Who was 1 Peter written to?

turbosixx

There is an old covenant and a new covenant. The old covenant has Law associated with it, the Law of Moses.

The new has a law associated with it as well.

Heb. 7:12 For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also.

1 Cor. 9:21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

Gal. 6:2 Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

achduke

You'll have to give me more explanation if you are saying we are under the Mosaical law.

Gal. 3: 23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

We are under the law of the Spirit. Do what the Holy Spirit guides you to do.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The new has a law associated with it as well.

Heb. 7:12 For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also.

1 Cor. 9:21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

Gal. 6:2 Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.
The change of priesthood is associated with a change of law. Or rather, the change of law is associated with the change of priesthood. What does Hebrews say about the Law and the change of law? What is the law now? What is the change of law about? What is the change of law? What is the law changed to? Or is it that the change of law is associated with the change of priesthood, and therefore with a change of priesthood how is the law (affected) and what law is affected? Does it only pertain to the priesthood, or is that the wrong view? That is, is it a law pertaining to the priesthood that is changed, or that the priesthood is changed so things are different now... and who is affected by it (anyone other than the priests?)? Or is the point that all (all Israel or not all Israel?) are affected? Is the change of law different (not in regard to Israel, but the whole world)? If so, what is the new covenant? The old covenant is not a/the priesthood. A covenant is not a priesthood.

turbosixx

The change of priesthood is associated with a change of law. Or rather, the change of law is associated with the change of priesthood. What does Hebrews say about the Law and the change of law? What is the law now? What is the change of law about? What is the change of law? What is the law changed to? Or is it that the change of law is associated with the change of priesthood, and therefore with a change of priesthood how is the law (affected) and what law is affected? Does it only pertain to the priesthood, or is that the wrong view? That is, is it a law pertaining to the priesthood that is changed, or that the priesthood is changed so things are different now... and who is affected by it (anyone other than the priests?)? Or is the point that all (all Israel or not all Israel?) are affected? Is the change of law different (not in regard to Israel, but the whole world)? If so, what is the new covenant? The old covenant is not a/the priesthood. A covenant is not a priesthood.

Wow that's a lot of questions. I will give a big picture and leave you with it.

Man died because of sin (Adam), God promised Abraham his seed would bless the world (Christ). The covenant with Abraham could not remove sin. The law (Levite Priesthood) was added but had no provision for the forgiveness of sin, it could not save you. Under the new covenant Jesus is our High Priest and his blood cleanses our sins.

Romans, Galatians and Hebrews are the best at understanding how the old and new affect Christians. They were trying to keep the law and serve Christ but Paul continually tells them you can't do both.

Gal. 5:3 And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law. 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Wow that's a lot of questions. I will give a big picture and leave you with it.

Man died because of sin (Adam), God promised Abraham his seed would bless the world (Christ). The covenant with Abraham could not remove sin. The law (Levite Priesthood) was added but had no provision for the forgiveness of sin, it could not save you. Under the new covenant Jesus is our High Priest and his blood cleanses our sins.

Romans, Galatians and Hebrews are the best at understanding how the old and new affect Christians. They were trying to keep the law and serve Christ but Paul continually tells them you can't do both.

Gal. 5:3 And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law. 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
There is no problem with a person choosing to keep the Law. But there is no way that keeping the Law saves anyone, because of our flesh.

But the priesthood is not the law. There was a law associated with the priesthood. Was it the Law of Moses? The Ten Commandments were for all Israel. The rest of the Law (which, "rest of the Law" needs to be understood in its true context whatever that context is (the things Moses wrote down)) was written (down) by Moses at the command or instruction of God. It is all God's word. The commands, these commands, are commands of God.

Priests observe the Law but there are commands specific to priests. All of Israel, including those who lived in the land but were not born of Israel, observe (observed) the same Law.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
Obeying God's Law is not necessarily seeking to be justified by the law. If you think you can be saved/justified/born again by keeping the Law, you may be wrong in your thinking.

Philippians 3:9 NASB
Ephesians 2:8-9 NASB
Titus 3:6 NASB
Romans 4:1-8 NASB
Galatians 3:2 NASB, Galatians 3:5-9 NASB
James 2:21 NASB, James 2:24-25 NASB
Galatians 2:16 NASB
Romans 11:6 NASB
Hebrews 11:6 NASB

turbosixx

Obeying God's Law is not necessarily seeking to be justified by the law. If you think you can be saved/justified/born again by keeping the Law, you may be wrong in your thinking.

Philippians 3:9 NASB
Ephesians 2:8-9 NASB
Titus 3:6 NASB
Romans 4:1-8 NASB
Galatians 3:2 NASB, Galatians 3:5-9 NASB
James 2:21 NASB, James 2:24-25 NASB
Galatians 2:16 NASB
Romans 11:6 NASB
Hebrews 11:6 NASB

Look at verse 3, And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law.

What law demanded circumcision? Mosaical.

Then he says 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

You can't follow both.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Look at verse 3, And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law.

What law demanded circumcision? Mosaical.

Then he says 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

You can't follow both.
The commandment in regard to circumcision predates Moses. You can go back to Abraham.

Romans 4:10-12 NASB - 10 How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11 and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised.

Genesis 17:23-25 NASB - 23 Then Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all the servants who were born in his house and all who were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham's household, and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the very same day, as God had said to him. 24 Now Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. 25 And Ishmael his son was thirteen years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.

Genesis 21:4 NASB - 4 Then Abraham circumcised his son Isaac when he was eight days old, as God had commanded him.

Romans 2:25-26 NASB
1 Corinthians 7:19 NASB
Galatians 5:6 NASB
Galatians 6:15 NASB
Ephesians 2:11 NASB
Acts 15:1-41 NASB
Galatians 2:3 NASB
Acts 16:3 NASB
Romans 8:1-4 NASB

1 Corinthians 7:18 NASB - 18 Was any man called when he was already circumcised? He is not to become uncircumcised. Has anyone been called in uncircumcision? He is not to be circumcised.

turbosixx

The commandment in regard to circumcision predates Moses. You can go back to Abraham.

Romans 4:10-12 NASB - 10 How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11 and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised.

Genesis 17:23-25 NASB - 23 Then Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all the servants who were born in his house and all who were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham's household, and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the very same day, as God had said to him. 24 Now Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. 25 And Ishmael his son was thirteen years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.

Genesis 21:4 NASB - 4 Then Abraham circumcised his son Isaac when he was eight days old, as God had commanded him.

Romans 2:25-26 NASB
1 Corinthians 7:19 NASB
Galatians 5:6 NASB
Galatians 6:15 NASB
Ephesians 2:11 NASB
Acts 15:1-41 NASB
Galatians 2:3 NASB
Acts 16:3 NASB
Romans 8:1-4 NASB

1 Corinthians 7:18 NASB - 18 Was any man called when he was already circumcised? He is not to become uncircumcised. Has anyone been called in uncircumcision? He is not to be circumcised.

If reading Romans, Galatians and Hebrews can't convince you, neither can I. I only know what I read.

Rom. 7:2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband...... 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Good luck with your studies.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
If reading Romans, Galatians and Hebrews can't convince you, neither can I. I only know what I read.

Rom. 7:2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband...... 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Good luck with your studies.
Who wasn't convinced? You believe I am not convinced about what?

Romans 7:12 NASB Romans 7:16 NASB - 12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good. 16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good.

1 Timothy 1:5-11 NASB - 5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion, 7 wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions. 8 But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9 realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers 10 and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.

The point of the thread was if 1 Peter was not written to Gentiles, who was it written to?

turbosixx

Who wasn't convinced? You believe I am not convinced about what?

Romans 7:12 NASB Romans 7:16 NASB - 12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good. 16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good.

1 Timothy 1:5-11 NASB - 5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion, 7 wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions. 8 But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9 realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers 10 and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.

The point of the thread was if 1 Peter was not written to Gentiles, who was it written to?

It was written to Christians. Today there is only people in Christ and people outside of Christ. In Christ there is no Jew or Gentile.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It was written to Christians. Today there is only people in Christ and people outside of Christ. In Christ there is no Jew or Gentile.
I would say the people he was writing to were believers in God and believers in the Messiah (Yeshua, Jesus). They are no doubt believers. Whether or not they were called Christians I do not know.

Acts 11:26 NASB - 26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And for an entire year they met with the church and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

turbosixx

I would say the people he was writing to were believers in God and believers in the Messiah (Yeshua, Jesus). They are no doubt believers. Whether or not they were called Christians I do not know.

Acts 11:26 NASB - 26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And for an entire year they met with the church and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

No matter what they are called, one is either in Christ or not. Here they are called disciples. Are they not believers and Christians?

Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,