What is your personal experience of Islam?

How have you personally come across Islam and Muslims in your day to day life? At work, in your community, while travelling, etc? How have these experiences shaped your views of Islam?

Cam

BANNED
Banned
Chair did and identical thread a few weeks ago. You might search for that and add your input.

He seemed to want to humanize Muslims, except, every Muslim he knew was a servant of some kind- no late night talks over pistachios and the local microbrew.

Aimiel

I took an Iranian student, who was a Muslim (years before the hostage situation) to our church with me one Sunday. It just so happened that it was the church's 40th anniversary. All they talked about was building and growth and pastor so-and-so did this and pastor so-and-so did that. Jesus' Name was never mentioned. I had witnessed to him and he was very impressed with what I knew about Jesus. I believe he might have gotten saved that day had there been an invitation. That was the last time I ever went to that church. He was NOT impressed. Neither was I. I've led several Muslims to Christ, but mostly young students.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
How have you personally come across Islam and Muslims in your day to day life? At work, in your community, while travelling, etc? How have these experiences shaped your views of Islam?
Are you sure you want to pull back from a narrow-minded prejudice and sterotyping?

The Berean

During the summer of 1993 I rented a room for the summer so I could take some summer college classes. One of my roommates was a Muslim guy from Afghanistan. He was orthodox Muslim, he prayed 5x a day, participated in Ramadam, etc. I got to know him a bit that summer as we had long conversations often. I was curious about Islam and he was willing to share. He was a smart guy and easy to get along with. He had left Afghanistan right before the Soviets invaded (in 1979 I think) and he came from an affluent family. I think his father was a doctor. He was a mechanical engineering student. I ran into him again in 1999 when he started working at my aerospace company. It was funny when we ran into each other in the hallway. Anyway, I left my company in 2003 and lost track of him.

chair

He seemed to want to humanize Muslims, except, every Muslim he knew was a servant of some kind....

Here is the relevant post:
The Muslims that I know the best are:

The lady who cleans our house. She has become more religious over the years, and now dresses differently and wear a hijab on her head. Brought her son to our house once, when school was on vacation. Sunni, which is the most common here.

A gentleman who used to work for me. PhD in one of the hard sciences. Alawi (think Syria). Not many of those here. Their society has changed dramatically in the last generation or two, for example, as far as the status of women.

The cab driver who takes me to the airport and back (I tend to travel a lot for my work). Has twin girls, and hopes that they will get well-educated.

There are a number of Muslim tradesmen (carpenters and the like) that I know, but not very well. Also some physicians.

The point of this thread (in case you haven't figured it out), is to re-humanize Muslims in our minds. I though this was necessary, considering some of the threads that we have seen recently.

I am quite aware of the threat that radical Islam poses. More aware on a personal level than most TOL posters, I think. But I am also aware of the danger of lumping all Muslims together, and going off on anti-Muslim hate-fests.

For those who don't know: I live in Israel.

Your reading this "...except, every Muslim he knew was a servant of some kind..." is quite curious.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Your reading this "...except, every Muslim he knew was a servant of some kind..." is quite curious.

i also noticed backed then, a percieved slant towards mentioning their status and position, at the end "and some physicians" - you didn't mean it that way, and i took what you said as sharing. i posted as well. that's the problem with words on a screen, no facial expressions and personal interaction. i can say, that the last thing i would mention is probably what they do for a living, or making it known my status above anyone. again, i'm not saying that's what you were doing, just words on a screen. depending on the "mood" and personality of the reader, i can't tell how somebody is gonna take something. it's hard for people to tell sometimes, when i'm kidding in person, with a dry sense of humor (and silly) and a straight face. heck, everybody i know is smarter and more successful than me, just ask 'em - :plain:

Cam

BANNED
Banned

Shouldn't be. You don't party with muslims. You said you wanted to humanize them and that is noble.

Hey, what to do you think of this nick m character? Claims to be a follower of the one who taught us to love our enemies and then tells us the world is a better place now that three Muslim college students have been shot dead.

Crickets from his allies and co-religionists on the board all except for one- Nazaroo defended the remark. Are these guys devils, or what?

bybee

Shouldn't be. You don't party with muslims. You said you wanted to humanize them and that is noble.

Hey, what to do you think of this nick m character? Claims to be a follower of the one who taught us to love our enemies and then tells us the world is a better place now that three Muslim college students have been shot dead.

Crickets from his allies and co-religionists on the board all except for one- Nazaroo defended the remark. Are these guys devils, or what?

Not Devils, but, very fearful of the Islamic agenda in America.
It is tragic that three young Muslims were killed just as it is tragic whenever innocent blood is shed.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I was in jerusalem, in the house of a muslim family and their five kids were practicing their english on me as soon as I arrived
their father's brother brought me there to explain why I had to get out of the house I was staying at
very soon an angry neighbor arrived to explain to me what would happen if anything happened to the dome of the rock
there were rumors that some crazy christian would commit suicide at the dome which was preventing the third temple that would allow the second coming
in the past some crazy christian had stayed in the house I was in and the neighbors did not want another one
so why did they ask me to stay there is the first place?
it was a scam

Repentance

BANNED
Banned
happened to the dome of the rock
there were rumors that some crazy christian would commit suicide at the dome which was preventing the third temple that would allow the second coming

It's true then - that the third temple has to be built before Jesus would return?

Cam

BANNED
Banned
Not Devils, but, very fearful of the Islamic agenda in America.
It is tragic that three young Muslims were killed just as it is tragic whenever innocent blood is shed.

I hear you, very fearful.

Unfortunately, so far you are the only Zionist to distance yourself from his remark.

Cam

BANNED
Banned
It's true then - that the third temple has to be built before Jesus would return?

You didnt ask me but i want to comment anyway.

Any temple anyone makes with human hands, sacrificing blood because jesus' blood was insufficient, it is a temple of satan.

I dont pretend to know all the times and places of OT prophecies but i do know some profess to know things they do not. Sometimes they take prophecies of the first return from exile and they call them yet future. And many prophecies refer to people on earth in our day because we are the generation of the end, just as generations before us believed...

Who or what is this modern nation Israel? OT Israel is an animal sacrificing, temple worshipping, Torah complying artifact. Who is going to present animal sacrifices and call them pleasing to God? In how many bodies is Christ reconciling the world? If Paul took even the word circumcision away from fleshly, national Israel, with what was it to be reconstituted?

Israel was recreated in 1948 with apostate Christians under the spirit of the Pharisees and Christ-rejecting Khazarian Talmudists flying a flag that is intrinsically a 666 (get mad at yourself, it wasnt my idea).

Re-examine what you think you know about "the" return and how it relates to any temple of the devil.

bybee

You didnt ask me but i want to comment anyway.

Any temple anyone makes with human hands, sacrificing blood because jesus' blood was insufficient, it is a temple of satan.

I dont pretend to know all the times and places of OT prophecies but i do know some profess to know things they do not. Sometimes they take prophecies of the first return from exile and they call them yet future. And many prophecies refer to people on earth in our day because we are the generation of the end, just as generations before us believed...

Who or what is this modern nation Israel? OT Israel is an animal sacrificing, temple worshipping, Torah complying artifact. Who is going to present animal sacrifices and call them pleasing to God? In how many bodies is Christ reconciling the world? If Paul took even the word circumcision away from fleshly, national Israel, with what was it to be reconstituted?

Israel was recreated in 1948 with apostate Christians under the spirit of the Pharisees and Christ-rejecting Khazarian Talmudists flying a flag that is intrinsically a 666 (get mad at yourself, it wasnt my idea).

Re-examine what you think you know about "the" return and how it relates to any temple of the devil.

We live today. What a lot of past baloney we wrap ourselves in.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

what?

he is talking about the crazy christians who do believe the third temple is necessary for the second coming

are you not aware of this?

Repentance

BANNED
Banned

But the creation of this rogue state DID fulfil dozens of prophecies, didn't it? It could as well be that they are on the wrong side of things, but no doubt it fulfilled a lot of scripture and continues to do so...

Cam

BANNED
Banned
But the creation of this rogue state DID fulfil dozens of prophecies, didn't it? It could as well be that they are on the wrong side of things, but no doubt it fulfilled a lot of scripture and continues to do so...

Not if the NT is true. Love to see those proofs if you want to switch over to the religion forum.