ECT What is a New Testament Christian?

DAN P

That is true.

It requires that one has received a personal invitation from Him and that one has done what He has said to do in order to enter His covenant.

So many are only presumers today, with no actual experience in the Love of God.

LA

Hi , and where are part of a Covenant ??

Do you have a verse ??

dan p

nikolai_42

The type of Christian experience in the New Testament is that of personal, passionate devotion to the Person of Jesus Christ.

Right or wrong?

Inasmuch as I don't believe that the "Person" of the Savior and the "name" of the Savior are the same thing (in this context), I would disagree.

Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.
Acts 21:13

Passion is a fickle thing - and so I also wouldn't say one's experience should be measured in the amount of feeling evident on a daily basis. I know for certain that the faith which defines the one in Christ is one that defies natural tendencies and characteristics - it goes beyond the typical human understanding of love and compassion. The believer's pursuit is one of growth in spiritual knowledge - not "book learning" but knowledge of Christ which saves (John 17:3). I see Paul's detailing of his life's trajectory as exemplary here :

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Philippians 3:8-15

One may well say that this describes someone passionate for the Person of Christ, but just putting the phrase out there without defining it is problematic since it allows for a very shallow interpretation. I've known plenty of Pentecostals who have said (and acted) like they are "on fire for Jesus" (a very close definition of being zealous for the person...) but whose very lives cast serious doubt on that declaration. It is no wonder that some have "zeal without knowledge". It is all too easy for one to fool one's self that they are pursuing Jesus when they are actually substituting things, activities and emotions for the real thing. It is then that Shakespeare's words ring true....Life's but a walking shadow...

Interplanner

The essential thing is to believe that our debt of sin has been taken away in Christ. This keeps the vital attention on Christ not our transformation, and keeps things from getting confusing as we 'compare ourselves with ourselves' (2 Cor 1).

Bradley D

OK. What do you believe the evidence should be?

It is hard for a person to truly know what the evidence is. We only see the outward person. However, God sees the heart.

"But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7).

The unlikeliest of persons may repent and be saved. A person who talks the walk may not. It is not up to me to judge.

Cross Reference

It is hard for a person to truly know what the evidence is. We only see the outward person. However, God sees the heart.

"But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7).

The unlikeliest of persons may repent and be saved. A person who talks the walk may not. It is not up to me to judge.

Brad, here is where I believe the "wicket gets a little sticky" for me. I see a distinction between just being saved and been born again [discipleship]. The former will be judged by works: "Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name. For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God? And “If the righteous is scarcely saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?” Therefore let those who suffer according to God’s will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good." 1 Peter 4:16-19 (ESV) The latter will testify by the witness that speaks of the indwelling life of God.
So, in that light, My question isn't about salvation where indeed, God will judge the heart but, the new birth as Jesus explained it to 'righteous' Nicodemus. (John 3:3-5). Ponder that to see that Nicodemus was not born again at that time and Jesus was not speaking of salvation as it relates to redemption . . . or redemption. ;).

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That is true.

It requires that one has received a personal invitation from Him and that one has done what He has said to do in order to enter His covenant.

So many are only presumers today, with no actual experience in the Love of God.

LA

Saul to Paul comments---

November 30th, 2015 12:40 PM SaulToPaul He never told YOU to do anything, but trust him.

This only reveals that Saul to Paul thinks he knows what transpires from Christ to His disciples, and that Saul to Paul has heard nothing from the Lord.

Could this be because the gospel of Saul to Paul is a do nothing gospel?

Well , do nothing except think he is the judge of all men.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi , and where are part of a Covenant ??

Do you have a verse ??

dan p

Heb 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Romans 3

10 As it is written: “There is none righteous, no, not one; 11 There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God. 12 They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one.”

As it is written, except you, Lazy Afternoon, meshak, turbosixx, andyc...

Out of context.

One must discern the audience by right dividing the word of truth.

LA

Cross Reference

Saul to Paul comments---

November 30th, 2015 12:40 PM SaulToPaul He never told YOU to do anything, but trust him.

This only reveals that Saul to Paul thinks he knows what transpires from Christ to His disciples, and that Saul to Paul has heard nothing from the Lord.

Could this be because the gospel of Saul to Paul is a do nothing gospel?

Well , do nothing except think he is the judge of all men.

LA

Seems so.

Cross Reference

Hi and what is this new CREATION by Jesus Christ is what with a verse ??

Will you tells us ??

dan p

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17 (ESV)

Go to work.

DAN P

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."
2 Corinthians 5:17 (ESV)

Go to work.

Hi and since you HAVE to quote Paul , where does Peter say the same thing in the letters written to ONLY the Body of Christ BECAUSE there are NO JEWS in the Body of Christ , Gal 3:28 SO go to WORK and study Gal 3:28 !!

DAN P

Bradley D

Brad, here is where I believe the "wicket gets a little sticky" for me. I see a distinction between just being saved and been born again [discipleship]. The former will be judged by works: "Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name. For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God? And “If the righteous is scarcely saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?” Therefore let those who suffer according to God’s will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good." 1 Peter 4:16-19 (ESV) The latter will testify by the witness that speaks of the indwelling life of God.
So, in that light, My question isn't about salvation where indeed, God will judge the heart but, the new birth as Jesus explained it to 'righteous' Nicodemus. (John 3:3-5). Ponder that to see that Nicodemus was not born again at that time and Jesus was not speaking of salvation as it relates to redemption . . . or redemption. ;).

Rebirth is a complete change of heart. I believe that Nicodemus saw and heard something in Jesus that he felt was missing in his life. Just as with John the Baptist Jews were going to him to be baptized, which was not a common thing for Jews to do. That was reserved for proselytes. But the Jews who went to be baptized by John felt something missing in their lives that the temple worship was not providing. The Pharisees and other leaders believed that it was possible to work their way into heaven by obeying the law and the oral law. They were wrong. Also the sacrifice of animals no longer meant anything to them. The streets could run red with sheep's blood, but it was not enough. The idea was that innocent blood was being spilt for their sins, but they lost the meaning of that in their hearts. Jesus was the ultimate and last sacrifice. I believe Jesus was telling Nicodemus that he had to change his entire way of thinking.

Last edited:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
What is a New Testament Christian?

The first thing that came to my mind with the question are those type of Christians who assume an ideology of the New Testament alone- rather than using the Old as a reference to produce a deeper understanding.

These are typically the humanitarian type who just so happen to have a death stick on top of it- those lukewarm folk.

Truster

The type of Christian experience in the New Testament is that of personal, passionate devotion to the Person of Jesus Christ.

Right or wrong?

Many will come to Him claiming they have provided personal and passionate devotion to Him, but He will answer......

......And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Cross Reference

Many will come to Him claiming they have provided personal and passionate devotion to Him, but He will answer......

......And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Which only goes to prove that "claiming" and "confessing" are not them.