Why does TOL not allow folks to discuss...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Some have asked...

Why does TOL not allow folks to discuss publicly why other TOL members have been banned or suspended?

Thats a fair question.

And the answer is only clear when you have been running a web forum for several years...... :eek: so let me try my best to explain.

When a TOL member has been banned... the TOL administrators or moderators feel that person has done something worthy of being banned. Right or wrong... we feel we are doing what is best for our forum.

When a third party asks (on the forum) why that person has been banned we find ourselves in the uncomfortable situation of having to air in public what we feel that person has done to be banned. This is a lose-lose situation in that if we air in public why we banned "so and so" it appears as if we are publicly berating this banned member and the banned member has no way to defend themselves due to their restricted privileges. Yet to continually not answer these inquires makes it appear that we are being disingenuous. Therefore we ask (as we always have) that these matters be handled privately via privates messages or e-mail etc.

More often than not its usually pretty obvious - if you follow TOL - why a certain member was banned or suspended.

But if you have concerns or questions regarding matters such as this please ask an administrator or moderator in private.

Thank you in advance for your consideration and continued participation.

taoist

"But if you have concerns or questions regarding matters such as this please ask an administrator or moderator in private."

Thank you, Knight.

I'd like to suggest that this policy might be improved if those, like myself, who question particular bannings, such as the one given by my signature, were addressed privately by the moderating team as well. Public rebukes induce public responses and an escalation that can only lead to greater enmity inconsistent with growing the forums. A private rebuke seems both more appropriate and more likely to generate cooperation.

As ever, in peace.

(This is not meant to address public warnings to those whose behavior is not consistent with the purposes of TOL. In contrast, public warnings give clearer insight on what behavior is deemed objectionable.)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by taoist
I'd like to suggest that this policy might be improved if those, like myself, who question particular bannings, such as the one given by my signature, were addressed privately by the moderating team as well. Public rebukes induce public responses and an escalation that can only lead to greater enmity inconsistent with growing the forums. A private rebuke seems both more appropriate and more likely to generate cooperation.
I make exceptions for obvious "knobs" as in bmyers case. :D

taoist

Knobs? Gee, that doesn't show up in my Redneck Dictionary.

(Besides, we both know I took my concerns about bmyers to PM when asked to do so. And I still think the Freak thing should have been handled through a bot, like I suggested earlier.)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by taoist
Knobs? Gee, that doesn't show up in my Redneck Dictionary.

(Besides, we both know I took my concerns about bmyers to PM when asked to do so. And I still think the Freak thing should have been handled through a bot, like I suggested earlier.)
New entries are being added all the time. ;)

LightSon

a few questions.
Does TOL have a formal set of rules or policies that I could review?

When someone is banned, do they have any recourse or means to seek redress? Can they return after a "cooling off period", or perhaps after they repent and do some pushups?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by LightSon
a few questions.
Does TOL have a formal set of rules or policies that I could review?
Formal? Hmmmm... not really.

But you can read this.

You continue....
When someone is banned, do they have any recourse or means to seek redress? Can they return after a "cooling off period", or perhaps after they repent and do some pushups?
Yes... yes and yes. It all depends on the circumstances.