Who wrote the first five Books in the OT (Pentateuch)

Bee1

Did some reading,googled a few names and places and still can not find a definite answer.First,The early church fathers said that the first five books in OT was written by God and given to Moses. Later that change to a human author Moses. Now this
I quote;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_the_Bible

Today, the majority of scholars agree that the Pentateuch does not have a single author, and that its composition took place over centuries.

end of quote;

So Genesis,Exodus,Leviticus,Numbers,Deuteronomy was not written by Moses. So who wrote the first books in the Bible? Simple question deserves a simple answer.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Moses wrote the first five (six if you include Job as the oldest book in the Bible) books of the Bible. The only part he did not write was the part about his death.

Popularity among well educated scholars does not make an idea correct. (Appeal to popularity and authority.)

MennoSota

Mark 12:26
26 And as for the dead being raised, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the bush, how God spoke to him, saying, ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’?

It seems here that Jesus gives credit to Moses.
Ultimately, however, I don't really care. God spoke and He had a servant record it for us.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Then who wrote Joshua?

Except for his death, Joshua wrote the book named after him.

The final verses were probably written by the leader who came after him.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
29 And it was after these things, that Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the Lord, died, being a hundred and ten years old.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Does the book of Joshua record the death of Joshua?

Last five verses of the last chapter:

Now it came to pass after these things that Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the Lord, died, being one hundred and ten years old.And they buried him within the border of his inheritance at Timnath Serah, which is in the mountains of Ephraim, on the north side of Mount Gaash.Israel served the Lord all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders who outlived Joshua, who had known all the works of the Lord which He had done for Israel.The bones of Joseph, which the children of Israel had brought up out of Egypt, they buried at Shechem, in the plot of ground which Jacob had bought from the sons of Hamor the father of Shechem for one hundred pieces of silver, and which had become an inheritance of the children of Joseph.And Eleazar the son of Aaron died. They buried him in a hill belonging to Phinehas his son, which was given to him in the mountains of Ephraim. - Joshua 24:29-33 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Joshua24:29-33&version=NKJV

Bee1

Then what is this about;

"The consensus of scholarship is that the stories are taken from four different written sources and that these were brought together over the course of time to form the first five books of the Bible as a composite work. The sources are known as J, the Jahwist source (from the German transliteration of the Hebrew YHWH), E, the Elohist source, P, the priestly source, and D, the Deuteronomist source. ... Thus, the Pentateuch (or Torah, as it is known by Jews) comprises material taken from six centuries of human history, which has been put together to give a comprehensive picture of the creation of the world and of God's dealings with his peoples, specifically with the people of Israel." (Professor John Riches of the University of Glasgow).[22

genuineoriginal

Did some reading,googled a few names and places and still can not find a definite answer.First,The early church fathers said that the first five books in OT was written by God and given to Moses. Later that change to a human author Moses. Now this
I quote;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_the_Bible

Today, the majority of scholars agree that the Pentateuch does not have a single author, and that its composition took place over centuries.

end of quote;

So Genesis,Exodus,Leviticus,Numbers,Deuteronomy was not written by Moses. So who wrote the first books in the Bible? Simple question deserves a simple answer.

According to the Deuterocanonical book of 2 Esdras in chapter 14 it says that Ezra dictated the first 24 books of the Bible to five men.

Bee1

According to the Deuterocanonical book of 2 Esdras in chapter 14 it says that Ezra dictated the first 24 books of the Bible to five men.
How to get from God wrote it and gave it to Moses then Moses wrote it to Ezra translate to 5 men?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

4d119a5bf610ca08ccd9a885a835cb3a.jpg

I don't see a chapter 14 here. Meaning you're using books not in the Bible. Meaning that they cannot be relied upon for truth.

How to get from God wrote it and gave it to Moses then Moses wrote it to Ezra translate to 5 men?

Stick to what's indicated in scripture, and validated by actual historical facts, which is that Moses wrote the first five books, not Ezra.

Bee1

The Jews are special, they inhabited two of the most advanced civilization at that time in the world(albeit as slaves), took that knowledge to the wilderness, made a kingdom,gather all their manuscripts that contain information from these societies(Egypt and Babylon) put it in a book and to this day we live our life by it.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The book is in the King James Bible.
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/1611_2-Esdras-Chapter-14/

Do you have a problem with the King James Bible?

Again, I don't see any books that you're referring to in the Bible.

This is the KJV.

I have no issue with the KJV.

I have issue using books that are not considered scripture by the Jews as if they were scripture.

Paul says that the oracles of God were committed to the Jews. The Jews never included the Apocrypha in their scriptures. It was added on to the Septuagint.
0651fe73443c33ad2c04b49742800135.jpg
7963950d921232e8ed54ec88408f4ebb.jpg
6bc22a3777296263a537eeac541a5a64.jpg
621b418efc6604ffb3a9c82b6f7daaad.jpg
32c3d4802e734dfd2d5973acc51f76cb.jpg
6f90b1afa64e51bdaa46bc150292b04f.jpg
7765acaec50c02429aa36d2449f6e5cd.jpg
571f1d03b83d0d61eed3385439df1834.jpg
52c880edc3336fbc209a3ece9fab55d5.jpg
2e6b40ea6f8c503c610c35336d2dca45.jpg
980b3516f89d99501fe36263554d9054.jpg
a4743833f87188b6b5cdc9512b0e2141.jpg

genuineoriginal

Again, I don't see any books that you're referring to in the Bible.
Look here:
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Apocrypha-Books-List/1611-Apocrypha-Books-List.php
The apocrypha is a selection of books which were published in the original 1611 King James Bible. These apocryphal books were positioned between the Old and New Testament (it also contained maps and geneologies). The apocrypha was a part of the KJV for 274 years until being removed in 1885 A.D. A portion of these books were called deuterocanonical books by some entities, such as the Catholic church.​
There are twice the number of years of the KJV with the apocrypha as the number of years without.

I have no issue with the KJV.

I have issue using books that are not considered scripture by the Jews as if they were scripture.

Paul says that the oracles of God were committed to the Jews. The Jews never included the Apocrypha in their scriptures. It was added on to the Septuagint.
The Jews never included included the New Testament books into the scriptures.