What the McCain Eulogies Tell Us About the Media and the Regime

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
I wasn't aware that there are tiers when it comes to sinful behaviors such as adultery.[/quote]

Betraying three wives, one after the other is worse than one adultery, yes. A sin is an affront to God. The more you do it, the worse it is.

Going by that standard: If we were to talk about the numerous adulterous affairs of Bill Clinton and Donald "New York values" Trump, it could be argued that McCain leaving his crippled wife for a rich beauty queen is worse that the numerous affairs Clinton and his fellow liberal Donald Trump engaged in.

Adultery is bad. Leaving one's wife is worse, of course. That's a double betrayal. So Trump goes to the bottom, Trump 2, McCain 1, Clinton 0. But on the other hand, Trump and Clinton were serial adulterers. So Trump and Clinton (lots and lots), McCain 1.

Of course, Trump and McCain being conservatives, leaving wives is kind of a tradition for them. Would you like a list of prominent conservatives who've left their wives?

How about we just say this instead:
"Liberals cheat on their wives as much as conservatives do, but they don't abandon them as much."

So the Arizona Republican Party reprimanded John McCain for being conservative?

Barbarian chuckles:
No, from the statement you presented, they reprimanded him for being an American. His willingness to compromise with other Americans seems to have infuriated them.

So that's what liberals are calling themselves these days

That's what Americans are calling themselves these days.

Flag waving-blue blooded "Americans"

Used to be, conservatives were like that, too. Some, like McCain, held on longer. Now the face of American conservatism is changing:

830617844.jpg

Citronella snowflakes. But I could be wrong. There may be a watershed coming, and a return to decency. We'll see.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Betraying three wives, one after the other is worse than one adultery, yes. A sin is an affront to God. The more you do it, the worse it is.

you're conveniently ignoring the fact that Carol Shepp was recently divorced from Alasdair E. Swanson when she started dating John McCain in 1964

Tinark

nonsense - they can be reprimanded (as McCain was) or kicked out of the party

My mistake.

It leaves no room to denounce or withhold support for policies and candidates of the Party that are not the best for the country. No exceptions ("fully support" are the exact words used). This is exactly what putting party over country first means. You suggest that those who may want to put country first over party should leave the party. Not a bad idea. Hopefully that will fracture the Republicians further.

Tinark

let me guess - you're a liberal/democrat?

Firmly anti-Trump and the stranglehold his politics has on the Republician party. I'd vote for some Republicians (the ones who lean economically conservative and socially liberal) but not if they fully support Trump's agenda and are unwilling to fight against bad policies regardless of whether they come from the Dems or the President.

Not really Democrat or liberal. I am against many of the policies Elizabeth Warren proposes, for example. I'm best described as a neo-liberal.

ok doser

Firmly anti-Trump and the stranglehold his politics has on the Republician party. I'd vote for some Republicians (the ones who lean economically conservative and socially liberal) but not if they fully support Trump's agenda and are unwilling to fight against bad policies regardless if whether they come from the Dems or the President.

fair enough, and I have to run, but wanted to ask...

what "socially liberal" policies/legislation do you support?

Tinark

fair enough, and I have to run, but wanted to ask...

what "socially liberal" policies/legislation do you support?

I'm best described as a neoliberal.

Here is a decent article discussing and supporting neoliberalism:
https://medium.com/@marcdloeb/neoli...economic-system-in-human-history-9a9bd91eda4c

Socially liberal policies I support are the usual ones:

-Gay marriage and no government interference in any arrangements/relationships consenting adults want to have with each other

-Marijuana legalization (and other drug decriminalization, similar to Portugal)

-Legal prostitution (with licensing to certify age and consent, I would keep paying for an unlicensed prostitute illegal)

-Pro-choice

-Comprehensive sex education starting around the age of 10

-Allow people to take experimental medical pharmaceuticals even if not approved by the FDA (as long as they give informed consent)

The principle is generally no government interference in social affairs unless someone is making someone else an unwilling victim and/or someone is violating someone else's rights.

If you are interested in discussing any of this further we should start a new thread so as to not derail this one.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
You suggest that those who may want to put country first over party should leave the party. Not a bad idea. Hopefully that will fracture the Republicians further.

It's happening to some degree. However, I think that eventually the GOP will pull itself together, toss out the white supremacists, KKK, and Nazis, and move back to something most Americans can support.

It's either that, or we get a new party on the right that excludes those people. I think the former will be the case.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's happening to some degree. However, I think that eventually the GOP will pull itself together, toss out the white supremacists, KKK, and Nazis, and move back to something most Americans can support.

It's either that, or we get a new party on the right that excludes those people. I think the former will be the case.

I think the only way this will happen is to have the Dems take control of the House and hopefully the Senate. That would mean a whole lot of investigations that the GOP could no longer obstruct.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I think the only way this will happen is to have the Dems take control of the House and hopefully the Senate. That would mean a whole lot of investigations that the GOP could no longer obstruct.

If the dems take back either house, look for a lot more oversight, and more embarrassing revelations. If the House goes democrat, I imagine Devin Nunes will be up late with the shredder.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Fox News has disabled comments on YouTube videos about the death of John McCain following an outpouring of nastiness on the network's own website from its commenters.

"Comments are disabled for this video,” the space under the videos reads on YouTube videos about McCain from the network. A cursory review of the Fox News YouTube channel demonstrates that this policy appears to apply to all stories about McCain released following his death.

The comments at Fox News' website were appalling in their viciousness.
SPONSORED

“I’m sorry, but I can’t celebrate the life of a man who has done so much evil,” one commenter on the Fox News site wrote. “He is burning in Hell right now, and receiving the due payment for his evil deeds.”

A common response was "good riddance."

McCain died on Saturday night at age 81 following a battle with an aggressive form of brain cancer.

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-p...ideos-about-john-mccains-death-its-supporters

Who didn't see that coming?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
True....so.....?
I'm not sure collectivism is the right approach, critically. Maybe because I tend to think of it as I've been exposed to it, as more of a political and economic theory. How do you apply it to the sociological? I mean you, particularly, not how it can be by someone else. Not poking at you, just not sure of the approach. Tell me more about it in this particular. I'm interested.

ok doser

He cheated on her.

She claimed he cheated on her and he didn't contest it - it was a common way to get a divorce back when they weren't all that easy to get, back before no-fault divorce became common

i remember as a kid hearing adults talking about people going to Nevada to get a quickie divorce and thinking it was a joke i didn't understand

my point was that she was not without sin herself

Should she have stayed with him?

with two young children at risk? I'll say yes, the best solution would have been for her father and her husband's father to beat the crap out of her wayward husband and remind him of his familial duties, set him back on the straight and narrow

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A lot of individuals were berated, beaten, hung from trees, denied the vote, told where they couldn't live, etc.
That's the point of collectivism. All the individuals in a group are given a certain status based on superficial cues. Thus, the outcome you point out here is consistent with what DB said.

That's why Democrats/progressives/leftists are still more racist than Republicans/conservatives/rightists - as they've been since Andrew Jackson - because intersectionality is at the heart of racism and also Democrat political success. (Please note this is not an endorsement of Republicans, but merely evidence that Democrats have been and continue to be relatively more racist because leftists/liberals/progressives have been and continue to believe in intersectionality more than Republicans/rightists/conservatives).

So, to bring this back to the OP. McCain was a supporter of intersectional policies and does not deserve praise from conservative/rightist people, while at the same time explains the great praise from Democrats.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's the point of collectivism. All the individuals in a group are given a certain status based on superficial cues. Thus, the outcome you point out here is consistent with what DB said. That's why Democrats/progressives/leftists are still more racist than Republicans/conservatives/rightists
Racists have always aligned more readily with the conservative protectors of tradition, regardless of the name you put to it. Once upon a time in the South that more aptly described the Democratic Party. As I've noted prior, that shifted to the Republican Party after LBJ's Great Society left much of the racist South feeling betrayed.

Sounds more like the ethnocentric principle in application. Sometimes you get the Boy Scouts and sometimes you get the Brown Shirts.

So, to bring this back to the OP. McCain was a supporter of intersectional policies and does not deserve praise from conservative/rightist people, while at the same time explains the great praise from Democrats.
McCain is being lauded for a number of things and by members of both parties. As for the characters who attempt to hijack tributes to a fallen patriot, they do themselves no real favor in any sense of the word.