Who changed Saul's name to Paul?

Bee1

Paul is the backbone of Christianity, without him there would not be Roman Catholic, Protestant, Baptist and many other religions that believe in one God.
So that being said, who or when did Saul become Paul? On the road to Damascus, Saul has a epiphany and claims he saw or heard Jesus and thus he is converted. As we know there are three times that Paul rehash his story and each time it's different, but that's for another post, what I want to know when Saul became Paul?
When Jesus meet Saul, Jesus address Saul as Saul, Acts 9:4
Ananias addresses him as “Saul” after his conversion (Acts 9:17).
The Holy Spirit calls him “Saul” before his first missionary trip. Acts 13:2
“Now Paul and his companions set sail.” The person who “changes” his name is not Jesus, but Luke. Acts 13:13
So God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit address him as Saul but Luke comes along and address him as Paul. So Luke gave this killer of Christians his name and the new Paul basically start "his" church.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
There's an artifact of translation playing tricks with you. Acts 13:7 KJV mentions "Segius Paulus," and then Acts 13:9 KJV says that Saul "also is called 'Paul,'" but 'in the Greek,' "Paulus" in Ac13:7KJV and "Paul" in Ac13:9KJV are the same name.

"Sergius" in Greek is 'Sergio,' and "Paul" is 'Paulos,' and 'in the Greek,' 'Paulus' matches 'Sergio' (i.e. 'Paulo'), and 'Paulos' matches "Saul," which is 'in the Greek,' 'Saulos.'

So these two men 'in the Greek' were 'Sergio Paulo,' and 'Saulos Paulos.' iow it looks like "Paul" is Paul's surname, as it is this Sergius's surname.

That's why Ac13:9KJV says "also," where 'also' refers back to this Sergius Paulus.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul was born of the Israelite tribe of Benjamin.
His name in Hebrew is Shaul or Saul in English.

Paul was a freeborn Roman citizen and his Latin name was Paulus or Paul in English.

Being the Christ ordained Apostle to the Gentiles, Paul uses his Gentile name and identifies himself as such in each of his thirteen epistles.

Bee1

Paul was born of the Israelite tribe of Benjamin.
His name in Hebrew is Shaul or Saul in English.

Paul was a freeborn Roman citizen and his Latin name was Paulus or Paul in English.

Being the Christ ordained Apostle to the Gentiles, Paul uses his Gentile name and identifies himself as such in each of his thirteen epistles.
So basically, what you are saying is Saul never change his, in Latin Saul is Paul.Correct?

Bradley D

"Saul was his name as he was a Hebrew; Paul was his name as he was a citizen of Rome." - Matthew Henry Commentary

Saul,
Σαῦλος (Saulos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 4569: Saul, the apostle. Of Hebrew origin, the same as Saoul; Saulus, the Jewish name of Paul.

Paul,
Παῦλος (Paulos)
Strong's Greek 3972: Paul, Paulus. Of Latin origin; Paulus, the name of a Roman and of an apostle.

Bee1

"Saul was his name as he was a Hebrew; Paul was his name as he was a citizen of Rome." - Matthew Henry Commentary

Saul,
Σαῦλος (Saulos)
Strong's Greek 4569: Saul, the apostle. Of Hebrew origin, the same as Saoul; Saulus, the Jewish name of Paul.

Paul,
Παῦλος (Paulos)
Strong's Greek 3972: Paul, Paulus. Of Latin origin; Paulus, the name of a Roman and of an apostle.
I will accept this information Thank you, but.... I have another issue with Saul/Paul.

At Acts 9:3-8, Paul was blinded by a light and fell down, then heard Jesus, who told Paul that he would be told what to do when he was in the city. His men did not see the light, but heard the voice. They remained standing.

At Acts 22:6-11, Paul told the people he was blinded by a light and fell down, then heard Jesus, who again told Paul that he would be told what to do when he was in Damascus. This time, his men saw the light but, unlike Paul, were not blinded, and did not hear the voice.

At Acts 26.13-19, Paul told Agrippa that he saw a brilliant light and heard Jesus, who gave him his mission, but did not command him to go to Damascus. He fell down, but there is no mention of blindness, nor is there any mention of the men seeing or hearing anything, although for some reason they also fell down. He told those at Damascus and Jerusalem about his conversion experience.

So why would the Bible give three different version of the same event? Why not correct this so that the stories are all the same?

Bradley D

I see your point. In Acts 22:6-11 some versions translate ēkousan to mean "they could not understand" the voice. In Acts 26:13-19 Paul was telling Agrippa mainly about Jesus telling Paul that he was fighting/persecuting Jesus' mission for His disciples. Perhaps Paul did not feel that he had to include the whole story.