What is a Work of the Law?

Robert Pate

Banned
A work of the law is any religious thing that we do.

The law covers every aspect of ones life. From the time that one gets out of the bed in the morning, until one goes to bed at night they are under the law. The law demands perfect obedience to every commandment in the Bible. If you fail in one part of the law, you have failed the whole thing, James 2:10.

"Now we know that whatever the law says, it is saying to them that are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may become guilty before God" Romans 3:19.

The whole world is guilty before God because... "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10.

All stand before God's Holy Court of law as guilty.

Only those that are "In Christ" are free from the condemnation of the law. "There is no condemnation to them that which are in Jesus Christ, who walk after the Spirit and not the flesh" Romans 8:1.

If you are trying to be saved by pleaseing God or by keeping the law, you are under the law. Christians live their lives before God as sinners, saved sinners. We are always repenting, we are always trying to do better, but we know that we are failing to live up to the demands of the law.

The law demands that we be like Christ, sinless. Paul said to the Galatians who thought that they could please God by keeping the law, "Did you receive the Spirit by the WORKS OF THE LAW or by the hearing of faith? (hearing and believing the Gospel)" Galatians 3:2.

If the Spirit comes by the works of the law then who needs Christ and his Gospel? The Galatians were trying to get around Christ and his Gospel and be justified by the law.

Paul finally says to them, "Tell me, you that desire to be under the law, DO YOU NOT HEAR THE LAW?" Galatians 4:21.

Paul was trying to tell the Galatians that the law would condemn them to hell.

Robert Pate

Banned
Curious that you have to quote the Christian New Testament to make this point. No source for it in the "Law" itself?

As far as I am concerned the New Testament is the authority.

What do you want, the law to say that it has been abolished?

Hebrews says that the law is ready to vanish, Hebrews 8:13.

As far as I am concerned the New Testament is the authority.

What do you want, the law to say that it has been abolished?

Second that as to the New Testament. You wouldn't go to a horse and buggy manual, for the latest on vehicle engines. I've always seen works of the law as a person working to impress God by keeping a checklist, establish their own righteousness, as opposed to a person being righteous, which can coincide with the moral law, a chunk of which is codified in the Old Testament. In other words, there's a difference between a person who won't steal, because it's on a no-no list, and one who won't steal, simply because it's not right, isn't of a right conscience. A person of the Holy Spirit, walking in the light of love, in fact, shouldn't need any list. I get the picture of a law abiding Pharisee when I think of works of the law, who may actually have a heart as black as Satan and be spiritually as dead and Godless as a rock, though they strain at a gnat, in the name of law. The same is true of your legalistic "Christian" cults, which also suffer a false pretense of being more righteous than others.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
A work of the law is any religious thing that we do.

In the context of the NT, the law God gave to Israel is totally, completely, absolutely immaterial.

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law. (Romans 2:12 NKJV)​

What does religious mean?

Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. (Acts 13:43 KJV)​

Religious means to revere, to adore.

Paul and Barnabas wanted the religious ones to continue in the grace of God.

Robert Pate

Banned
In the context of the NT, the law God gave to Israel is totally, completely, absolutely immaterial.

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law. (Romans 2:12 NKJV)​

What does religious mean?

Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. (Acts 13:43 KJV)​

Religious means to revere, to adore.

Paul and Barnabas wanted the religious ones to continue in the grace of God.

To continue in the grace of God is to continue in the Gospel, not the law.

In the Gospel we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. God now sees us as perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10.

Robert Pate

Banned
Second that as to the New Testament. You wouldn't go to a horse and buggy manual, for the latest on vehicle engines. I've always seen works of the law as a person working to impress God by keeping a checklist, establish their own righteousness, as opposed to a person being righteous, which can coincide with the moral law, a chunk of which is codified in the Old Testament. In other words, there's a difference between a person who won't steal, because it's on a no-no list, and one who won't steal, simply because it's not right, isn't of a right conscience. A person of the Holy Spirit, walking in the light of love, in fact, shouldn't need any list. I get the picture of a law abiding Pharisee when I think of works of the law, who may actually have a heart as black as Satan and be spiritually as dead and Godless as a rock, though they strain at a gnat, in the name of law. The same is true of your legalistic "Christian" cults, which also suffer a false pretense of being more righteous than others.

Right. A cult can be identified by their claim to have inside information that no one else has.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
A work of the law. People differ on what this means.

Here are some diagnostic questions.

1) Do we as Christians live by the Spirit of God or by the Law or both?

2) Is it ever right to tell someone about a command of God found in the Law?

3) In the Old Testament, was anyone saved by the Law?

4) Before Jesus did anyone have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them?

5) Since salvation is by (grace through) faith and salvation came in Jesus Christ, are Old Testament saints saved by their faith?

We are not saved by the works of the Law. Are the works of the Law works done in faith by saved people or are they simply works that do not save? No works will save anyone.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
To continue in the grace of God is to continue in the Gospel, not the law.

Law? We just covered the fact that in the context of the NT the law is immaterial. However, Paul did encourage those who were religious to continue in the grace of God. You are saying just the opposite of Paul.

Why?

Robert Pate

Banned
A work of the law. People differ on what this means.

Here are some diagnostic questions.

1) Do we as Christians live by the Spirit of God or by the Law or both?

2) Is it ever right to tell someone about a command of God found in the Law?

3) In the Old Testament, was anyone saved by the Law?

4) Before Jesus did anyone have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them?

5) Since salvation is by (grace through) faith and salvation came in Jesus Christ, are Old Testament saints saved by their faith?

We are not saved by the works of the Law. Are the works of the Law works done in faith by saved people or are they simply works that do not save? No works will save anyone.

1. Christians live by Spirit and not the letter of the law, 2 Corinthians 3:6.

2. Only sinners need the law, 1 Timothy 1:9, 10.

3. There is no salvation in the law, Romans 3:20.

4. Yes, All of the prophets had the Holy Spirit, Psalm 139:7.

5. Yes, Abraham was justified by faith, Romans 4:3.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
1. Christians live by Spirit and not the letter of the law, 2 Corinthians 3:6.
If not the spirit of the law then the spirit of the law is not spoken of in scripture and then yes.
2. Only sinners need the law, 1 Timothy 1:9, 10.
Sinners are convicted and guilty by the law. Is anyone supposed to obey the Law?
3. There is no salvation in the law, Romans 3:20.
True, because justification here relates to salvation.
4. Yes, All of the prophets had the Holy Spirit, Psalm 139:7.
Do you have a verse that says a prophet had the Holy Spirit dwelling in him?
5. Yes, Abraham was justified by faith, Romans 4:3.
Abraham had God's righteousness in believing God.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Which verse are you referencing? Does it speak of the Holy Spirit dwelling in Him?

For he (John) will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. (Luke 1:15 NKJV)​

Even Moses had the Holy Spirit.

Then he remembered the days of old, Moses and his people saying: "Where is He who brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of His flock? Where is He who put His Holy Spirit within them?" (Isaiah 63:11 NKJV)​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
For he (John) will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. (Luke 1:15 NKJV)​

Even Moses had the Holy Spirit.

Then he remembered the days of old, Moses and his people saying: "Where is He who brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of His flock? Where is He who put His Holy Spirit within them?" (Isaiah 63:11 NKJV)​
I believe you are saying that for the Holy Spirit to dwell in someone is the same as for the Holy Spirit to fill someone.

genuineoriginal

Hebrews does not say the law is ready to vanish, it specifically mentions the new covenant makes the first covenant old.

Hebrews 8:13
13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.​

This is what the new covenant says about the law:

Hebrews 10:16
16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;​

If you are in the new covenant, God put His laws into your heart and wrote them in your mind.

Can you explain why you are rejecting what God did?

Robert Pate

Banned
Hebrews does not say the law is ready to vanish, it specifically mentions the new covenant makes the first covenant old.

Hebrews 8:13
13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.​

This is what the new covenant says about the law:

Hebrews 10:16
16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;​

If you are in the new covenant, God put His laws into your heart and wrote them in your mind.

Can you explain why you are rejecting what God did?

The law has been replaced by the Holy Spirit, The law that is written on our heart is the Holy Spirit. It is the very Spirit of Christ.

The New Covenant is not another law. It is Jesus Christ himself.

The old written law has been abolished, Colossians 2:14. God never intended for his people to live according to laws and rules. "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17.