ECT What is Predestination?

Jerry Shugart

Chosen IN Him connotes God using His foreknowledge, so of course He knows who will be saved, and they are those who are IN Him.

Can you not read what is said in the verse?

It says that they were CHOSEN "in Him" before the foundation of the world!

CHOSEN in Him! That means that a person is in Him at the time when he is chosen.

An this verse speaks of being chosen "in Him":

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess.2:13).​

In this instance the word "sanctification" means "separation to God" (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words).

The Christian is separated to God when he is baptized into the Body of Christ when the One Spirit baptizes Him into the Body of Christ:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).​

And that is exactly what is being taught here:

"Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet.1:2).​

Therefore, the following verse tells us exactly how a person is elected:

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess.2:13).​

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

God pre-destined the world to be saved by Jesus Christ.

If God pre-destined the world to be saved then the whole world would be saved. But that is not what the following passage is referring to:

"But we do know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to purpose. Because whom he has foreknown, he has also predestinated [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, so that he should be [the] firstborn among many brethren" (Ro.8:28-29; DBY).​

Here Paul is saying that all things work together for good to those saved (them that love God, the called) and the reason he can say that is because it has been determined beforehand that the saved will be conformed to the image of the Son. And that will happen when the saints are caught up to meet the Lord Jesus in the air and will put on glorious bodies just like His (Phil.3:21).

So this passage is saying that it is those who are saved who are predestinated and not the unsaved.

StanJ

Can you not read what is said in the verse?
It says that they were CHOSEN "in Him" before the foundation of the world!
CHOSEN in Him! That means that a person is in Him at the time when he is chosen.

Yes, although I read it as it was intended, which is;

"chosen, IN HIM"

If you don't see the difference then you make scripture contradict itself.
They were chosen AFTER they were in Him, based on God's foreknowledge of their decision.

Jerry Shugart

"chosen, IN HIM"

I cannot even find one translation of the verse which says, "chosen, IN HIM..."

Instead, all of the translations say "CHOSEN in Him" before the foundation of the world!

An this verse speaks of being chosen "in Him":

In this instance the word "sanctification" means "separation to God" (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words).

The Christian is separated to God when he is baptized into the Body of Christ when the One Spirit baptizes Him into the Body of Christ:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).​

And that is exactly what is being taught here:

"Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet.1:2).​

Therefore, the following verse tells us exactly how a person is elected:

Of course you disagree because you continue to cling to the false teaching of Calvinism in regard to election. So give me your interpretation of the meaning of what is written in "bold" in the following verse:

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Well that's funny because you quoted it. Look at your post in 362.

I said that I could not find even one translation that translated the verse like you say it should be translated:

"chosen, IN HIM"

In which version of the Bible do we see a comma before the words "in Him"?

Now once again I will ask you to give me your interpretation of the meaning of what is written in "bold" in the following verse:

Hawkins

So this passage is saying that it is those who are saved who are predestinated and not the unsaved.

I think that you are right. It's because it doesn't need to predestine the unsaved.

Freewill/predestination is a very early concept developed among the Jews. The Essenes believe in complete predestination and thus no freewill. The Sadducees believe the opposite, that is, complete freewill with no predestination. While the Pharisees are in between, they believe that predestination is co-operated with freewill.

That being said, IMO predestination basically means God provides the chances for the saved to show themselves up as the saved in front of the angles (and other witnesses), such that the saved will be legitimately brought to Heaven under open witnessing. That is, the Pharisaic concept is more or less correct.

Alternatively speaking, our time in planet earth is short and limited. God knows who is who from the very beginning before the creation, but not the angels. God thus designed through predestination that the saved will be separated from the unsaved during their life time on earth, openly witnessed by the angels and the chosen saints as witnesses.

StanJ

I said that I could not find even one translation that translated the verse like you say it should be translated:
In which version of the Bible do we see a comma before the words "in Him"?
Now once again I will ask you to give me your interpretation of the meaning of what is written in "bold" in the following verse:
"Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet.1:2).

Or colons and quotation marks like you use Jerry?
Give me a break and stop with all your stupid obfuscation.
I only use your style back on you and you don't even recognize it?
You are sadly, VERY transparent.

Jerry Shugart

You are sadly, VERY transparent.

You are sadly, VERY ignorant of what the Bible teaches.

Now for the third time I will ask you to give me your interpretation of the meaning of what is written in "bold" in the following verse:

Here is your chance to prove that you are not ignorant of what the Bible teaches so don't blow your chance!

StanJ

You are sadly, VERY ignorant of what the Bible teaches.

Now for the third time I will ask you to give me your interpretation of the meaning of what is written in "bold" in the following verse:
"Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet.1:2).
Here is your chance to prove that you are not ignorant of what the Bible teaches so don't blow your chance!

Again, I don't need bold to read the scriptures properly like you appear to need Jerry but also I don't read them OUT of context like you do.

Foreknowledge is always how God makes His plans.

Jerry Shugart

Again, I don't need bold to read the scriptures properly like you appear to need Jerry but also I don't read them OUT of context like you do.

You continue to refuse to address what is in "bold" here:

Do you deny that being elected is "through sanctification of the Spirit"?

Of course you refused to give me your interpretation of the words in "bold" and then you make up excuses as to why you continue to run and hide from that verse.

The following verse speaks of the same exact thing and we can see it refers to being saved:

You cling to the teaching of the Calvinists on this subject and you refuse to answer my question and you turn your eyes from the truth.

All I see from you is the fact that you put more faith in what some men say about the Scriptures than you do in what the Scriptues actually say.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

YOU are either blind or deliberately obtuse. In either case you have been properly instructed and won't get any other answers from me regarding this issue.

All you do is to make excuses why you will not actually address the verses which I quoted. I said what those verses mean. But all you do is run and hide concerning their meaning.

I can now see why no one takes you seriously.

Last edited:

StanJ

All you do is to make excuses why you will not actually address the verses which I quoted. I said what those verses mean. But all you do is run and hide concerning their meaning.
I can now see why no one takes you seriously.

No, I refuse to play your games with constant repetition. You have had my ANSWER for quite a while now, and reject or refuse to recognize it...your problem, NOT mine.

Many take me seriously Jerry, as many don't take you seriously. Going there never works on me as it is the last resort of a desperate person who can't make his point stick.

Jerry Shugart

No, I refuse to play your games with constant repetition.

All you do is to play games.

Of course you refused to give me your interpretation of the words in "bold" and then you make up excuses as to why you continue to run and hide from that verse.

The following verse speaks of the same exact thing and we can see it refers to being saved:

You cling to the teaching of the Calvinists on this subject and you refuse to answer my question and you turn your eyes from the truth.

All I see from you is the fact that you put more faith in what some men say about the Scriptures than you do in what the Scriptures actually say.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

All I see from you is the fact that you put more faith in what some men say about the Scriptures than you do in what the Scriptures actually say.

I deny it

We are elect to be saved through sanctification of the Spirit. That tells the who the elect, and the means, through sanctification of the Spirit.

WHO He did foreknow He also chose.

StanJ

Regardless if you are deliberately obtuse or not, you have been given the answer yet you refuse to accept it. To continually ask the same thing over and over just shows the game you play Jerry and you're frustrated that I won't play along. So sad...too bad!

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

I deny it

We are elect to be saved through sanctification of the Spirit. That tells the who the elect, and the means, through sanctification of the Spirit.

WHO He did foreknow He also chose.

Let us look at this verse:

"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love" (Eph.1:4).​

CHOSEN in Him! That means that a person is in Him at the time when he is chosen. Once a person is "in Him" or "in Christ" he is saved:

"Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory" (2 Tim.2:10).​

So we can see that being chosen before the foundation of the world is in regard to salvation since the elect are chosen "in Him." In other words, no one is chosen "in Him" unless salvation is secured.

And that is exactly what this verse is speaking about:

Last edited:

Dialogos

No it does not say what I have emboldened above, which seems to be a vernacular commonly used in RT apologetics, it talks about foreknowledge, and in this case of His own people who WOULD chose to know Him.
Stan, is Romans 8:29 talking about God knowing the people or their choice? That’s the issue.
You have shifted all the over the place on this question.

You first stated:
StanJ said:
nikolai....

The scriptures show that BEING in Christ is when God predestines us, NOT before. His predestination is about being made Christ like, NOT about being predestined to be saved. His predestinating always comes AFTER His foreknowledge of what people will/would do.
ALL this was decided and planned before day 1 of creation. God is NOT reactive, He is proactive.
Now you are claiming that God knows the people who would choose Him.

Which is it, does Paul mean to tell us that God knows the people or the choices the people will make?

You will later in your post say the following:
StanJ said:
Well yes of course it refers to people, and those and their actions are conveyed in v28, so I don't really understand what your point is here?
My point is Moo’s point.

“ That the verb here contains this peculiarly biblical sense of “know” is suggested by the fact that it has a simple personal object. Paul does not say that God knew anything about us but that he knew us, and this is reminiscent of the OT sense of “know.” (Douglas Moo cited earlier)”​

Regarding 1 Peter 1:2 you said:
StanJ said:
Well I guess if you didn't use the KJV you would understand better. It says;
who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father
Foreknowledge is how God made His plan, and ALL aspects of it.
First, I didn’t use the KJV. Second, you are just begging the question. I consider προγνωσις to mean “pre-arrange” (strongs 4268 if you like Strongs) just as I consider προγινωσκω to mean “choose beforehand” or if you like Strongs “4267” ordain beforehand.

StanJ said:
I never said it did. It supports what Paul also writes in Rom 8:28-30.
Yes that is what it says, according to the PURPOSE based on His will. Nowhere does it convey His will is to Sovereignly elect ANYONE.

If God isn’t Sovereign in election, then who is?

StanJ said:
Yes, HIS purpose which 2 Peter 3:9 (NIV) succinctly shows. Obviously, NOT Sovereign Election.
Again, if God isn’t sovereign in election, who is?

Now I ask a very simple Greek question.
Dialogos said:
You are going to have to explain how the tense voice and mood of the verb determines the lexical meaning.
Actually, can you please site us some source that tells us that tense, voice and mood in any way indicate lexical meaning.
And your reply is as follows:
StanJ said:
Really? You purport to understand Greek and don't know this? I'm not a Greek teacher, but feel free to study the following;
http://www.studylight.org/desk/interlinear.cgi?search_form_type=interlinear&q1=Romans+8%3A29&ot=bhs&nt=wh&s=0&t3=str_nas&ns=0
Stan, nothing about your link to an interlinear answers the question. It gives me the Wescott and Hort text and the NAS translation. Nowhere does it claim that tense, voice and mood determine lexical meaning.

So do you have a source from a recognized Koine Greek grammarian that makes this claim?

Do you even understand the question?

Contrary to your assertion Strong never makes this claim, and neither does Wallace in the following article you cited:
https://bible.org/article/do-all-things-really-work-together-good-romans-828-its-context

But you can easily copy where he did and paste it to prove me wrong.

StanJ said:
What IS used in 1 Peter 1:20 , is NOT translated as "preordained", but the same as it is in all the following translations;
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Peter 1:20&version=MOUNCE;NET;NASB;NIV;ISV

The point is προγινώσκω (proginōskō) is NOT rendered in English as you assert it is, UNLESS you are stuck on the KJV. Are you KJVO?
Stan, are you even looking at the sources you link to?

First of all, Mounce (both Bill and Robert), who you said the following about earlier,:
StanJ said:
I prefer Mounce and Moo given their pre-eminence in this field.
…translates προγινωσκω exactly as I assert, as “chosen in advance.”

Regarding the participle 1 Peter 1:20 you say:
StanJ said:
and that does NOT convey something different to you, or are you stuck on the KJV English?
Of course its different.

The question is, different how?

It’s a different form because it performs a different grammatical function in the sentence. But participles don’t take on different lexical meanings because they are participles.

Who put this peculiar idea into your head?

Where did you learn Greek?

Furthermore, Moo defines the Aorist, Active, Indicative of προγινωσκω in Romans 8:29 to have the exact same lexical meaning, namely "choose in advance" that Mounce Defines the perfect passive participial form of προγινωσκω in 1 Peter 1:20!

This proves that you are trying to make a distinction based on the form of a word that these two scholars are unwilling to make.

Are you willing to consider that they are right and you are wrong here?

Regarding my quotation of Robert Mounce’s Commentary in the NAC Series you say:

StanJ said:
Which Mounce is this?
Robert Mounce.

StanJ said:
I am surprised, as states;
But this would mean that in election God would not be sovereign;
This appears to be a predisposed view that SE is a fact, when he doesn't show it is. I would have to study this in much more depth to see.
Yes, well Robert Mounce sees something in the Greek text of Romans 8 that you don’t, sovereign election.

If you actually want to see how Robert Mounce treats the whole chapter in entirety you can go to pretty much any theologically conservative Seminary library and find Romans in the New American Commentary on the shelf.

StanJ said:
Moo doesn't seem to be convinced of what exactly is being said based on your excerpt, which I also find surprising given his being the head of that translation committee for the NIV.
This is just wishful thinking on your part.
Moo is crystal clear that, in his professional opinion, the notion that you are advancing regarding Romans 8:29 is wrong.

First, he defines προγινωσκω the way I do, as “choose” or “determine” beforehand over and above the way you have arguing to define it in this thread.
Second, he considers your precise interpretation unlikely (his words).
Third, he limits the application of the verb to Christians only whereas your interpretation requires you to apply it to everyone as your interpretation has God knowing what everyone will do and then choosing based on that knowledge.

You appear not to see the significance of the third point as you quote Moo saying:
StanJ said:
However he does say;
Moreover, it is only some individuals – those who, having been “foreknown,” were also “predestined,” “called,” “justified,” and “glorified” – who are the objects of this activity and this shows that the action applicable only to Christians must be denoted by the verb.
Exactly, which undermines your conclusion entirely.
If Paul is talking about some individuals and not all, then God isn’t (as you claim) foreknowing the decisions of all and then choosing the some who choose Him.

You questions the context of Moos words.

The context is his verse by verse commentary of Romans, the section I cited was specifically regarding verse 29. Again, the NICNT is available at most Seminary Libraries.