ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

Cruciform

Do you truly want to know? If I tell you to examine yourself to find out, how would you do that?

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?
I would know according to the test that the apostles give us to know whether or not we are "in the faith," that is, by whether or not our beliefs and behavior comports with the authoritative teachings delivered by the apostles and bishops to the faithful (1 Jn. 4:6; cf. Ac. 16:4; 2 Thess. 3:4; 1 Tim. 3:15). If I am affirming and following the teachings of the Church (apostles/bishops), then I know I am "in the faith," and that the Spirit is at work in my life. Merely claiming that I have the Spirit means nothing.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Old man

See Post #1681 above.

In any case, I asked you this question (Post #1670), and you have thus far failed to answer. Please do.

In #1670 you say I claimed in #1664 I have the Holy Spirit???

In #1664 you were not replying to or asking me. I have never claimed any such thing and you have never ask me this question. So just back off with your usual s-a sarcastic replies.

As I said before, only God knows the heart of a man and what you think of yourself does not matter to God, it is as HE will judge you.

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name? And in Your name cast out devils? And in Your name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess to them, I never knew you: Depart from me, you that work iniquity." Mt.7:22-23

They will also have thought and claimed they had the Holy Spirit.

The truth will only be "known" on judgment day.

Cruciform

In #1670 you say I claimed in #1664 I have the Holy Spirit??? In #1664 you were not replying to or asking me.
Fair enough. I confused you with God's Truth, because you replied to a question that I had directed specifically to him/her (Post #1667). My mistake.

As I said before, only God knows the heart of a man and what you think of yourself does not matter to God, it is as HE will judge you... They will also have thought and claimed they had the Holy Spirit. The truth will only be "known" on judgment day.
So, then, you do not in fact know that you have the Spirit regarding your private interpretations of the Bible and with respect to your personal formulations of doctrine and belief, correct?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Old man

Fair enough. I confused you with God's Truth, because you replied to a question that I had directed specifically to him/her (Post #1667). My mistake.

So, then, you do not in fact know that you have the Spirit regarding your private interpretations of the Bible and with respect to your personal formulations of doctrine and belief, correct?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

My faith is based on the Holy Scriptures of which the Holy Spirit gives the understanding of. NOT the Catholic religions multitude of added personal formulations of doctrines and beliefs.

lifeisgood

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

In Heaven there will NOT be any RCC member, neither Methodists, nor Lutherans, no Evangelicals, no Pentecostals, ad nauseum.

ONLY Christians in Heaven.

The ONLY religion that will be accepted in Heaven is Jesus Christ and Him Crucified EXCLUSIVELY plus absolutely nothing.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
I see no reason for Catholics to bludgeon non-Catholics whom they expended no effort to evangelize or disciple into/in the Faith.

I'm 52yo, and have yet to have the Gospel shared with my by ANY Latin in ANY manner at ANY time in my life. Not once. Ever. Not even close.

So if I were awaiting hearing any truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ from Latins, I'd still yet be in my sins and without hope or faith.

I've had JWs and LDSers attempt to evangelize me on numerous occasions. Even a few Buddhists and a Hindu, along with a scattering of others from various world non-religions.

Never once in all my born days has a Catholic (or Orthodox, for that matter) spoken to me of their faith or even mentioned the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

So......... I don't really care what any Latin says. I've repented and trusted in Christ by faith, and I'm walking in the Spirit.

If any Catholic would like to apologize for their double standards and not fulfilling their Christian commission to evangelize, that might be helpful. Other than that, Catholics should just continue to imbibe their copious amounts of alcohol, swear incessantly, indulge their lusts, and quietly not address anyone else about anything whatsoever as they confess their faults to the world.

lifeisgood

I see no reason for Catholics to bludgeon non-Catholics whom they expended no effort to evangelize or disciple into/in the Faith.

I'm 52yo, and have yet to have the Gospel shared with my by ANY Latin in ANY manner at ANY time in my life. Not once. Ever. Not even close.

So if I were awaiting hearing any truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ from Latins, I'd still yet be in my sins and without hope or faith.

I've had JWs and LDSers attempt to evangelize me on numerous occasions. Even a few Buddhists and a Hindu, along with a scattering of others from various world non-religions.

Never once in all my born days has a Catholic (or Orthodox, for that matter) spoken to me of their faith or even mentioned the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

So......... I don't really care what any Latin says. I've repented and trusted in Christ by faith, and I'm walking in the Spirit.

If any Catholic would like to apologize for their double standards and not fulfilling their Christian commission to evangelize, that might be helpful. Other than that, Catholics should just continue to imbibe their copious amounts of alcohol, swear incessantly, indulge their lusts, and quietly not address anyone else about anything whatsoever as they confess their faults to the world.

Think of it, very similar situation here.
I have never been presented the Gospel by a RCC member.
JWs (attempts almost every week), LDS (once). RCC? No, not once.

Cruciform

My faith is based on the Holy Scriptures...
Rather, your faith is based on the interpretations of the Scriptures taught to you by your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect. Big difference there.

Back to Post #1685.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Old man

Rather, your faith is based on the interpretations of the Scriptures taught to you by your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect. Big difference there.

Back to Post #1685.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

And yours is based on your preferred invented man made Catholic religion of mis-interpretations of Scriptures and non-Scriptural traditions of men.

The catholic religion can't even meet the standards of religious syncretism as that requires some truth in the mixture.

Cruciform

And yours is based on your preferred invented man made Catholic religion of mis-interpretations of Scriptures and non-Scriptural traditions of men.
So then, you admit here that your faith is based on the interpretations of the Scriptures taught to you by your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, correct?

As for your claims that Catholicism supposedly "misinterprets the Scriptures" and teaches "non-Scriptural traditions of men": Post your proof.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

lifeisgood

So then, you admit here that your faith is based on the interpretations of the Scriptures taught to you by your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, correct?

As for your claims that Catholicism supposedly "misinterprets the Scriptures" and teaches "non-Scriptural traditions of men": Post your proof.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Maybe because the RCC organization ADD Mary as the savior, transubstantiation, purgatory, etc., to the FINISHED work of Jesus Christ on the Cross of Calvary?

====

Oh how many, exclaims the Abbot of Celles, who merits to be condemned by the divine justice, are sved by the mercy of Mary! for she is the treasure of God and the treasure of all graces; therefore it is that our salvation is in her hands. Let us always then have recourse to this mother of mercy, and confidently hope to be saved by means of her intercession; since she, as Bernardine de Bustis encourages us to believe, is our salvation, our life, our hope, our counsel, our refuge, our help.

Mary is that very throne of grace, says St. Antoninus, to which the apostle exhorts us to have recourse with confidence, that we may obtain the divine mercy, with all needed help for our salvation. To the throne of grace, that is, to Mary, as St. Antoninus remarks. Hence, Mary was called by St. Catherine of Sienna: The dispenser of divine mercy: ‘Administratrix misericordiae’ (The Glories of Mary, translated from the Italian of St. Alphonsus Liguori, Founder of the Congregation of the Holy Redeemer — New Edition 1852 — Copyright, 1888 by P.J. Kenedy).

Cruciform

Maybe because the RCC organization ADD Mary as the savior...
Try again.

...transubstantiation...
Try again.

...purgatory...
Try again.

...to the FINISHED work of Jesus Christ on the Cross of Calvary?
Try again.

So much, then, for the ill-informed anti-Catholic claims that Catholicism supposedly "misinterprets the Scriptures" and teaches "non-Scriptural traditions of men." Quite the opposite.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Old man

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

My error, I should have said the Catholic's "misuse" the Scriptures in order to work in and include their many man made traditions and doctrines of their cult of Catholicism.

Cruciform

My error, I should have said the Catholic's "misuse" the Scriptures in order to work in and include their many man made traditions and doctrines...
Just more bare anti-Catholic claims on your part. Again: Post your proof. We're still waiting. :yawn:

Old man

Just more bare anti-Catholic claims on your part. Again: Post your proof. We're still waiting. :yawn:

Just pick one from your man made religions traditions not found in the Scriptures, any one is just as false as another so any will suffice.

Help yourself, you have 100s upon 100s from which to choose.

Cruciform

Just pick one from your man made religions traditions not found in the Scriptures, any one is just as false as another so any will suffice. Help yourself, you have 100s upon 100s from which to choose.
So, then, you actually have no proof for your unsubstantiated anti-Catholic assertions. That's what I thought.