What was the Gospel God preached to Abraham ?

beloved57

Gal 3:7-8

7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Now was this Gospel Paul is referring to that was preached to Abraham about the Person and Work of Jesus Christ ? Did it have anything to do with the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Christ that Paul mentions in 1 Cor 15:1-4 ? Was it the same Gospel or a different Gospel ? Did God preach to Abraham an Old Test figure a different Gospel from the One Paul Preached to the Galatians under the New Covenant ?

Last edited:

beameup

It took place on one of the mountains of Moriah.
That location would later be the place of the crucifixion.
Currently, it is called the Muslim village of Silwan.

To be precise, the "revelation" took place in "stages".
First, Abraham would have a SON by miraculous means.
Second, his SON would have a multitude of "offspring".
Third, since his SON was promised offspring, then God
would have to resurrect Him after He was offered as a SACRIFICE.
Then ABRAHAM understood God had a SON and God's plan.

Nanja

[FONT=&]7 [/FONT]Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
[FONT=&]8 [/FONT]And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Now was this Gospel Paul is referring to that was preached to Abraham about the Person and Work of Jesus Christ ? Did it have anything to do with the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Christ that Paul mentions in 1 Cor 15:1-4 ? Was it the same Gospel or a different Gospel ? Did God preach to Abraham an Old Test figure a different Gospel from the One Paul Preached to the Galatians under the New Covenant ?

God preached to Abraham the Gospel regarding the forgiveness of sins Paul preached 1 Cor. 15:1-4: One and the same Gospel, the Blood of Christ Justifying by Faith His Elect from all nations of the world. Being Justified by Faith Gal. 3:8 is the fulfillment of the Promise God made to Abraham's Seed, the Seed of Christ Eph. 1:4 God's Elect, who through Christ's Death, Burial and Resurrection, have been given forgiveness of sins according to the riches of His Grace Eph. 1:7 even from Everlasting Heb. 7:22; Heb. 13:20.

Rom. 8:28-30

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

God preordained the Seed of Abraham, the Seed of Christ Gal. 3:16, 29 to the adoption of children according to the good pleasure of His Will Eph. 1:5.

So in other words, God in His Eternal Purpose Eph. 3:11 had already decreed that He was going to Justify some out of the circumcision [ethnic jews] by Faith, and also some out of the uncircumcision [Gentiles] through Faith Rom. 3:30. And that's the Gospel He preached unto Abraham.

Acts 15:18
Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

beloved57

God preached to Abraham the Gospel regarding the forgiveness of sins Paul preached 1 Cor. 15:1-4: One and the same Gospel, the Blood of Christ Justifying by Faith His Elect from all nations of the world. Being Justified by Faith Gal. 3:8 is the fulfillment of the Promise God made to Abraham's Seed, the Seed of Christ Eph. 1:4 God's Elect, who through Christ's Death, Burial and Resurrection, have been given forgiveness of sins according to the riches of His Grace Eph. 1:7 even from Everlasting Heb. 7:22; Heb. 13:20.

Rom. 8:28-30

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

God preordained the Seed of Abraham, the Seed of Christ Gal. 3:16, 29 to the adoption of children according to the good pleasure of His Will Eph. 1:5.

So in other words, God in His Eternal Purpose Eph. 3:11 had already decreed that He was going to Justify some out of the circumcision [ethnic jews] by Faith, and also some out of the uncircumcision [Gentiles] through Faith Rom. 3:30. And that's the Gospel He preached unto Abraham.

Acts 15:18
Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

Yes Mam. Thanks for your comments. Yes The Gospel Abraham had preached to him was Justification by Faith Rom 3:30

Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

Abraham understood that this was conditioned on his Seed Christ , and so he seen His day by Faith and rejoiced. Jn 8:56

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

That word saw is an interesting word, its the word horaó and means:

properly, see, often with metaphorical meaning: "to see with the mind" (i.e. spiritually see), i.e. perceive (with inward spiritual perception).

Its the same word for see in n 3:3

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Abraham was born again by the Spirit and was given the eye of Faith to see Christ !

beloved57

It took place on one of the mountains of Moriah.
That location would later be the place of the crucifixion.
Currently, it is called the Muslim village of Silwan.

To be precise, the "revelation" took place in "stages".
Then ABRAHAM understood God had a SON and God's plan.

Was Abraham on MT Moriah here Gen 12:1-3

Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Nanja

Yes Mam. Thanks for your comments. Yes The Gospel Abraham had preached to him was Justification by Faith Rom 3:30

Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

Abraham understood that this was conditioned on his Seed Christ , and so he seen His day by Faith and rejoiced. Jn 8:56

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

That word saw is an interesting word, its the word horaó and means:

properly, see, often with metaphorical meaning: "to see with the mind" (i.e. spiritually see), i.e. perceive (with inward spiritual perception).

Its the same word for see in n 3:3

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Abraham was born again by the Spirit and was given the eye of Faith to see Christ !

TY, and the Church says Amen !

beameup

Was Abraham on MT Moriah here Gen 12:1-3

Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

That's a PROMISE,
not "the GOSPEL".
Are you :confused:

To be precise, the Gospel "revelation" took place in "stages".
Then ABRAHAM understood God had a SON and God's plan to SACRIFICE Him.

beloved57

beamup

That's a PROMISE,
not "the GOSPEL".

Paul says its the Gospel Gal 3:8

8 [FONT=&quot]And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

CP Gen 12:3

3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.[/FONT]

beameup

beamup

Paul says its the Gospel Gal 3:8

8 [FONT="]And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, [B]preached before the [U][B]good news[/B][/U] unto Abraham, saying, [U]In thee shall all nations be blessed.
[/U][/B][/QUOTE] GOOD NEWS

What is it about STAGES that you don't understand?

[FONT=Arial Black]Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you [COLOR="#0000FF"]the gospel
which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:[/FONT] - 1 Corinthians 15:1-8

Tnkrbl123!

7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

I found this commentary to be a very thorough (it's long for a commentary on only 3 verses) but it's an easy read and understandable and it does a very good job of explaining the context that Paul is talking about in regard to Abraham and his story of faith and the cultural context of the Galatians and how Paul is comparing them to Abraham even though they are gentiles. I found it really helpful. :)

**The first few paragraphs are interesting but the 3rd and definitely the 4th paragraph on really gets to a good answer for your question. Read from the 3rd paragraph down and to the end and it will really help to unpack your question thoroughly.
It does a much better job of explaining it than I can do here and it it too long to copy and paste but I think you will find it really helpful :)

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/Gal/Identifying-Children-Abraham

beloved57

GOOD NEWS

What is it about STAGES that you don't understand?

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: - 1 Corinthians 15:1-8

Denial of scripture and rabbit trail.

beameup

Denial of scripture and rabbit trail.

And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. - Genesis 17:1-4

Note that God gave him "GOOD NEWS" (gospel) when he was still a Gentile, before his name was changed to AbraHAm and before the rite of circumcision, which made him a Jew.

beloved57

And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. - Genesis 17:1-4

Note that God gave him "GOOD NEWS" (gospel) when he was still a Gentile, before his name was changed to AbraHAm and before the rite of circumcision, which made him a Jew.

Denial of scripture Gen 12:3 The Gospel to Abraham. Gal 3:8 !

beameup

And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do [to Sodom and Gomorrah] seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? - Genesis 18:17-18

And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son [Ishmael was the firstborn]: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice. - Genesis 22:16-18

And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. - Galatians 3:8 See Genesis 17:1-4

beloved57

And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do [to Sodom and Gomorrah] seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? - Genesis 18:17-18

And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son [Ishmael was the firstborn]: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice. - Genesis 22:16-18

And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. - Galatians 3:8 See Genesis 17:1-4

beameup says Gen 12:3 wasnt the Gospel preached to Abraham regardless of what Gods word said !