what is most wrong with the Republican party?

PureX

I've often thought of getting into politics and running a con job on all the special interest groups and rich people. Use their money to get elected and then start doing things for the people and not the ones who financed me. I'd love that, get that secret service detail and then tell all those chumps goodbye. The look on their faces would be priceless.

I honestly think Rand Paul is capable of doing that. I don't believe he is a Republican.
It's a nice theory, but there's no political position for a 'dictator'. Whatever office you managed to gain, you will be surrounded by the "checks and balances" of lots of other office-holders. And believe me, they will see to it that you do not upset the status quo, and that you do not get a second term if you try.

I also think that you would have a hard time getting the money to win even the first election without a proven track record of "playing ball" with the people who control the money. Our political system is so thoroughly corrupted by the need and desire for money, and subsequently rigged in favor of 'crony capitalism', that it's very difficult for anyone who actually wants to do the job they are being elected to do, to do it.

I know this first hand, as I was recently involved in an honest woman's run for office at the local level. And even there, it's nearly an impossible task. Money talks, and people listen to it. So long as that money has to come from "private contributors", the contributors run the show both before and after the election.

republicanchick

In the final moments, late at night, Congressional Republicans added two riders to the recent omnibus budget bill. One repealed many of the recent protections from Dodd-Frank as a gift to Wall Street lobbyists. And what does Congress get in return? Individual donor limits were raised from $194,400 to $1.5 million per each 2-year election cycle. In the old days they would have called it bribery, but nowadays it's only "free speech".

And yes, several Democrats voted to allow both riders too.

I don't see what is wrong with donating to the political party of your choice and I agree that interfering with that freedom (we should have) is against free speech

)

republicanchick

that is all you have to remember

so the only question is

what is wrong with those who vote for democrats?

their thinking is shallow, assuming we can call what they do "thinking" at all.

someone spouts off that the earth is in danger b/c of global warming caused by humans and people just believe that, without questioning

• who is saying it
  • what evidence (as in SCIENTIFIC evidence) there may be for or against
  • what the eyes clearly see: namely, that our winters are colder than ever with more precip than ever
  • (etc)

=

Caledvwlch

someone spouts off that the earth is in danger b/c of global warming caused by humans and people just believe that, without questioning

• who is saying it
  • what the eyes clearly see: namely, that our winters are colder than ever with more precip than ever
  • (etc)

=

I've seen the light! Can I change my voter registration on a Thursday in December?

:chuckle:

republicanchick

actually they want to think for us
since
we do not know what is good for us
or
they just want someone to take care of them

all of the above

Plus liberals just do not understand absolute moral truth. They think that if you want to do something (go to bed with someone of the same sex), that desire by itself means its "right"

There's some logic for you: as if you would never feel guilt after doing some given act. Or worse, you do feel guilt, but as soon as the guilt creeps in, chalk it up to a bad parent or some other un-related cause and chuck the guilt.

This is far easier said than done, of course, b/c some things really ARE

WrONG

But some think they can twist reality to suit their own agenda

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
There's some logic for you: as if you would never feel guilt after doing some given act. Or worse, you do feel guilt, but as soon as the guilt creeps in, chalk it up to a bad parent or some other un-related cause and chuck the guilt.

this is the real problem
must get rid of guilt
or
at least get rid of those who make you feel guilty

PureX

I don't see what is wrong with donating to the political party of your choice and I agree that interfering with that freedom (we should have) is against free speech
Money makes the "speech" of some more influential than the speech of others. And this biased speech is no longer a free and equal expression of ideas, which is the whole purpose of having laws protecting "free speech" in the first place.

And this effect is multiplied by the fact that this biased speech is going into the ears of our legislators, who make our laws. So that the people who are shaping the function of our society are not hearing the concerns of the poor and middle class. Or even of the upper middle class. They only hear the concerns of the wealthy, who have the money to pay them to listen. And to listen only to them.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I have heard a lot of criticism against the R party

what I don't like is that they often do not fight hard enough against really bad Dem ideas.

But they did all vote against Obamacare, so I sometimes wonder why they are overly criticized by those in their own party

Boehner is rather hard to figure out sometimes. Often he seems like a Republican, but sometimes like a RINO

I feel McCain is a rino and a few others. anyway, I am wondering what others think

:(
During the Revolution of 1800, the founders came up with a word called "factions." They applied it to any person or group that held their own self-interest above the interests of the nation.

The dynamics of the U.S. Congress today are self-evident. There are still factions around and they must be confronted and challenged.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What...

what are you talking about? "Death panels"?

Oh, I get it. You don't ever want to be taken seriously by other people.

Indeed ... perhaps the title of the OP is a misprint and was suppose to read "what isn't wrong with the Republican party?"

zoo22

• who is saying it
  • (etc)

=

Thank you! You ought to start submitting your work to scientific journals. Have you thought about that?

At the very least you should have a talk show. At the very, very least you should be a sidekick on a talk show.

[*]what the eyes clearly see: namely, that our winters are colder than ever with more precip than ever

Good point. How cold is colder than ever and will you explain more about precipitation as it relates to climate change? How does that work? Like, why would there be more precipitation? Thanks, you're awesome.

Also, why don't you list yourself as Catholic any more?