What makes you an American?

ClimateSanity

How do you remove history from someone? With a weaponized time machine?
By removing the true history from all texts and by removing monuments. The future generations have no access to the truth at that point. Does this still do a flyby over your head?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
By removing the true history from all texts
You mean by correcting fairly Eurocentric history, enriching the context by adding to notice of those at best left in the footnotes prior? That's not removing anything but blinders.

and by removing monuments.
Monuments to evil are neither necessary for history to be perfectly recalled, nor justifiable in the honor conferred by them.

The future generations have no access to the truth at that point.
They actually have more access and to a broader understanding of the truth of history than in any time before...if we can manage to get millennials to read, of course.

ClimateSanity

They actually have more access and to a broader understanding of the truth...town

Calling a flat out lie a broader understanding of the truth does not make it truth. A lie is a lie no matter how you dress it up.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
It was not Lee and Jackson who were evil, it was the symbolism, later, attached to them, which was evil. Lee was a good man who saw Virginia as his country, not the USA. Grant was not more moral the Lee, or Jackson.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What makes you an American other than citizenship? IOW, what's the essential difference between you and a Brit? What's the essential difference between you and a Muslim Pakistani? What is it about you that makes you uniquely American?

Well, muslims all go to hell. So there is that. I was going to post the 14th amendment to show why the practice of anchor babies by illegal aliens is false, and the "citizen" should be sent back to Mexico with the rest of the illegal relatives.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Monuments to evil....town

I don't know of any monuments to evil being taken down.
They should leave them all.
At the very least, they should leave two.

William Tecumseh Sherman
IMG_8318.jpg

Nathan Bedford Forrest
forrest.jpg

Both these men fought on opposing sides.
They both knew full well that war was monstrous, so no need to try and dress it up as anything but monstrous.
And the surest and quickest way to end it was to be as brutal as possible.

These men are perfect reminders of what war is.
They should be displayed side by side.
It should be remembered as it was.

It is not the honors of war that cause surrenders and defeats.
It is the horrors or war.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No. I mean exactly what I said.
You didn't really say much then. What history is being rewritten in a way that's less than accurate? Without specifics you're just making a lot of noise without substance.

Your ignorance isn't a point of debate.

Calling a flat out lie a broader understanding of the truth does not make it truth.
Asserting without proof that I did anything of the sort doesn't do much either.

The fact is the internet and disparate voices and rich sources of documented information means that people have better chance of finding and understanding the truth about nearly anything, provided they develop the critical thinking skills and methodology to get at it.

A lie is a lie no matter how you dress it up.
An empty accusation (and you mostly live by those) is always exposed by the lack of anything else to hold it up.

And that, kid, is you in a nutshell. You're all saddle and no horse.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You didn't really say much then. What history is being rewritten in a way that's less than accurate? Without specifics you're just making a lot of noise without substance.

Your ignorance isn't a point of debate.

Asserting without proof that I did anything of the sort doesn't do much either.

The fact is the internet and disparate voices and rich sources of documented information means that people have better chance of finding and understanding the truth about nearly anything, provided they develop the critical thinking skills and methodology to get at it.

An empty accusation (and you mostly live by those) is always exposed by the lack of anything else to hold it up.

And that, kid, is you in a nutshell. You're all saddle and no horse.
Too bad you have trouble finding and understanding the truth

rexlunae

Monuments to evil....town

That's a commentary on you, your moral perception, and nothing else. If you can't figure out the problem with monuments celebrating slavery's defenders, you are lost. There's a reason you don't see monuments to the gallantry and bravery of the Nazis in Germany. It's time the US did the same with our monuments to our own national disgrace.