Who won round #4 of BRX?

• Sam Lamerson

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Bob Enyart

Votes: 28 80.0%

• Total voters

novice

Who is the stooge now?
Bob clearly won rounds one and two. Round three was very close (Sam's best round by far).

But round four was brutal. If Sam had a corner man he would have run out of towels to throw in. :eek:

Sam will have to get back up and dig down deep in round five.

RightIdea

Agreed, I like Sam but I was very disappointed in his Round 4 answers to Bob's questions.

And he's now painted himself into an ugly corner regarding the kenosis of Christ. Bob's now proven that Sam in a past paper specifically said that Christ didn't have any problem showing that His omniscience was limited. In Sam's first round post, he left this entirely open and ambiguous. And now, all of a sudden, he does the Kerry Boogie and bada-bing, he opposes the Kenotic view? Where'd that come from?

That doesn't bode well for Sam. How's he going to explain how Jesus "grew in wisdom and understanding?" How is he doing to explain the temptation of Christ, where apparently Satan was tempting Jesus with things that He already had at His fingertips? How will he explain how He "emptied Himself," and became lower than the angels? Sam has already condeded in a past paper (about Openness, even!) in which he conceded that the Son's omniscience wasn't total.

I can hardly wait...

I also love how Bob has slowly foreshadowing his upcoming case for the pagan Greek basis for the settled view. Indeed, it's becoming apparent that the most influential theologian in the history of the church... is Aristotle, who wasn't even a Christian! LOL (And you ain't seen nuthin' yet; Bob hasn't even really made his case on this, yet.)

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Bob took round 4 by a mile. Maybe I shouldn't say it, but I'm starting to lose interest in the debate. I sort of expect it to go the way Bob Vs Zakath went. I hope I'm wrong. I'm already familiar with Bob's Predestination and Free Will album, (listened to it many times) and I was hoping Dr. Lamerson would have some stronger points to come out with. Maybe he will in the rounds to come, but so far I'm not at all concerned with my belief in the Open View.

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
Bob won round four easily as Dr. Sam set himself up for the way he will respond in the remaining rounds. He basically forfeited this round for that purpose! I now have the debate even, two rounds each.
The only point Dr. Sam won was challenging Bob to end the debate now, if he really believed he had won and it was over. Bob then responded with over 6 thousand words, and also snuck in another thousand or more in the meet Dr. Lamerson thread. I thought that was preety funny!

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
I must admit I understand Pastor Bob's arguments better (easier?) than those offered by Dr. Sam.

As an added bonus, Pastor Bob's dissertation on Greek philosophy vs Christian theology is especially intriguing. I haven't seen the argument put quite that way before.

As to who's ahead or behind, I'd rather not offer an opinion. I really want to see this played out exhaustively (to use a word).

docrob57

These threads are interesting in that I think they tend to confirm people's tendency to see what they want to see, my own included.

As those who know me know, I am a fan of Pastor Bob, though I do not adhere to the open view. I tend to see his arguments in this debate as overly lengthy, prone to focusing on minor points to obscure bigger issues, at times self-contradictory, at times overly "hypothetical" and generally uncompelling.

This view, of course, runs contrary to the majority here, who are adherents of the open view.

I admit, I do not find Dr. Sam's arguments all that compelling either. They seem more correct to me, but this really is because they are in accordance with my predispositions.

In any event, if things continue, I do not expect to see many converts one way or the other here.