What IS an "immaterial spirit"?

Rosenritter

On what material things would you say depends the truth that all triangles have three sides? And, how does the truth that all triangles have three sides depend on material things?

You stated that immaterial things "require material components". Would you say that the truth that all triangles have three sides "requires material components"? If so, for what does that truth "require material components"?

You had written, "You can't think if your brain is removed", and I asked you a question, which you have not answered, and you wrote this, instead:

I'll try asking the question, again:

You can't think if your brain is removed from what?

From personal experience, I know you cannot think if your brain is removed from sufficient supply of oxygen and/or sugar.

glorydaz

You can hit as many people with hammers in the brains as you like, and you aren't going to destroy a word. You will only prevent certain individuals from being able to comprehend any words at all.

And what does this have to do with the spiritual realm? Participating in this thread is supposed to give you some credence?

Dartman

On what material things would you say depends the truth that all triangles have three sides?
Ears to hear this truth. A brain to process and retain the information. Etc.
7djengo7 said:
And, how does the truth that all triangles have three sides depend on material things?
Show me an immaterial triangle.

7djengo7 said:
... You can't think if your brain is removed from what?
Your skull.

Dartman

You can hit as many people with hammers in the brains as you like, and you aren't going to destroy a word. You will only prevent certain individuals from being able to comprehend any words at all.
What happens to their "spirit", when ANYTHING causes them to stop thinking?

ttruscott

Don't take it personally: there's more evidence to support that God was guiding Tyndale and those that continued his work than that he has given special revelation to any particular person here who suggests that we should add and delete words to create different meaning.

The words I suggest have been added as a gloss are all highly accepted by most translators as a gloss. I find the lack of the old system to point these words out for our discernment to be suspicious...since it makes the bible a theological statement, not the word of the Spirit. And I have offered or suggested no extra meaning to any word that is not already within the accepted meaning of the word and so used in other places in scripture.

Ask how the Pharisees, the most dedicated t their religion, missed the whole point of their religion, the divine Messiah who would die for the sins of His people.

Rosenritter

Your skull.

1. Triangles don't depend on brains and ears, any more than a falling tree depends on someone to hear it at the time for it to actually happen.

2. An immaterial triangle would be composed of three lines connecting three points. Points have no mass, they are theoretical. Lines are likewise theoretical, being an infinite array of points between two points. It's a mathematical concept rather than an actual material thing, just like "2 + 2 = 4" is an immaterial concept that exists regardless of whether it is demonstrated through manipulation of objects.

3. Although removing the brain from the skull might be unhealthy, that doesn't necessarily stop the ability to think. Some people have pieces of their skull missing and they still think. It's just a danger that they will get struck by something and suffer brain damage, but the brain can still operate without the protective shell.

Dartman

1. Triangles don't depend on brains and ears, any more than a falling tree depends on someone to hear it at the time for it to actually happen.

2. An immaterial triangle would be composed of three lines connecting three points. Points have no mass, they are theoretical. Lines are likewise theoretical, being an infinite array of points between two points. It's a mathematical concept rather than an actual material thing, just like "2 + 2 = 4" is an immaterial concept that exists regardless of whether it is demonstrated through manipulation of objects.
Your theory is blindly refusing to accept the necessity of mater for our mind. You wouldn't understand the theoretical concept without a brain.

Rosenritter said:
3. Although removing the brain from the skull might be unhealthy, that doesn't necessarily stop the ability to think. Some people have pieces of their skull missing and they still think.
You are distorting my question. I didn't say anything about a missing skull, I was asked this question about a missing brain.

Rosenritter

Only according to pagan superstition, as Jesus pointed out in Luke 24.
According to Scripture "immaterial" is never stated, explained or preached.

I don't see Jesus identifying that as a pagan superstition or using words to that effect. Nor should the word "immaterial" need to be appended to "spirit" any more than "material" needs to be appended to "rock" or "bone" or "steel."

Do you see the phrase "material steel" anywhere in the Bible? Should we take that as proof that steel is immaterial?

Rosenritter

Your theory is blindly refusing to accept the necessity of mater for our mind. You wouldn't understand the theoretical concept without a brain.

No, it's not. You asked about whether triangles were immaterial. They are. When you arrange matter in the shape of a triangle, you are mimicking the concept of triangle. Brains have nothing to do with this.

You are distorting my question. I didn't say anything about a missing skull, I was asked this question about a missing brain.

You literally said that you cannot think if your brain is removed from your skull. A brain could also theoretically live in a test tube. You can still think with amputated arms, and amputated legs, you can still think if your spinal cord is severed, you can think with parts or all of the skull removed. Since you are wanting to talk about specific physical parts of our body and their function, you best be accurate.

Dartman

No, it's not. You asked about whether triangles were immaterial. They are. When you arrange matter in the shape of a triangle, you are mimicking the concept of triangle. Brains have nothing to do with this.
I didn't say the "concept" of a triangle is material. And, this is definitely a distraction from the real point. God's Creation demonstrates that you need a brain to comprehend concepts. God Creation has concrete proof of BILLIONS UPON BILLIONS of examples of material life forms ...... and ZERO "immaterial life forms".

The Scriptures, more importantly, do not contain ANY descriptions of spirits, while the "spirits" mentioned are always visible when in proximity to humans ..... UNLESS the humans have their sight "held", so that they can't see, or can't recognize the being.

Rosenritter said:
You literally said that you cannot think if your brain is removed from your skull.
Yes I did, which is different than your misunderstanding.

Rosenritter said:
A brain could also theoretically live in a test tube.
Hogwash.

I suppose it is theoretically possible for a brain to live and think in a highly complex mechanism that could provide oxygen, and nutrients, and all of the chemicals utilized by the brain.... but 1) That is FAR from "a test tube" .... and it couldn't communicate without the 5 senses, plus a system for producing words.

You are merely struggling to overcome the obvious.
There are ZERO "immaterial beings" in God's Creation.
There are ZERO verses instructing us to believe in "immaterial beings".
There are ZERO explanations of "immaterial beings", other than correcting the pagan superstitions of men.
There are MANY Scriptures that discuss God, as a tangible, visible being, that we were Created to look like.
There are MANY Scriptures that discuss angels as indistinguishable from men.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
I asked you,

"On what material things would you say depends the truth that all triangles have three sides?"

And, you wrote:

Here, you have just claimed that the existence of triangles depends upon the existence of brains.

What (if anything) do you think you mean by "show me"? If you are saying, "Cause my eyes to see what cannot be seen with eyes", why, we have just one more example of just how dedicated you are to irrationality.

You said, "You can't think if your brain is removed."
I asked, "You can't think if your brain is removed FROM WHAT?"
Your response:

Your skull.

Oh. OK. So, which is YOU, the skull, or the brain?

Dartman

Oh. OK. So, which is YOU, the skull, or the brain?
Excellent question, the skull is a nice way to keep your hair out of your brain, and a great helmet ...... but it isn't your identity.
The brain is.
If you suffer from trauma, or the wrong chemicals, or malnourishment, or a parasite, or a virus , etc, your spirit/mind can be forever altered.

Aimiel

What do you mean (spurious Scripture has been re-interpreted by scribes)?
The Dead Sea Scrolls proved that we have the exact Scriptures, word-for-word, every letter exactly as was passed down through the ages, for the books therein. Dispelled your notion of scribes changing what the prophets wrote.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Excellent question, the skull is a nice way to keep your hair out of your brain, and a great helmet ...... but it isn't your identity.
The brain is.
If you suffer from trauma, or the wrong chemicals, or malnourishment, or a parasite, or a virus , etc, your spirit/mind can be forever altered.

Are you saying that a brain is a spirit?
Are you saying that a brain is a mind?