Who am I?

fivesense

Hi Fivesense
Sorry I took so long to get back to you, please forgive...Very interesting what you say about the The Syrian Antioch! Nicely done, thank you.
Hope to look into it sometime later...Hmmm still struggling with this
Not on my computer now so this is not quite posting adequately for me...though you will probably not notice a difference,sad to say,lol.

You are kind, rainee.
In order to shed light on my desire to refrain from applying the "Christian" monicker to myself, I brought forth Paul's injunction to Timothy concerning keeping a pattern of sound words that were spoken by him. Paul declared his writings to be prophetic (Ro 16:26 prophetikon), and maintaining adherence to what was recorded by him would serve Timothy well in furthering the truth. Today we suffer a great many falsehoods in the body of Christ that originate from phrases and terms that are not found in the Scriptures. Eternal death, penalty for sins, the Atonement, etc, are not in the Word, yet people believe them to be there. There are whole doctrines and churches that are founded upon beliefs that cannot be supported clearly in the Scriptures.

By retaining sound words that Holy Spirit has recorded for us in the Scriptures, much confusion and error could be resolved. But the tendency to look to men for truth, suffering personal opinions from them instead of self-investigation, seems the be the nominal way of the masses.

God has spoken, His word is there for us. Let us depart from using unscriptural phrases and leave off of them whenever we can, thereby clearing the air of excesses and misunderstandings. By staying with the words that the Scriptures employ, we will remain on solid ground.

IMJerusha

Martin Luther was considered such a one amongst his peers. He insisted that, what the Scriptures declared were above what men had to say. I agree with him. Opinions do not subvert the Word of God, they should submit to it.

Amen!

The disciples were first called "Christians" at Antioch (Acts 11:26). Agrippa, too, calls them that (Acts 26:28). Peter, writing to the sojourners of the dispersion (1 Peter 1:1) connects it with suffering and reproach (1 Peter 4:16).

Suffering and reproach are not connected with the word "Christian" but with the choice to follow Yeshua. It's part of the gig; inescapable. In the avoidance of the word, we will not avoid the negative as one is not a Christian in word only but also in deed. Besides, shouldn't we take every opportunity given us to glorify God?

KMoney's question, however, was not about your reluctance to use the word "Christian" but rather what "other" you represent. It helps some to understand where you're coming from faith expression wise. I don't really know that it matters.

Welcome to TOL! :wave:

fivesense

Amen!

Suffering and reproach are not connected with the word "Christian" but with the choice to follow Yeshua. It's part of the gig; inescapable. In the avoidance of the word, we will not avoid the negative as one is not a Christian in word only but also in deed. Besides, shouldn't we take every opportunity given us to glorify God?

KMoney's question, however, was not about your reluctance to use the word "Christian" but rather what "other" you represent. It helps some to understand where you're coming from faith expression wise. I don't really know that it matters.

Welcome to TOL! :wave:

IM, you are absolutely spot on. Perhaps in witnessing to a stranger, the mere avoidance of the term "Christian" will not prevent them being negative toward the evangel when it is presented. Holy Spirit does put a mark on us that unbelievers seem to sense.

I suppose it is a two-fold matter. One, the carryover of the negative in the unsaved mind, and adherence to keeping a pattern of sound words and sense of the Writings.

Departing from the words God has chosen to express and reveal Himself with, and indiscriminate usage of cliches and phrases not found in the Scriptures has wrought much havoc among the saints. I would prefer not to engender more of the same. I strive to remain true to what has been revealed to me.

rainee

You are kind, rainee. ..
Today we suffer a great many falsehoods in the body of Christ that originate from phrases and terms that are not found in the Scriptures. Eternal death, penalty for sins, the Atonement, etc, are not in the Word, yet people believe them to be there. There are whole doctrines and churches that are founded upon beliefs that cannot be supported clearly in the Scriptures.
Good Morn, Fivesense,
But I don't know how kind I am when I seem to be spurring you on to further possible heresies like flowers blooming in springtime...:bang:
By retaining sound words that Holy Spirit has recorded for us in the Scriptures, much confusion and error could be resolved. But the tendency to look to men for truth, suffering personal opinions from them instead of self-investigation, seems the be the nominal way of the masses.

God has spoken, His word is there for us. Let us depart from using unscriptural phrases and leave off of them whenever we can, thereby clearing the air of excesses and misunderstandings. By staying with the words that the Scriptures employ, we will remain on solid ground.
Well, these are several possible debate points for posting on TOL,
See you there :)

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
New discoveries......

New discoveries......

~*~*~

Hello fivesense,

Looks like a wonderful journey so far. Resources shared here can make that journey even more wonderful, depending on how you expand consciousness and thoroughly research all possible points of view :)

Namaste,

pj