What is going on in Daniel 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beameup

It is impossible to squeeze the carpenter in (to Daniel's prophecy)

You say that the Messiah came 49 years after the proclamation-edict of Artaxerxes Longimanus to rebuild Jerusalem. That is recorded historically as 457 B.C.
So, your Messiah came in 408 B.C. Give us his name and what he accomplished.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
You say that the Messiah came 49 years after the proclamation-edict of Artaxerxes Longimanus to rebuild Jerusalem. That is recorded historically as 457 B.C.
So, your Messiah came in 408 B.C. Give us his name and what he accomplished.

Also where is he?

As Jews don't believe the death part, we should be able to know him now.

Elia

<Daniel 9:27>
“And He shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week He shall cause the sacrifice and oblation to cease...”
In other words, exactly three and one-half years after Jesus’ baptism, by sacrificing Himself half way through this “week,” He’d bring an end to the entire sacrificial system of the Jewish Old Testament!

Bs"d

Or so goes the Christological exegesis.

Now let's look at the real world. Did the carpenter cause the sacrifices to cease with his death? No. The Temple service and the sacrifices went on uninterrupted after he died.

Until the last week, which goes from 63 to 70. As I mentioned before, the prophecy ends with the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple, which happened in the year 70. Therefore the last week must be from 63 to 70. Did the sacrifices stop in the midst of that week?

This speaks about the Romans, who in reaction to the Jewish revolt in 66 laid a siege around Jerusalem which made it impossible for the Jews to bring in sheep and bulls into the city for the sacrificial service. The siege made it impossible to bring in sheep and bulls into the city, so that caused an interruption of the animal sacrifices.

There we have it. Fits like a glove. No need to change the meaning of the text.

Count it out with me. Use your fingers. From the fall of A.D. 27 to 28, 29, 30. Then 1/2 a year: fall, winter, to Spring of A.D. 31! When is Easter? In Spring!
Prophecy was fulfilled exactly! History tells us it was Passover in 31 A.D. exactly 3 1/2 years after His baptism. In the middle of this prophetic week, Jesus died as the perfect Lamb of God. He the true sacrifice offered on Calvary was, “cut off.” Killed. Hung upon a cross, scripture tells us, on the fourteenth day of the first Jewish month. (Equivalent to our Easter time).
You remember what happened that day?

So if he died in 31, than the last week ends in 34. But the destruction of Jerusalem en the Temple is included in the prophecy, and that came then 35 years = 5 weeks after the last week of the prophecy. So that cannot be.

It is obvious that the Christian explanation is wrong.

The Jews are useless as a nation. They are obstructing the Plan of Salvation.
That’s why shortly after A.D. 34 the Jewish nation and Jerusalem was totally sacked, destroyed and leveled by the Roman armies in 70 A.D. Just like Daniel 9:26 foretold. Just like Jesus foretold in Matthew 8:12

Jerusalem and the Temple have been destroyed before. The first Temple was destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar. Not because the Jews were "obstructing a plan of salvation", but simply because of the sins of the Jews.

For the same reason was the second Temple destroyed.

In short: The prophecy ended in 70 with the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple.

The animal sacrifices ended in 66, the middle of the last week. It fits like a glove.

The only one who doesn't fit is that carpenter. His death was five weeks too early.

Besides that, that carpenter was not a messiah. He was never anointed by a priest and/or prophet to be a king, he was not a high priest who were also anointed, he just was not a messiah = anointed one.

No matter which way you turn it, he doesn't fit.

"O Y-H-W-H, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come to You from the ends of the earth and say, 'Surely our fathers have inherited lies, worthlessness and unprofitable things.' Will a man make gods for himself, which are not gods?"
Jeremiah 16:19

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Because you don't know Hebrew? Yet more folly?
Yeshua (ישוע, with vowel pointing יֵשׁוּעַ – yēšūă‘ in Hebrew)

I don't read Hebrew, I read English and I don't find the Canaanite name in any of the English versions I have read.

You do realize Hebrew is a Canaanite language, don't you?

Canaanite languages, group of Northern Central or Northwestern Semitic languages including Hebrew, Moabite, Phoenician, and Punic. They were spoken in ancient times in Palestine, on the coast of Syria, and in scattered colonies elsewhere around the Mediterranean. An early form of Canaanite is attested in the Tell el-Amarna letters (c. 1400 bc). Moabite, which is very close to Hebrew, is known chiefly from one inscription dating from the 8th century bc. The only living Canaanite language is Hebrew, which was revived as a spoken language in the 19th and 20th centuries. See also Hebrew language; Phoenician language. (Britannica.com)​

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
History tells us the decree of King Artaxerxes to rebuild Jerusalem was issued in the year 457 B.C.

In the seventh year of Artaxerxes I. (458 B.C.) the Babylonian Jews requested that permission should be given to the priest Ezra to visit Palestine, with full power over the Jews there, and to enforce the book of the Law as the will of the king. How the king acceded to this request, and how Ezra endeavored to carry out his mission, are well known. (jewishencyclopedia.com)​

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I think you're a little too wrapped up in the Jewish perspective and bitterness

Why else would a practicing Jew be on a predominantly conservative Christian site :rolleyes:

It goes without saying, really. Why anyone would want to be on a forum where they are entirely at odds with everyone is beyond me. There's 'not being popular', and then there's just being a bird in a cat den :chuckle:

beameup

Also where is he?

As Jews don't believe the death part, we should be able to know him now.

Elia blurted out that the Messiah came 49 years after the proclamation-edict of Artaxerxes Longimanus to rebuild Jerusalem. That rebuilding began and is recorded historically as 457 B.C. So, according to her, her Messiah came in 408 B.C.
She needs to give us his name and what he accomplished.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Elia blurted out that the Messiah came 49 years after the proclamation-edict of Artaxerxes Longimanus to rebuild Jerusalem. That rebuilding began and is recorded historically as 457 B.C. So, according to her, her Messiah came in 408 B.C.

I saw the 49 year comment.

If it's true, and since Jews don't believe Messiah dies,where is he?

Flaminggg

BANNED
Banned
Jerusalem-Coin-1.jpg

The Image Shows a "Cross of Crucifixion, Stuck into a Lamb, in center" (Thats how they understood the 70 Year Divisions)
1. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/08/31/israeli-archaeologists-find-mystery-structure-that-may-have-been-built-shortly-after-jesus-last-days-in-jerusalem/
2. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/12/27/archaeologists-find-impressive-ancient-statue-that-could-symbolize-jesus-or-the-flock-of-the-good-shepherd/

430 Years = 62nd Week ... 490 years = 69th, and/or 69th to 70th Week

GALATIANS 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree:
GALATIANS 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
GALATIANS 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
GALATIANS 3:17 And this I say, [that] the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

1. 430 Years, is the 62nd Week in which Christ was Crucified, paralleling the Hebrew's Duration in Egypt.
2. 490 Years, is "Three Days in Which Jesus was in the Tomb", is the 69th Week
3. 490 Years, is "150 Days of Star Wormwood", is the 70th Week (This was not acted out with Jesus, 69th to 70th Week Duration of 153 Days of Revelation, not directly enough)
MARK 12:26 And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I [am] the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?
MARK 12:27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

Abraham lived 5 Years Shorter than Issac
Issac lived 33/34 Years Longer than Jacob
http://2bornot2b44.blogspot.com/2008/05/ages-of-patriarchs-abraham-isaac-jacob.html
Jacob lived to 147 Years (Acts 13:18-20), 303 Years Difference from 450 (Jacob like Moses, came out of the Wilderness, to "err" after Joseph the Blessing)

1. 34 Years or 62nd Week (12210 + 195)
2. 3 Days of Darkness Observance at the 69th Week
3. 150 Day/5 Month Observance at the 70th Week

(12210 Days + 42 Days (than) + 3 Days + 150 Days = 34 Years)

But the prophecy isn’t ended. Three and one-half more years were measured off ending in 34 A.D. Three and one-half more years for the Jewish nation to straighten out, to accept Jesus and the message of the Disciples. But the Jews never did. The disciples tried to win them. But the Jewish nation officially rejected their message. Finally when they stoned Stephen to death in A.D. 34 they sealed their doom. Their rejection of the gospel. Stephen became the first martyr of the Christian church, and the prophetic clock struck again! Right on time. 490 years. The Jews had broken the camel’s back. The last straw. Persecuting Messiah’s church! So God sent word because they rejected Him as a nation, He finally had to reject them. And the disciples, under intense persecution, were scattered and...
<Acts 8:4>
“...went everywhere preaching the word.”
This speaks about the Romans, who in reaction to the Jewish revolt in 66 laid a siege around Jerusalem which made it impossible for the Jews to bring in sheep and bulls into the city for the sacrificial service. The siege made it impossible to bring in sheep and bulls into the city, so that caused an interruption of the animal sacrifices.

34 B.C. Stephen is Euthanized for rejecting Jesus the Messiah and the Saints as a representative of Joseph, by claiming that he was in heaven and not before the Jewish People. Plus about 33 more Years, the City of Jerusalem is destroyed for claiming that Jesus has anointed it by his Crucifixion. We've just paralleled a duration of 430 years or 34 Years for the 62nd Week of Daniel + 3 Days of Darkness or about 33 years for the 69th Week of Daniel 9. (the 69th Week of Daniel 9 to the 70th Week of Daniel 9 represents the end of the day cycle or the old covenant, so that could not have happened, just like that could not have happened in Jesus's day).

(Abraham lived to 175 years, Jacob to 147, Mark 12:26-27, so this is just another parallel) In reality: the duration of the 69th Week to the 70th Week can be expressed over a Jubilee or 50 Years (if use a Lunar Cycle of 28.5 x 69) we go from 1967 to 2016 (to 2016 not 2017 for the 70th Week when the Day Cycle Changes from the Sun to the Earth's Moon for 150/153 Days in Length)...........(Following this equation, the 62nd Week of Daniel is about 5 Jubilee's difference in years from the 69th Week ... then 50 years or 1 Jubilee ... than 5 Months of Revelation) Love and Blessings. (the level of force was good last night after dark, next week you need to be ready, we have said God has only identified the "Three Days of Darkness" as significant with Daniel's 70 weeks, then we have a legal right to shutdown 6/6/2016 to 6/18/2016 in favor of 6/18/2016 to 6/21/2016, we'll have a 10 hour walk tomorrow, maybe euthanize a few brownies based on the level force).

Last edited:

beameup

I don't read Hebrew, I read English and I don't find the Canaanite name in any of the English versions I have read.

You do realize Hebrew is a Canaanite language, don't you?

Canaanite languages, group of Northern Central or Northwestern Semitic languages including Hebrew, Moabite, Phoenician, and Punic. They were spoken in ancient times in Palestine, on the coast of Syria, and in scattered colonies elsewhere around the Mediterranean. An early form of Canaanite is attested in the Tell el-Amarna letters (c. 1400 bc). Moabite, which is very close to Hebrew, is known chiefly from one inscription dating from the 8th century bc. The only living Canaanite language is Hebrew, which was revived as a spoken language in the 19th and 20th centuries. See also Hebrew language; Phoenician language. (Britannica.com)​

More nonsense?
Canaan was later called Syria by the Greeks and renamed Palestine by the Romans. It's a GEOGRAPHICAL location. The Hebrews originated in Ur of the Chaldees and migrated along the Fertile Crescent before ending up in Egypt (where they later became slaves). The seafaring Phoenician's alphabet formed the basis of not only the Hebrew script, but the Greek script. Abraham spoke the language of where he was from - Chaldean, a Semitic language: see Aramaic.

PS: Chaldea is also known as Shinar, Babylon, Mesopotamia (present day Iran/Iraq). It is also called the "cradle of civilization".

Proverbs 9:13 A foolish woman is clamorous: she is simple, and knoweth nothing.

Last edited:

keypurr

Lots of detail and commentary.
I'd just like to interject a couple of comments:
Every major aspect of Jesus' appearing and ministry coincided precisely with God's "Feasts". There are 7 major Feasts observed and these are called "divine appointments" and "holy convocations" (rehearsals). For example, a concise study of the 3 Spring Feasts shows a correlation with the Death-Burial-Resurrection as reflected in the sequential feasts of Passover-Unleavened Bread-Firstfruits.

Now, my question to you to ponder is: What "Feast" is associated with the Coronation of a King?

Also, a "footnote": the entrance into the Priesthood required a "ritual washing" (baptism). In Exodus 19:5-6 it states that every male in Israel is to be a "priest". Many would say that that is what John's ministry was "all about".
[there is clear evidence of this practice in the Essene community who left us the Dead Sea Scrolls]
You did read where it is another theory, right?

I did not write it, I found it in my collection of notes.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using TheologyOnline mobile app

keypurr

Bs"d

That part about God saying "I’m through with them! Finis. Over. Kaput.” I don't see in my Bible. Did you make that up yourself?

It doesn't say "command" in the original text, is says "word".

That it only says in corrupted Christian translations. See here what the original 1611 KJV says about that: "Know therefore and vnderstand, that from the going foorth of the commandement to restore and to build Ierusalem, vnto the Messiah the Prince, shall be seuen weekes; and threescore and two weekes, the street shall be built againe, and the wall, euen in troublous times."

The Revised Standard Version says: "from the going forth of the word to restore and built Jerusalem to the coming of an anointed one, a prince, there shall be seven weeks. Then for sixty-two weeks it shall be built again, with squares and moat, …." The RSV has it right. Just like the RSV is correct in Isaiah 7:14; 'young woman' instead of 'virgin'.

The King James in itself gives an reasonable literal translation of these verses as far as the time frames are concerned, except for the colon, the two dots on top of each other, right after the words 'three score and two weeks:' This colon is not to be found in the original text of Daniel. Read now the KJV text without this colon: "Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to built Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks the street shall be built again and the wall, even in troublous times." Here you see that without that colon inserted by the translators the KJV says basically the same as the RSV. Now you might understand why there is a big "King James only" movement. When you read the Bible in an accurate translation, Christianity already starts to fall apart.

The sad part of the story is that the original 1611 King James gave this verse in the right way, with the colon in the right place, as you can see HERE. Around 1800 the place of the colon is changed, and in a footnote they mentioned that that was done so that JC would fit in better. They openly admitted changing the translation to fit their Christian theology.

And also "The Message" translates this correct: "Here is what you must understand: From the time the word goes out to rebuild Jerusalem until the coming of the Anointed Leader, there will be seven sevens. The rebuilding will take sixty-two sevens, including building streets and digging a moat. Those will be rough times."

And also the English Standard Version translates this correct: "Know therefore and understand that from the going out of the word to restore and build Jerusalem to the coming of an anointed one, a prince, there shall be seven weeks. Then for sixty-two weeks it shall be built again with squares and moat, but in a troubled time."

Not "when a decree is made", but "when the word goes out to rebuild Jerusalem."

Artaxerxes didn't do any work, the Jews build the Temple.

Another mistranslation is: "And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself:" It doesn't say: "but not for himself", it says: "he will have nothing". But "not for himself" fits so nice with the Christian theology; JC dying for the whole world, not for himself. The only problem is: It isn't written there.

What it says is: "A messiah will be cut off, and he will have nothing".

Here are some translations who manage to translate that in the right way:

American Standard Version: "And after the threescore and two weeks shall the anointed one be cut off, and shall have nothing:"

Common English Bible: "after the sixty-two weeks, an anointed one will be eliminated. No one will support him.[a] The army of a future leader will destroy the city and the sanctuary. His end will come in a flood, but devastations will be decreed until the end of the war.[c]"

Footnotes:

Daniel 9:26 Or and will have nothing or and will disappear; Heb uncertain"

Contemporary English Version: "At the end of the sixty-two weeks,[a] the Chosen Leader will be killed and left with nothing."

Darby Translation: "And after the sixty-two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, and shall have nothing;"

English Standard Version: "And after the sixty-two weeks, an anointed one shall be cut off and shall have nothing."

Holman Christian Standard Bible: "After those 62 weeks[a] the Messiah will be cut off and will have nothing."

Lexham English Bible: "And after the sixty and two weeks an anointed one[a] shall be cut off, and he shall have nothing, and the people of the coming leader will destroy the city and the sanctuary,[c] and its end will be with the flood and on to the end there shall be war; these desolations are determined."
Footnotes:

A Daniel 9:26 Or “messiah”
B Daniel 9:26 Literally “there is not for him”

New American Standard Bible: "Then after the sixty-two weeks the [a]Messiah will be cut off and have nothing,"

New Century Version: "After the four hundred thirty-four years the appointed leader will be killed; he will have nothing."

New English Translation: "Now after the sixty-two weeks, an anointed one will be cut off and have nothing."

New World Translation: "And after the 62 weeks, Messiah will be cut off, with nothing for himself."

As you can see, the vast majority of translations translate this correct. You can check them here: http://legacy.biblegateway.com/

You can check the Hebrew here: http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm

So stop hanging on to ancient corrupted translations.

I have no time now for the rest, hopefully later.

It hurts when you kick a big rock friend.

Certainly the ideas in the note is worthy for consideration.

And I have over thirty translations to consider in my studies.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using TheologyOnline mobile app

beameup

Bs"d

Or so goes the Christological exegesis.

Now let's look at the real world. Did the carpenter cause the sacrifices to cease with his death? No. The Temple service and the sacrifices went on uninterrupted after he died.
Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall [under Nehemiah], even in troublous times. And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off [lit. executed], but not for himself:
[the first two edicts/proclamations only dealt with rebuilding the Temple, not establishing a City-State with walls and gates.]

New Subject: and the people [Romans] of "the prince that shall come"(in the future, ie:false Messiah) shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. And he [false Messiah] shall confirm the covenant [with Israel] with the many for one week [7 years]: and in the midst of the week [3 1/2 years] he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate [abomination of desolation], even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

So, the "prince" that shall come is a Roman (a Jewish Roman no doubt). He will have supernatural powers and will deceive Israel into believing he is the Messiah.

Pretty straightforward eschatology of Evangelicals.

Elia

Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks:

Bs"d

Wrong:

The Hebrew text says: "from the outgoing of the word restore and to built Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and sixty-two weeks shall the street be built again and the wall, even in troubled times." The 7 weeks and the 62 weeks are not connected in the text. It makes no sense to connect them, because when the Bible wants to give a time period of 69 weeks, why should it write then 7 weeks and 62 weeks, instead of 69 weeks? Therefore the Revised Standard Version says: "from the going forth of the word to restore and built Jerusalem to the coming of an anointed one, a prince, there shall be seven weeks. Then for sixty-two weeks it shall be built again, with squares and moat, …." The RSV has it right. Just like the RSV is correct in Isaiah 7:14; 'young woman' instead of 'virgin'.

The King James in itself gives an reasonable literal translation of these verses as far as the time frames are concerned, except for the colon, the two dots on top of each other, right after the words 'three score and two weeks:' This colon is not to be found in the original text of Daniel. Read now the KJV text without this colon: "Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to built Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks the street shall be built again and the wall, even in troublous times." Here you see that without that colon inserted by the translators the KJV says basically the same as the RSV. Now you might understand why there is a big "King James only" movement. When you read the Bible in an accurate translation, Christianity already starts to fall apart.

The sad part of the story is that the original 1611 King James gave this verse in the right way, with the colon in the right place, as you can see HERE. Around 1800 the place of the colon is changed, and in a footnote they mentioned that that was done so that JC would fit in better. They openly admitted changing the translation to fit their Christian theology.

And also "The Message" translates this correct: "Here is what you must understand: From the time the word goes out to rebuild Jerusalem until the coming of the Anointed Leader, there will be seven sevens. The rebuilding will take sixty-two sevens, including building streets and digging a moat. Those will be rough times."

And also the English Standard Version translates this correct: "Know therefore and understand that from the going out of the word to restore and build Jerusalem to the coming of an anointed one, a prince, there shall be seven weeks. Then for sixty-two weeks it shall be built again with squares and moat, but in a troubled time."

To be continued HERE

Elia

It hurts when you kick a big rock friend.

Certainly the ideas in the note is worthy for consideration.

And I have over thirty translations to consider in my studies.

Bs"d

Why bother with 30 translations when you can look in the original text?

beameup

Bs"d

Wrong:

The Hebrew text says: "from the outgoing of the word restore and to built Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and sixty-two weeks shall the street be built again and the wall, even in troubled times." The 7 weeks and the 62 weeks are not connected in the text. It makes no sense to connect them, because when the Bible wants to give a time period of 69 weeks, why should it write then 7 weeks and 62 weeks, instead of 69 weeks? Therefore the Revised Standard Version says: "from the going forth of the word to restore and built Jerusalem to the coming of an anointed one, a prince, there shall be seven weeks. Then for sixty-two weeks it shall be built again, with squares and moat, …." The RSV has it right. Just like the RSV is correct in Isaiah 7:14; 'young woman' instead of 'virgin'.

To be continued HERE

Why bother with 30 translations when you can look in the original text?

The Jehovah's Witness' pick-and-choose any and all "translations" that backup their heretical "doctrine" and you are doing exactly the same thing. Pulling-the-wool over the eyes of the goy? It's you that has had the "wool" pulled over your eyes by the "rabbis". Brainwashing seems to be a commonality between you and JW's.

Status
Not open for further replies.