What is the unity of the Trinity?

What makes a man think he can easily understand the nature of a God Who has no beginning and no end and created all things seen and unseen and allows all things to continue to exist.

MWinther

I don't claim to understand the nature of God. This is a contribution to Christian apologetics. The dogma of the Trinity is constantly under attack for being contrary to reason. I show that it accords with reason.

I don't claim to understand the nature of God. This is a contribution to Christian apologetics. The dogma of the Trinity is constantly under attack for being contrary to reason. I show that it accords with reason.

My apologies. I generally do not discuss religion but I do believe in the Trinity and I misunderstood your meaning.

ttruscott

Deut 6:4
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is One [echad].

Genesis 2:24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one [echad] flesh.

Echad can refer to the word one and to the word unity, as Gen 2:4 indicates.

We understand that things are defined by their attributes; cats have cat dna attributes, apple trees have different dna attribute than corn, etc.

The FATHER is a Person with the divine attributes of omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence, etc.

The Son is a Person with the divine attributes of omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence, etc.

The Holy Spirit is a Person with the divine attributes of omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence, etc.

The nature of these Divine attributes is such that they form a perfect GODly UNITY so that while there are three divine persons, there is only ONE GOD. That is, the perfection of the unity of divine attributes makes it proper to refer to this unity as ONE GOD, not three gods...even though each of the Three is a Divine being.

Bradley D

Deut 6:4
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is One [echad].

Genesis 2:24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one [echad] flesh.

Echad can refer to the word one and to the word unity, as Gen 2:4 indicates.

We understand that things are defined by their attributes; cats have cat dna attributes, apple trees have different dna attribute than corn, etc.

The FATHER is a Person with the divine attributes of omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence, etc.

The Son is a Person with the divine attributes of omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence, etc.

The Holy Spirit is a Person with the divine attributes of omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence, etc.

The nature of these Divine attributes is such that they form a perfect GODly UNITY so that while there are three divine persons, there is only ONE GOD. That is, the perfection of the unity of divine attributes makes it proper to refer to this unity as ONE GOD, not three gods...even though each of the Three is a Divine being.
And didn't the Son and Holy Spirit receive those "divine attributes" from the Father?

Right Divider

Body part
Where did they come from?
They (the Son and the Holy Spirit) are both God. Therefore, they have and had ALL the "divine attributes" all along. If they did not have some at some point in time.... then they are NOT God.

They did NOT "receive some divine attributes" at some point in time.

They had ALL divine attributes for all of eternity.
There is only one God!
Yes.

Father -- 100% God.
Son -- 100% God.
Holy Spirit -- 100% God.

Derf

And didn't the Son and Holy Spirit receive those "divine attributes" from the Father?
Do you have some scripture saying either received any divine attributes? We have some that suggest Jesus may have given up some divine attributes when He became a man, but that's debated.