ECT What's the issue in early Acts between the Gospel and Judaism?

SimpleMan77

What's the issue in early Acts between the Gospel and Judaism?

I don't argue with the fact that there are still prophecies concerning the nation of Israel to be fulfilled.

I do have a problem with someone suggesting that the current Gospel is different than what Jesus left the apostles with, or that the rejection of Jesus and his followers somehow slipped up on Jesus. Jesus told His disciples point blank that their nation would reject them just as they had Him. It was the plan all along.

Yes, the Jewish Christians still did not understand the scope of the Gentile outreach in Acts 2 or even in Acts 10. It was a planned, growing process. The Holy Ghost guided the disciples methodically toward His master-plan, using Peter, James, Paul, Timothy, etc along the way.

Paul was used mightily by God to reach the Gentiles. He had a deeper revelation than many his peers, and God used him to help guide the church into the fullness of His plan to reach the Gentiles.

It was His plan all along, and it was always scheduled to be set in motion at Calvary.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Jerry Shugart

After I listen to MAD, I simply don't understand what issue exists between the Gospel and Judaism IN EARLY ACTS. It's possible to see one after that. But that's not how the (hi-)story goes, is it?

There was no issue between the Gospel and Judaism in early Acts. The gospel message preached then was the good news that the Lord Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. And all those who believed that gospel message were saved at that time (Jn.20:30-31; 1 Jn.5:1-5).

Jerry Shugart

I do have a problem with someone suggesting that the current Gospel is different than what Jesus left the apostles with, or that the rejection of Jesus and his followers somehow slipped up on Jesus.

Then how do you explain the fact that the Twelve were preaching a gospel at Luke 9:1-2 but at that time they did not even understand that the Lord Jesus was to die (Lk.18:33-34)?

How could they have been preaching that Christ died for our sins at Luke 9:1-2 if they did not even know that He was going to die?

SimpleMan77

Then how do you explain the fact that the Twelve were preaching a gospel at Luke 9:1-2 but at that time they did not even understand that the Lord Jesus was to die (Lk.18:33-34)?

How could they have been preaching that Christ died for our sins at Luke 9:1-2 if they did not even know that He was going to die?

It was impossible to not be that way. The Gospel at that time was developing before their eyes. Jesus couldn't truly be one of us unless he was born and grew up. He chose to be proven to be the Son of God by His words and works before Calvary, and the incomplete Gospel was that "God has visited His people and granted them repentance and remission of their sins".

The only way for the Gospel to be complete as soon as it was introduced would have been for Jesus to suddenly appear from heaven on a cross. That wasn't His plan. His plan was to be tempted like us, and to overcome sin for us - first in His life, then in His death.

The good news started as soon as He was born. God's will was to build a buzz and momentum, so that when the resurrection happened the Apostles could say "this is the fullness of what all the miracles and teachings were all about".

Jerry Shugart

It was impossible to not be that way. The Gospel at that time was developing before their eyes.

No, the gospel being preached at that time was the fact that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. And belief in that good news brought salvation to all who believed it (John 20:30-31; 1 Jn.5:1-5).

After all, it is the "good news" of Christ which brings salvation:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek" (Ro.1:16).

The Jews who believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, were the first ones who received that gospel message and they were the first to be saved by believing the good news of Christ.

This is so simple but due to most people's preconceived ideas that cannot even understand, much less believe, this simple truth.

Interplanner

The whole event of Christ is the Gospel. He preached that himself. The disciples had to be deprogrammed from Judaism, and that took...forever.

Danoh

The whole event of Christ is the Gospel. He preached that himself. The disciples had to be deprogrammed from Judaism, and that took...forever.

The incompetent always use the phrase "the gospel."

Because that is the phrase the tradition of men; their endless books "about;" and their equally endless book reading parroting fools all use.

Whereas in Scripture it is not used in that way much, at all.

It's often use in that way is ever a sure sign...that its' user is...an incompetent.

SaulToPaul 2

The incompetent always use the phrase "the gospel."

Because that is the phrase the tradition of men; their endless books "about;" and their equally endless book reading parroting fools all use.

Whereas in Scripture it is not used in that way much, at all.

It's often use in that way is ever a sure sign...that its' user is...an incompetent.

:up:

Jerry Shugart

Due to your preconceived ideas you dismiss the idea that the gospel preached to the Jews in early Acts is the truth that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. The word "gospel" means "good news" and it was indeed good news to the Jews that Jesus is the promised Christ. And belief in that good news brought salvation (Jn.20:30-31; 1 Jn.5:1-5).

In the Bible this gospel is referred to the gospel of the circumcision:

" But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter"(Gal.2:7).

Interplanner

Due to your preconceived ideas you dismiss the idea that the gospel preached to the Jews in early Acts is the truth that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. The word "gospel" means "good news" and it was indeed good news to the Jews that Jesus is the promised Christ. And belief in that good news brought salvation (Jn.20:30-31; 1 Jn.5:1-5).

In the Bible this gospel is referred to the gospel of the circumcision:

" But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter"(Gal.2:7).

1, If you mean 'Jesus is the Christ who was going to set up a Davidic theocracy' then you are totally wrong. If you mean't 'Jesus is the servant of Is 53' that's fine.

2, you are totally grammatically mistaken about Gal 2. I have written this up many times. You have the wrong grammatical case, which does not show in English. The preposition is modifying WHERE the preachings were done, not the Gospel. The Gospel is one.

Jerry Shugart

1, If you mean 'Jesus is the Christ who was going to set up a Davidic theocracy' then you are totally wrong. If you mean't 'Jesus is the servant of Is 53' that's fine.

Those who believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, receive life and are saved the moment when they believe that truth:

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name"
(Jn.20:31).

And it is the "good news" of Christ or the gospel of Christ that brings salvation:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek" (Ro.1:16).

So it cannot be denied that one gospel is the fact that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.
The Gospel is one.

One gospel is centered on the identity of the Lord Jesus. The other gospel is centered on the fact that Christ died for our sins.

Believing either gospel brings life to the one who believes. This is so simple but you are blind to the truth because of your preconceived ideas.

Interplanner

Those who believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, receive life and are saved the moment when they believe that truth:

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name"
(Jn.20:31).

And it is the "good news" of Christ or the gospel of Christ that brings salvation:

One gospel is centered on the identity of the Lord Jesus. The other gospel is centered on the fact that Christ died for our sins.

Believing either gospel brings life to the one who believes. This is so simple but you are blind to the truth because of your preconceived ideas.

Believing both gospels brings anathema, Gal 1.

Jerry Shugart

Believing both gospels brings anathema, Gal 1.

Is that the only response to what I said about the two gospels? Let us look at this again:

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:31).

I am amazed that you are unable to recognize that the fact that the teaching that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, is "good news" or gospel and belief in that gospel brings salvation.

Interplanner

Is that the only response to what I said about the two gospels? Let us look at this again:

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:31).

I am amazed that you are unable to recognize that the fact that the teaching that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, is "good news" or gospel and belief in that gospel brings salvation.

There is no need to refer to two then. To equate Jesus to the Christ was quite foreign to Judaism. Why do you think that was?

BoyStan

The issue in Acts chapters 1-7 is the rejection of Jesus as Messiah through the apostles witness. The same persons who crucified Jesus reject the apostles preaching of the gospel. At that time the Jewish nation via the leadership had their second and last opportunity to confess Jesus is Lord and messiah. Hence the gospel was sent to the Gentiles.

Interplanner

The issue in Acts chapters 1-7 is the rejection of Jesus as Messiah through the apostles witness. The same persons who crucified Jesus reject the apostles preaching of the gospel. At that time the Jewish nation via the leadership had their second and last opportunity to confess Jesus is Lord and messiah. Hence the gospel was sent to the Gentiles.

That's a pretty good statement. It needs to include that the preaching of the Gospel was THE mission that God wanted them to do going forward to all the world (not that he wouldn't use non-Jews), and 2, that failure to do so would result in the destruction of the country. It did.

SimpleMan77

What's the issue in early Acts between the Gospel and Judaism?

Matthew 10:23 (KJV)

Jesus's was the same breath that created the world. He either prophecies BECAUSE something is GOING TO HAPPEN, or His very breath breaths it into existence.

This prophecy wasn't conditional. If it didn't come to pass in your way of understanding, it is your understanding that is defective, not His prophetic and creative Word.