Why does TOL charge for things?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Some folks have asked....

Why does TOL charge for smilies, custom user titles, special privileges and other things.

That is a fair question.

The reason is this....

Running a website like TOL costs a fair amount of money per year and the prices for the software leases, website hosting, bandwidth charges etc. keep going up! (sometimes prices of things actually go down like in the case of website storage space, but in balance the prices have risen dramatically).

Therefore...
We could just rely solely on donations but it becomes a real pain in the butt for both us and you guys when we continually bug everyone for money. Instead we have decided to simply create more interesting ways to collect funds to keep this website running. In essence when you buy a smilie or buy a subscription you are actually just making a donation to TOL but in return you are receiving something FUN or something that might add to your TOL experience.

And to all of you who have purchased smilies, banners, or have TOL subscriptions we want to thank you for keeping TOL the coolest site on the internet.

Last edited:

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
And thanks to Knight and all the staff for making TOL the coolest site to begin with. :up:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I love TOL. It's the only message board I frequent regularly and I do what I can financially to keep it operable.

I have my quarrels here with posters and sometimes that Administration, but it's the best site I've seen on the Internet [except for the Rep System].

It's also the only site I am not permanently banned from....as of this date.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
BillyBob said:
I love TOL. It's the only message board I frequent regularly and I do what I can financially to keep it operable.

I have my quarrels here with posters and sometimes that Administration, but it's the best site I've seen on the Internet [except for the Rep System].

:D

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
BillyBob said:
Wow! They all banned you? Google? Yahoo? Amazon? walmart.com?

No wonder you spend so much time at TOL!