What is "Number"?

Truster

I read of a tribe that was living in the Americas. They had a number or word that represented one.There was another number or word that they used for anything more than one, but it wasn't a word they used very often. They were not in the habit of taking more than was sufficient for the day and usually one was enough and if it wasn't it was simply more than one. No number or word represented two.

SoundOfRain

number could be to mark for identification purposes, and can be implied through use of language (for instance, plural vs singular form) or can be literal symbols indicating count

Jedidiah

...number can be used for IDs. Each number, after all, is unique and has a well defined place in the infinite series of numbers.
I gathered from this: "I'm not referring simply to the symbols/numerals used to represent a number - but the concept behind the symbols," that you'd ruled out "number can be used for IDs," because while numbers/numerals can be used for IDs, they serve no distinct nor separate purpose than do letters or other symbols used for IDs.

Right? :e4e: