the Catholic Church.

I am taking steps towards joining the Catholic Church and my question is this....'Why shouldn't I?'

I am not asking because I doubt my journey, I am asking because I haven't come across a good enough reason NOT to join.

Each side, for and against may debate, I look forward to reading each side's responses.

So, why shouldn't I convert to the Catholic Church?

Lon

Same reason there was a Reformation in the first place. Here is a link to one person's reasons. A good many of them seem 'taste' oriented but it seems like you are looking for them too.
1. Cover-ups. You don't a. keep a predator in office and b. you don't coerce families hurt to sign absolvence and c. you don't break the laws of the land and hide them.
'Some' protestant/evangelical churches do this but most turn the person over to law authorities and it is mostly volunteers rather than pastors or others hired by the church that would bring statistics anywhere near this from the RC.
Check with a church that screens all pastors, hires, and volunteers with background checks and go there instead. :up:
2. You, have no voice just like it or lump it on all topics of doctrine and practice. I'm not saying 'democracy' (Protestants aren't that either) I'm saying it is a dictatorship where you will question the dictators and wonder if what they say and did is from God (like #1 above) and have absolutely no say, they won't even ask you. A good many protestant churches are congregational run and the pastor is accountable to his congregation.
3. Doctrine. I'm of differing opinion with about 10% of doctrine (or less) with the RC, but I'm against some of the practicum as well and I certainly don't believe Papal authority has gone unbroken because of it. I would have to see scripture backing up every doctrine and it appears to me that there are a few that fly in the face of scripture.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
1. Cover-ups. You don't a. keep a predator in office and b. you don't coerce families hurt to sign absolvence and c. you don't break the laws of the land and hide them.
'Some' protestant/evangelical churches do this but most turn the person over to law authorities and it is mostly volunteers rather than pastors or others hired by the church that would bring statistics anywhere near this from the RC.
Check with a church that screens all pastors, hires, and volunteers with background checks and go there instead. :up:

thank you lon for another opportunity to point out that the Church no longer knowingly ordains homosexuals

Jason0047

Well, not that I have anything against Catholics as people (For I am commanded by God to love all people), however, their beliefs are highly unbiblical and wrong, my friend. For it is obvious the RCC is a false religion because they worship or bow down to idols. Do you worship idols or statues? Click on the following spoiler button to learn more.

Spoiler
Images_zpsd493ea5f.png

GoldCalf02_zps1e2d1a90.png

When Moses came down to see everyone bowing down to a statue of a bull. How did he react?

The10Commandments02_zpsdd8e5eac.png

Well, he was angry and for good reason because they were breaking the 2nd Commandment. So how is worshiping the golden image of a calf any different than what these people are doing?

pope-mary-statue_zpsffce6334.jpg

Maryworshipedagain_zpsf4902dba.png

mary_zpsd591baed.png

Maryworshiped_zps2765a712.png

I say this with love, but the short answer, there is no difference.

Revelation 18:4 -"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying,

"Come out of her, my people, that you be not partakers of her sins, and that you receive not of her plagues."

Again, I say this all in love and for those who are involved in the RCC to re-examine what they believe according to God's Word. For the Lord and His Word should be our first and final authority in everything.

In addition, they also amass (not mass) great wealth for themselves and make themselves to appear as being very religious. What did Jesus say about men who want to appear religious outwardly before men? What did he say about placing our treasures here upon this Earth? Why would you consider in joining them if they are so obviously not anything like the apostles that are described in the Bible? In other words, when I compare the RCC to the men in the Bible, they are a far cry from the life of Jesus (Who is God Almighty in the flesh), Paul, Peter, James, and John. No kissing of rings. Nobody acting superior to others. No men going to a priest to be forgiven in the New Testament.

Furthermore, what is even more disturbing is that the RCC is prophetically "Mystery Babylon." Here are just a few clues...

Reasons Why the Catholic Church (Vatican) is Mystery Babylon:

#1. The Queen of Heaven.
(Mary Worship)

The Roman Catholic church believes Mary to be an important aspect of their faith. They can pray to her and bow down to statues of her. In fact, many in the Catholic faith believe that she plays part in being a co-redeemer with Christ. There have been claims of apparitions of seeing Mary by many and she is given an almost god like status. In fact, she has been called the "Queen of Heaven" by Catholics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_of_Heaven

However, in Revelation 18, Mystery Babylon or the Whore describes herself as a "queen." Which is one of the central hallmarks or distinctions of the Catholic faith. For to them, she is the "queen of heaven."

Revelation 18:7
"How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow."
In fact, Catholicism is the same mystery religion that has existed even in the Old Testament with it's own "Queen of Heaven", too. How so? Is their Biblical proof? Well, yes, there is.

The words or name "queen of heaven" appears as a pagan goddess of worship in the Old Testament five times (Jeremiah 7:18) (Jeremiah 44:17, 18, 19, 25).

#2. The Golden Cup of Abominations
(The Eucharist or the Mass)

The woman riding the Beast has a golden cup in her hand. This is one of the holiest instruments in Roman Catholicism: the golden chalice used in the Eucharist or Mass. The Roman Catholic Church possesses literally hundreds of thousands of solid gold chalices (Which of course represents the Eucharist or the Mass). Anyways, here is the "golden cup of abominations" mentioned in Scripture.

Revelation 17:4
"And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication"

#3. The Confusion at the Tower of Babylon Continues:
(Anti-Sola Scriptura - Yea, Hath God said?)

Rome is Babylon all over again. As Babylon’s “carbon copy,” Rome provides a perfect example of history repeating itself! But more to the point, this woman who sits on seven hills which is this Church located in Rome, has revived the same pagan teachings that ancient Babylon taught ages ago. She baptizes them, sanctifies them, and brings them into the Christian Church. Ages ago, when presumptuous men tried to build the Tower of Babel at Babylon, God confused their language. Genesis 11:1-9. So here in the last book of the Bible, “Babylon” is a spiritual term referring to confusion, not the confusion of languages in the Old Testament but religious confusion as the Church drifted away from God’s Word.

For Anti-Sola Scriptura is the "name of the game" and one cannot rely upon God's Word as one's sole source of authority. In the Catholic church one needs to also obey the church leaders even if it might appear to contradict the Word of God. They are religious men who know the Word of God better than you can. They tell you cannot know the deep things of God. They are the holy men who are better than you. So just follow what they say and do not put too much trust in that good book that comes from God. So the true authority of God's Word is taken away and confusion sets in. It is a mystery religion. So leave the mystery up to the men who are more worthy such as the pope, the cardnials, bishops, and priests. It is like the old days were the Catholic priests who spoke and written in Latin did not want the common man to read their Bibles. They wanted to put their claws into the common man and gain control of them (with them being in confusion over what the Word of God is really saying).

Catholicism's Attempt to Take Away Your Bible

For Catholicism or this Mystery Babylon stands upon the many waters and it's influence is global. It's goal is control. Just as it was back in the Tower of Babel.

Anyways, love, blessings, and peace from the Lord be unto you all.
And it is my highest hope that the truth of God's Word will shine upon you in a deeper way today.

Sources Used:
http://www.mystery-babylon.net/
http://focusonjerusalem.com/MysteryBabylonIdentified.htm

Jason0047

Update: Why is Mystery Babylon unmistakenly the Roman Catholic Church?

Well, while there are many reasons (according to Scripture), here are seven major ones that should hopefully erase any doubt for you.

#1. Roman Catholic Church is adorned in purple in scarlet (i.e. Cardinals wear scarlet and Archbishops wear purple (Which one can witness a sea of scarlet and purple in outdoor Catholic gatherings)). This is the exact colors of the Harlot, for she is adorned in purple in scarlet (Revelation 17:3-4).

#2. Roman Catholic Church has caused the death of more Christians than any other church could aspire to. Scripture states that the Harlot is drunk with the blood of the saints (Revelation 17:6).

#3. Roman Catholic Church (Rome) sits upon seven hills. The seven heads of the beast on which the woman (the harlot church) is said to sit are said to be representative of seven hills (Revelation 17:9).

#4. Roman Catholic Church which is referred to as a woman is synomous with being a city (i.e. the Vatican) that has great world wide influence (Revelation 17:18).

#5. Roman Catholic Church (Vatican) is a city of great wealth. In fact, if you were to read Revelation 18:9-19, you would see the financial fall of the city known as Babylon. This city was said to have great wealth and the people mourned over it's economic collapse. The previous chapter (Revelation 17) mentioned Mystery Babylon as a false religious world system (i.e. a Harlot), as well. So what religious world institution exists today who has a global wide influence financially in addition to it being known as a religious entity?

#6. Roman Catholic Church worships the "Queen of Heaven" (Mary).
The Harlot calls herself a "Queen" (Revelation 18:7).

#7. Roman Catholic Church participates in the Eucharist or the Mass with a "golden cup." The Harlot drinks from a "golden cup" of abominations (Revelation 17:4).

Therefore, in conclusion:
The seven major clues or points in Scripture clearly tell us that the Harlot is the Roman Catholic Church within Revelation 17-18. If it is not, then it is by far the most strangest fluke or random chance parallel for no reason. However, I do not believe in coincidences. I believe everything happens for a reason by a perfectly sovereign God.

Nimrod

I have been Evangelical Protestant most of my life, even spending some time living in a fulltime religious community.

The more I researched the origin of the bible and the history of my faith, the more I discovered the Catholic Church.

I am taking steps towards joining the Catholic Church and my question is this....'Why shouldn't I?'

I am not asking because I doubt my journey, I am asking because I haven't come across a good enough reason NOT to join.

Each side, for and against may debate, I look forward to reading each side's responses.

Have you read the Council of Trent? It might be a good idea to brush up the most holy of holy Council that ever happened in man's existence.

Going to Rome means you must accept everything the Council of Trent says.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Well, not that I have anything against Catholics as people (For I am commanded by God to love all people), however, their beliefs are highly unbiblical and wrong, my friend. For it is obvious the RCC is a false religion because they worship or bow down to idols. Do you worship idols or statues? Click on the following spoiler button to learn more.

Spoiler

GoldCalf02_zps1e2d1a90.png

When Moses came down to see everyone bowing down to a statue of a bull. How did he react?

The10Commandments02_zpsdd8e5eac.png

Well, he was angry and for good reason because they were breaking the 2nd Commandment. So how is worshiping the golden image of a calf any different than what these people are doing?

pope-mary-statue_zpsffce6334.jpg

Maryworshipedagain_zpsf4902dba.png

mary_zpsd591baed.png

Maryworshiped_zps2765a712.png

I say this with love, but the short answer, there is no difference.

Revelation 18:4 -"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying,

"Come out of her, my people, that you be not partakers of her sins, and that you receive not of her plagues."

Again, I say this all in love and for those who are involved in the RCC to re-examine what they believe according to God's Word. For the Lord and His Word should be our first and final authority in everything.

Anyways, love, blessings, and peace from the Lord be unto you all.
And it is my highest hope that the truth of God's Word will shine upon you in a deeper way today.
In addition, they also amass (not mass) great wealth for themselves and make themselves to appear as being very religious. What did Jesus say about men who want to appear religious outwardly before men? What did he say about placing our treasures here upon this Earth? Why would you consider in joining them if they are so obviously not anything like the apostles that are described in the Bible? In other words, when I compare the RCC to the men in the Bible, they are a far cry from the life of Jesus (Who is God Almighty in the flesh), Paul, Peter, James, and John. No kissing of rings. Nobody acting superior to others. No men going to a priest to be forgiven in the New Testament.

Furthermore, what is even more disturbing is that the RCC is prophetically "Mystery Babylon." Here are just a few clues...

Reasons Why the Catholic Church (Vatican) is Mystery Babylon:

#1. The Queen of Heaven.
(Mary Worship)

The Roman Catholic church believes Mary to be an important aspect of their faith. They can pray to her and bow down to statues of her. In fact, many in the Catholic faith believe that she plays part in being a co-redeemer with Christ. There have been claims of apparitions of seeing Mary by many and she is given an almost god like status. In fact, she has been called the "Queen of Heaven" by Catholics.

However, in Revelation 18, Mystery Babylon or the Whore describes herself as a "queen." Which is one of the central hallmarks or distinctions of the Catholic faith. For to them, she is the "queen of heaven."

Revelation 18:7
"How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow."
In fact, Catholicism is the same mystery religion that has existed even in the Old Testament with it's own "Queen of Heaven", too. How so? Is their Biblical proof? Well, yes, there is.

The words or name "queen of heaven" appears as a pagan goddess of worship in the Old Testament five times (Jeremiah 7:18) (Jeremiah 44:17, 18, 19, 25).

#2. The Golden Cup of Abominations
(The Eucharist or the Mass)

The woman riding the Beast has a golden cup in her hand. This is one of the holiest instruments in Roman Catholicism: the golden chalice used in the Eucharist or Mass. The Roman Catholic Church possesses literally hundreds of thousands of solid gold chalices (Which of course represents the Eucharist or the Mass). Anyways, here is the "golden cup of abominations" mentioned in Scripture.

Revelation 17:4
"And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication"

#3. The Confusion at the Tower of Babylon Continues:
(Anti-Sola Scriptura - Yea, Hath God said?)

Rome is Babylon all over again. As Babylon’s “carbon copy,” Rome provides a perfect example of history repeating itself! But more to the point, this woman who sits on seven hills which is this Church located in Rome, has revived the same pagan teachings that ancient Babylon taught ages ago. She baptizes them, sanctifies them, and brings them into the Christian Church. Ages ago, when presumptuous men tried to build the Tower of Babel at Babylon, God confused their language. Genesis 11:1-9. So here in the last book of the Bible, “Babylon” is a spiritual term referring to confusion, not the confusion of languages in the Old Testament but religious confusion as the Church drifted away from God’s Word.

For Anti-Sola Scriptura is the "name of the game" and one cannot rely upon God's Word as one's sole source of authority. In the Catholic church one needs to also obey the church leaders even if it might appear to contradict the Word of God. They are religious men who know the Word of God better than you can. They tell you cannot know the deep things of God. They are the holy men who are better than you. So just follow what they say and do not put too much trust in that good book that comes from God. So the true authority of God's Word is taken away and confusion sets in. It is a mystery religion. So leave the mystery up to the men who are more worthy such as the pope, the cardnials, bishops, and priests. It is like the old days were the Catholic priests who spoke and written in Latin did not want the common man to read their Bibles. They wanted to put their claws into the common man and gain control of them (with them being in confusion over what the Word of God is really saying).

Catholicism's Attempt to Take Away Your Bible

For Catholicism or this Mystery Babylon stands upon the many waters and it's influence is global. It's goal is control. Just as it was back in the Tower of Babel.

Sources Used:
http://www.mystery-babylon.net/
http://focusonjerusalem.com/MysteryBabylonIdentified.htm

this may be the best reason for you to not convert

you will have to put up with stuff like this
and
it doesn't get any easier with time

Jason0047

and it doesn't get any easier with time

Opinions are not Scripture. Only God's Word is a person's sole authority. Then again, the true RCC member does believe that (Because they are anti Sola Scriptura). They believe men (i.e. the church) has co-equal authority to Scripture. But we are to submit to God and His Word. That is our ultimate authority. For we are to study to show ourselves approved unto God (2 Timothy 2:15 KJV). So if this is the case, then how did the RCC in the past help the man who did not know Latin to study God's Word when they forbade men to study the Scriptures in Latin? For they spoke Latin to their congregation and they had NO clue what was being said. Then again, I am sure the RCC has their own version of history that tries to re-write events like this. But this all besides the point. If one were to just read their New Testament, and get a notebook and a pen out, and create two columns (One being the apostles described in the Scriptures and one being the so called relgisious men of the RCC), then one can clearly see that the two columns do not match up in the slightest. Only a small select few verses must be twisted out of context to defend the RCC religious world view.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
You don't a. keep a predator in office and b. you don't coerce families hurt to sign absolvence and c. you don't break the laws of the land and hide them.

My local Cathedral ensures those who work with minors or vunerable adults have a CRB (Criminal Records Background Check). This check is conducted not just once, but every 3 years as a minimum.

They don't break the laws of the land as you say, but in fact are very cautious. I admit the church made mistakes in the past and am not oblivious to this fact. Actions have been taken to ensure openess.

I looked into all of this in detail, I am satisfied that changes have been made.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
My local Cathedral ensures those who work with minors or vunerable adults have a CRB (Criminal Records Background Check). This check is conducted not just once, but every 3 years as a minimum.

my wife is fighting mad about this
just because of a few lousy priests
she is treated like a criminal

yes, they have her fingerprints

RichRock

BANNED
Banned

and
it doesn't get any easier with time

The anti-intellectual preconceived sectarian biased anti-Catholic rhetoric I have encountered in just the first couple of hours of this thread intetests me.
I used to think the same, but as I investigated further I discovered I was beleiving someone else's rhetoric and not actual facts. During my research the truth began to shine through.
I was just wondering if anyone had a reasonable argument why I shouldn't join the Catholic Church, but I haven't discovered one based on fact yet.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Update: Why is Mystery Babylon unmistakenly the Roman Catholic Church?

#1. Roman Catholic Church is adorned in purple in scarlet (i.e. Cardinals wear scarlet and Archbishops wear purple (Which one can witness a sea of scarlet and purple in outdoor Catholic gatherings)). This is the exact colors of the Harlot, for she is adorned in purple in scarlet (Revelation 17:3-4).

So you are saying that I shouldn't convert to Catholicism because Bishops wear purple? That's your strongest reason and number 1 on your list?

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned

God bless you. It takes courage and honesty to make the journey home.

May God keep and bless you during your journey.

If you ever have any questions you can always PM me.

Jason0047

So you are saying that I shouldn't convert to Catholicism because Bishops wear purple? That's your strongest reason and number 1 on your list?

In prophecy, one does not look at one piece of information. They look at a pattern of a collection of information. I did not say that was the sole reason for the reason why the RCC is false.

Besides, how do you not see that idolatry or the worship of statues is not wrong? Do you bow down to statues now? Do you currently pray to the dead? If you join the RCC, you will be able to pray to dead people. Yet the Bible condemns such a practice. Read your Bible, my friend. God's Word does not support such an obvious and dark religious institution.