Why Marijuana Should Be Illegal

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Because consumption of alcoholic beverages isn't immoral. Getting drunk (or in the case of recreational drug use, getting "high") is.

Getting drunk in the privacy of your own home isn't a crime. Why should smoking pot in your home be against the law? Getting drunk in public isn't even necessarily illegal--if you don't act too disruptive and call a cab, it's not like someone can call the cops on you. So, again, why would someone getting high in public constitute behavior that is any different in any way from consuming alcohol?

Just because it's done in the privacy of your own home doesn't make it morally right Granite. How many innocent people have died in house fires, etc. because someone that was intoxicated (be it on liquor or recreational drugs) didn't have control of their faculties?

And we all know that sin doesn't stay in the confines of one's own home. The faggotry movement is proof of that (hate crime legislation, special rights, etc. etc. etc.).

Quote:
Take a look at these statistics and tell me who is the cause of big goverment:

Ham-fisted fascists like you who demand more and more laws, usually. The war on drugs has caused all kinds of massive government bloat.

When you are atheist/social Libertarians going to realize that more government is necessary when people don't have self control (i.e. follow the Word of God as seen in Scripture)?

Quote:
•About 40 percent of children from violent homes believe that their fathers had a drinking problem and that they were more abusive when drinking.

So, do you want to ban alcohol? Because every single bullet point you rattled off has to do with booze, ASC.

If you look closer many of the points talk about substance abuse. Abuse of alcohol and the USE of recreational drugs have one thing in common: intoxication.

Again, the consumption of alcohol is not immoral and shouldn't be illegal. We have laws (many that are no longer enforced) where public intoxication is dealt with. Unfortunately, getting drunk or high is no longer discouraged in our "if it feels good do it" society.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm curious how you know this, because I know lots of people who like to use pot but not to the point of being intoxicated. .

Many drug users have built up a tolerance to it, something that they initially didn't have.

On a side note: why do you think employers discourage drug use, even to the point of making prospective employees take a drug test beforehand?

Why do you think alcohol consumption isn't included in that drug test?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Just because it's done in the privacy of your own home doesn't make it morally right Granite. How many innocent people have died in house fires, etc. because someone that was intoxicated (be it on liquor or recreational drugs) didn't have control of their faculties?

...or because they just fell asleep while smoking? But I take your point--the legality of stupidity in the home doesn't make something right, it simply means you have the right to act like a Darwin Award runner up.

That said, I don't believe it's society's responsibility to police common sense on private property. Put another way, if my neighbor wants to juggle a chainsaw, no skin off my nose. Might be some off his though.

When you are atheist/social Libertarians going to realize that more government is necessary when people don't have self control (i.e. follow the Word of God as seen in Scripture)?

ASC, here's the problem: you don't want to give people more self-control. You want the government to do their controlling for them. You implicitly distrust the people. Prohibitionists are not exactly optimists when it comes to their fellow men; prohibitionists are deeply, and naturally, cynical.

Again, the consumption of alcohol is not immoral and shouldn't be illegal.

That's nothing more than an arbitrary claim on your part directed at a drug our society has chosen as acceptable while foolishly, and senselessly, demonizing another.

PureX

Many drug users have built up a tolerance to it, something that they initially didn't have.

On a side note: why do you think employers discourage drug use, even to the point of making prospective employees take a drug test beforehand?

Because they're idiots?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Because they're idiots?

And hypocrites. :)

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber

That is news to me, all the companies I've worked for in the last 20 years tested for drugs and alcohol in a random fashion by the direction of the insurance carrier and the Federal Government.

If there was a work place incident that caused injury to personnel or damage to equipment a drug and alcohol test was done immediately.

Nitro

Google "marijuana athletes" and check out the first half dozen or so results. A very large percentage of professional athletes are pot smokers.

videos-littlechocolatedonuts.jpg

some other dude

That is news to me, all the companies I've worked for in the last 20 years tested for drugs and alcohol in a random fashion by the direction of the insurance carrier and the Federal Government.

If there was a work place incident that caused injury to personnel or damage to equipment a drug and alcohol test was done immediately.

Did you ever encounter a pre-employment test for alcohol?

some other dude

Try showing up for a pre-employment screening with alcohol in your system and see what happens.

:chuckle:

Most pre-employment drug screens I've seen use a urine sample to look for the metabolites of drugs of abuse - THC, opiates, PCP, cocaine, barbs, etc

You'd need a blood sample to look for alcohol and I'm not aware of any test that indicates long term use. Your system clears it pretty fast.

THC (marijuana) metabolite, on the other hand, is detectable for weeks.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
:chuckle:

Most pre-employment drug screens I've seen use a urine sample to look for the metabolites of drugs of abuse - THC, opiates, PCP, cocaine, barbs, etc

You'd need a blood sample to look for alcohol and I'm not aware of any test that indicates long term use. Your system clears it pretty fast.

THC (marijuana) metabolite, on the other hand, is detectable for weeks.

Sure, if you want BAC, "blood alcohol concentration". BAC is not always needed, especially when talking about a companies requirement for employment or continued service.

I kept at least 6 test kits in my desk at all times.

some other dude

Sure, if you want BAC, "blood alcohol concentration". BAC is not always needed, especially when talking about a companies requirement for employment or continued service.

I kept at least 6 test kits in my desk at all times.

I was thinking about a forensic sample.

Of course there are breathalyzer type devices available.

If you have suspicion and ask an employee to use one of the kits, do you follow it up with a blood test, or do you have language in your terms of employment to allow for its use in determining disciplinary measures?

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
I was thinking about a forensic sample.
Of course there are breathalyzer type devices available.

Yes there are, but considering the fact that the operator must be certified annually and the equipment needs to be certified and calibrated annually, not to mention that my company would need to purchase 20+ unites in order to cover all locations makes it very costly. The saliva kit is much simpler and cost effective.

If you have suspicion and ask an employee to use one of the kits, do you follow it up with a blood test, or do you have language in your terms of employment to allow for its use in determining disciplinary measures?

Blood tests of suspected personnel in my situation would be impracticable most of the time since it takes considerable time to get the employee to shore, this test must be performed at a hospital, plus an individual can not be compelled to take the test in the first place.

Language in terms of employment, "No alcohol allowed or consumed while in offshore duty status, and reporting to work without alcohol in your system", punishment for a positive for alcohol starts at, 1. Being sent home without pay, 2. Dismissal, 3. Possible criminal charges.