Who was 1 Peter written to?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"Jews were never told they were not a people." Really?

Yes, really.

Nowhere in the OT were the Jews told they were "not a people"

2 Peter 2:10 is a reference to Hosea, not Matthew.

Paul quotes Hosea in Romans, because the Romans weren't Jews, and they weren't pagan Gentiles. The Romans were also descendants of the 10 tribes just like Peter's audience.

Bradley D

Once we become Christians there is no longer any distinction between Jew and Gentile.

"For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise" (Galatians 3:27-29).

"Aliens and strangers' or "pilgrims and strangers." to me means we are no longer to be of the world. But get closer to the divine/Kingdom of Heaven, while still here on earth.

"These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth" (Hebrews 11:13).

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't know that Peter is referring to Jews or Gentiles.

1 Peter 2:12 NASB - 12 Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Very often people think gentiles refers to non Jews, but most often gentiles simply means nations.

LA

Ben Masada

1 Peter 2:12 NASB - 12 Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Peter wrote NO letters. According to Luke, Peter was unlearned and ignorant. (Acts 4:13) Illiterate people do not write books. The Letters attributed to Peter were written by Paul. (II Cor. 1:19; I Thess. 1:1; II Thess. 1:1) Paul would never have allowed his scribe Silvanus to get dictation from an apostle of the circumcision.

Ben Masada

Once we become Christians there is no longer any distinction between Jew and Gentile.

"For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise" (Galatians 3:27-29).

"Aliens and strangers' or "pilgrims and strangers." to me means we are no longer to be of the world. But get closer to the divine/Kingdom of Heaven, while still here on earth.

"These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth" (Hebrews 11:13).

That's what you think for reading too much in the gospel of Paul. This is an item in the Pauline agenda of Replacement Theology.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Peter wrote NO letters. According to Luke, Peter was unlearned and ignorant. (Acts 4:13) Illiterate people do not write books. The Letters attributed to Peter were written by Paul. (II Cor. 1:19; I Thess. 1:1; II Thess. 1:1) Paul would never have allowed his scribe Silvanus to get dictation from an apostle of the circumcision.
I believe you are incorrect.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

He gives you a clue. And it couldn't be more obvious.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Is it that "among the Gentiles" or "the Gentiles" means that which is a people or the people or nations outside of the land of Israel? Is it specific to those who were not believers or is it general to those who are outside Israel at the time Peter wrote this? I'm not convinced Peter was writing to Gentiles. I believe the people Peter was writing to were either Jewish believers or believers in Jesus as the Messiah, a part of Jesus' church. I recognize Peter's ministry as different from that of Paul, but I believe they both served the Lord and His church in the capacity with which God equipped and empowered them. From Peter being a disciple and ministering as an apostle, to Paul being converted from an unbeliever who persecuted the church to an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ who was able to turn to the Gentiles and minister in foreign lands.

Ephesians 4:17 NASB - 17 So this I say, and affirm together with the Lord, that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind,

turbosixx

Christians who were formally Jews but in Christ there are no Jews or Gentiles.

1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

He uses the term Gentile to indicate someone who is not a child of God. Under the old law you had God's people (Jews) and those who were not (Gentiles). So today we have God's people (Christians) and those who are not (everyone else).

turbosixx

The epistles of Paul are scripture for the Christian. Therefore, cannot be ignored.

I agree, Peter viewed his writings as scripture.

2 PT. 3:15 .... just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Christians who were formally Jews but in Christ there are no Jews or Gentiles.

1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

He uses the term Gentile to indicate someone who is not a child of God. Under the old law you had God's people (Jews) and those who were not (Gentiles). So today we have God's people (Christians) and those who are not (everyone else).
Here are some verses in the Bible (Christian New Testament) that refer to "Jew" or "Jews". There is nothing wrong with being a Jew. (All of these references are found after the book of Acts.)

Romans 1:16 NASB - 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Romans 2:9-10, 17, 28-29 NASB - 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. ... 17 But if you bear the name "Jew" and rely upon the Law and boast in God, ... 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

Romans 3:1 NASB - 1 Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision?

Romans 10:12 NASB - 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him;

1 Corinthians 9:20 NASB - 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law;

Galatians 2:14 NASB - 14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, "If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?

Galatians 3:28 NASB - 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:11 NASB - 11 a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all.

Romans 3:9, 29 NASB - 9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all; for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin; ... 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also,

Romans 9:24 NASB - 24 even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles.

1 Corinthians 1:22-24 NASB - 22 For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, 24 but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

1 Corinthians 9:20 NASB - 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law;

1 Corinthians 10:32 NASB - 32 Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God;

1 Corinthians 12:13 NASB - 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

2 Corinthians 11:24 NASB - 24 Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes.

Galatians 2:13-15 NASB - 13 The rest of the Jews joined him in hypocrisy, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, "If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews? 15 "We are Jews by nature and not sinners from among the Gentiles;

1 Thessalonians 2:14 NASB - 14 For you, brethren, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you also endured the same sufferings at the hands of your own countrymen, even as they did from the Jews,

Revelation 2:9 NASB - 9 'I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich), and the blasphemy by those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.

Revelation 3:9 NASB - 9 'Behold, I will cause those of the synagogue of Satan, who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie--I will make them come and bow down at your feet, and make them know that I have loved you.

turbosixx

Of course. I believe so. A Jew and in Christ, or do you mean a "spiritual Jew" who was not born a Jew (and is this or would this be Biblical?)?

In your understanding, what value is there in being a Jew physically?

This is what I understand. Being physically a Jew in Christ is of no value because we are all one in Jesus. Outside of Jesus can anyone, Jew or not, be saved?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
In your understanding, what value is there in being a Jew physically?

This is what I understand. Being physically a Jew in Christ is of no value because we are all one in Jesus. Outside of Jesus can anyone, Jew or not, be saved?
Being in Christ is of value for Jew and Gentile or Greek.

Romans 3:1-2 NASB - 1 Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision? 2 Great in every respect. First of all, that they were entrusted with the oracles of God.

turbosixx

Being in Christ is of value for Jew and Gentile or Greek.

Romans 3:1-2 NASB - 1 Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision? 2 Great in every respect. First of all, that they were entrusted with the oracles of God.

What's advantage number 2? We all have the oracles of God.
Are there Jews and Gentiles in Christ or are they one?