Why Don't the Liberals Want a Wall?

fool

Hall of Fame
Do they look like people who are going to turn away from a wall?
A wall will slow them down and sensors and cameras would tell border patrol where to send resources. Right now we have zero at that spot.
Zero.
How about focusing on what they are walking away from rather than what they are walking to.
So you leave your doors unlocked and when a crackhead, homeless person, criminal walks in and crashes on your couch you go out and solve their problem for them at your expense? That's what you do?
I don't think you do that.

Crucifer

BANNED
Banned
A wall will slow them down and sensors and cameras would tell border patrol where to send resources. Right now we have zero at that spot.
Zero.

"Slow them down"
You mean the 5-20 minutes depending on the wall? Big whoop

"Cameras and sensors"
Pretty sure they already have that in 'key' places, which they figure out and go another way.

So you leave your doors unlocked and when a crackhead, homeless person, criminal walks in and crashes on your couch you go out and solve their problem for them at your expense? That's what you do?
I don't think you do that.

That's a bogus analogy. Probably the 500th time I've heard it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
History has demonstrated repeatedly that putting one's faith in "THE WALL" only contributes to a false sense of security and makes even less sense when confronted with the technological advances of the modern era!

It's a sign of a loss of nerve, the second stage in the decline of a nation. The Spartans, when asked why their city had no walls, pointed to their young men and said, "those are our walls."

And they never failed, until the Spartan people failed.

When Phillip of Macedon told the Spartans that if he entered their territory, he would destroy them, they sent a typical Spartan reply:

"If."

That was America before Trump. Now he wants us to retreat to a bunker and hold off the world. It's a loser's plan.

WizardofOz

Does anyone think that the US/Mexico border should be open or should have no barrier whatsoever?

This is where the disconnect lies, I believe. Between nothing at all and Trump's wall, what level of money or tangible security is required to better secure our southern border?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Does anyone think that the US/Mexico border should be open or should have no barrier whatsoever?
This is where the disconnect lies, I believe. Between nothing at all and Trump's wall, what level of money or tangible security is required to better secure our southern border?

Seems to me that Trump is the only motivation for opposition to improved border security. Unfortunately, the liberals can't get past their stupid assertion that walls of the past did not stop invading armies, therefore immigration should be unfettered.

WizardofOz

Seems to me that Trump is the only motivation for opposition to improved border security. Unfortunately, the liberals can't get past their stupid assertion that walls of the past did not stop invading armies, therefore immigration should be unfettered.

I think opposition to Trump is part of it but it's also a rather large chunk of money Trump is asking for demanding.

So, I can see not giving Trump carte blanche but what exactly is the democrat plan? They've been in favor of funding in the past but to a lesser degree.

If you don't want to fund the wall, what is the alternative plan? I personally find the wall far too expensive and possibly inefficient when considering the resources required to build it. But, a lot of the push back isn't at all helpful. We need a viable alternative plan.

We also need some fiscal responsibility in Washington. Something neither party seems to care much about.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

No one really does, except really extreme libertarians, who point to the fact that the border was completely open just when the United States grew to become a great nation.

That's a reasonable approach, but the fools on either extreme pretend it's not possible to find a reasonable solution.

fool

Hall of Fame
"Slow them down"
You mean the 5-20 minutes depending on the wall? Big whoop
Beats what we have which is "saunter right in" at some locations.

"Cameras and sensors"
Pretty sure they already have that in 'key' places, which they figure out and go another way.
They got a lot but apparently not enough.
Right now we apprehend around 60% of illegal crossers.
That's a lot of people we don't catch and of course that's an estimate (because we didn't catch the ones we didn't catch).

That's a bogus analogy. Probably the 500th time I've heard it.
Perhaps you should consider those 500 people might have a point.

fool

Hall of Fame
It's a sign of a loss of nerve, the second stage in the decline of a nation. The Spartans, when asked why their city had no walls, pointed to their young men and said, "those are our walls."

And they never failed, until the Spartan people failed.

When Phillip of Macedon told the Spartans that if he entered their territory, he would destroy them, they sent a typical Spartan reply:

"If."

That was America before Trump. Now he wants us to retreat to a bunker and hold off the world. It's a loser's plan.

Alright, same question to you. Where did the 580 miles of existing fence come from?
Aliens?

fool

Hall of Fame
Why a wall will make things worse

I usually like those but that was full of strawmen.
He even points out that people arriving by planes go thru passport control and customs and then overstay their visas then equates that with people crossing without inspection.
The border isn't going to solve all the problems, just the sneaking across problem.
Then they talk about circular flow and how the border would stop that. Forgetting that they just lamented that people could still fly over in airplanes.
Lame attempt at propaganda, Adam should be ashamed.

Crucifer

BANNED
Banned
Beats what we have which is "saunter right in" at some locations.

Also nothing to treat as a top priority either, since it's merely an obstacle.

They got a lot but apparently not enough.
Right now we apprehend around 60% of illegal crossers.
That's a lot of people we don't catch and of course that's an estimate (because we didn't catch the ones we didn't catch).

There's also the matter of man power. You can have a million sensors but it's no good if you have a limited amount of patrols.

Perhaps you should consider those 500 people might have a point.

Or I could consider that they're just following a narrative and that analogy is just passed on.
Illegal immigration into a country is not tantamount to a home invasion. If people saw it that way, they would all be in prison next to the burglars.
And that's why it's a bogus analogy.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Apparently we should build a wall of young Spartans :idunno:

fool

Hall of Fame
Also nothing to treat as a top priority either, since it's merely an obstacle.
So you're in favor of taking down all the walls and fences at the Prisons? Or are you ready to admit it's and obstacle and drop the "merely".

There's also the matter of man power. You can have a million sensors but it's no good if you have a limited amount of patrols.
Sensors and cameras and fences and walls are force multipliers.
If you send the army the first thing they're going to do is start deploying razor wire as an obstacle to some one crossing their line.

Or I could consider that they're just following a narrative and that analogy is just passed on.
Illegal immigration into a country is not tantamount to a home invasion. If people saw it that way, they would all be in prison next to the burglars.
And that's why it's a bogus analogy.
You fail to comprehend so let me spell it out;
Crucifer said:
Illegal immigration into a country is not tantamount to a home invasion.
You know what is tantamount to a home invasion?
A home invasion, that's what.
And some of those illegals are going to commit home invasions or murder or human trafficking. And when that happens the bottom line is that the guy isn't even supposed to be here.
Don't try to equate people who overstay their visas with people who crossed without inspection.
Some people who cross without inspection might be fine people. But ALL the known bad people are going to be going the cross without inspection route because they wouldn't pass inspection..