What makes you an American?

ClimateSanity

What makes you an American other than citizenship? IOW, what's the essential difference between you and a Brit? What's the essential difference between you and a Muslim Pakistani? What is it about you that makes you uniquely American?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
What makes you an American other than citizenship? IOW, what's the essential difference between you and a Brit? What's the essential difference between you and a Muslim Pakistani? What is it about you that makes you uniquely American?
Off the top of my head, my family heritage and being born and raised in 'Merica

ClimateSanity

Off the top of my head, my family heritage and being born and raised in 'Merica
Is our history part of being American? If that is removed and taken away from our national consciousness, are future inhabitants of this country as much American as we are or does that make them radically different than us?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Is our history part of being American? If that is removed and taken away from our national consciousness, are future inhabitants of this country as much American as we are or does that make them radically different than us?
I was going to say history as well, once removed, the future inhabitants will be uninformed. Maybe not radically different than us but missing significant parts of who we are.

Truster

Americans are the descendants of tired, poor, and huddled masses who were/are part of an experiment begun in 1776 and ratified 1787. The experiment is still running, obviously...

gcthomas

Are you after a single cultural identity that will exclude the minorities, or would you recognise that there are many ways to be American?

Truster

America was also a penal colony for Great Britain who sent around 52,000 criminals across the Atlantic.

gcthomas

There is a British culture and the same for all the world. Is America the only country where this doesn't or should not exist?

If you have visited towns in the UK that are within a hour's drive of each other you would see rather significant cultural differences. Cardiff vs Bristol, Brighton vs Eastbourne, Edingburgh vs Glasgow. Even town vs country. Different accents, skin colours often, religions, economic and social traditions.

There is no single British culture.

Truster

If you have visited towns in the UK that are within a hour's drive of each other you would see rather significant cultural differences. Cardiff vs Bristol, Brighton vs Eastbourne, Edingburgh vs Glasgow. Even town vs country. Different accents, skin colours often, religions, economic and social traditions.

I was brought up in the Swansea valley and we were tribal.

glassjester

Is there nothing common to all (or most) British people, except location?