ECT What Does Baptized For the Dead Mean?

Danoh

1 Corinthians 15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

The narrative of the entire chapter where that passage is found, is the following issue..

1 Corinthians 15:12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?

In this, 1 Cor. 15:29 only ends up more complex than it need be because it is based on a doctrine unique to Paul's writings (Romans thru Philemon) that he had obviously taught the Corinthians, which is why he does not appear to explain what he means there, by his words, in 1 Cor. 15:29.

But it is based on several, interconnected doctrines taught by Paul that together form the concept he actually has in mind, there, and is merely reminding them of.

His phrase "baptized for the dead" there actually refers to living one's life FOR CHRIST; which will have been a waste of having lived out one's life in a hopeless hope, if Christ never did rise from the dead, to begin with.

He is referring to the crucified life that the Believer is BAPTIZED into, or identified with Christ in, to live out daily, FOR CHRIST, Gal. 2:20; 6: 14; Gal. 5:24; 1 Cor. 12:13; Rom. 6: 1-12, etc.

That is, that crucified life that the Believer lives out in memory of Christ's great sacrifice, but also, in gratitude to, that sure hope that Christ's death has made the Believer's and that His Resurrection has forever sealed the Believer in Christ, in, Gal. 5: 5; Titus 1:2; 3:7, etc.

Baptized for the dead refers to living that crucified life - that a person is identified with Christ in, to live out FOR Him, the moment the person believes that Christ died for one's sins.

Right then and there, the person is Baptized into or Identified with, Christ's Death, Burial, and Resurrection WITH Him.

At which point begins the Believer's crucified life FOR Christ (in gratitude to Christ's having died for one, and in gratitude also, to that sure, eternal hope that Christ's resurrection has secured for the Believer).

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin. 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Titus 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Galatians 5:5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

And so on...

Notice all that, in the following...

1 Corinthians 15:19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

1 Corinthians 15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead? 15:30 And why stand we in jeopardy every hour? 15:31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our LORD, I die daily. 15:32 If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die.

They that are baptized for the dead refers to Believer's voluntarily dying daily FOR Christ.

Paul's point being that dying daily FOR Christ will have been in vain, if Christ never did rise again from the dead, to begin with.

He then adds further strength to his point by adding that if Christ did not rise from THE DEAD, then he and his fellow laborers have been dying daily FOR CHRIST, allowing themselves to end up facing all sorts of danger at the hands of Christ's enemies, for nothing.

Those many grave dangers that Paul and his fellow laborers had so often faced, then, were one more evidence that Christ did indeed rise from the dead!

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Now there is truth able to result in spiritual revival in one's inward man!

Here, have some more of this truth - it is yours to live FOR Christ in!

2 Corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

2 Corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

Philippians 1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake; 1:30 Having the same conflict which ye saw in me, and now hear to be in me.

Amen! And Amen!

Because Romans 5:6-11!

Jerry Shugart

Sir Robert Anderson writes that "The Apostle’s argument, therefore, may be stated as follows : Baptism symbolises death with Christ what meaning has it then, if there be no resurrection? For if Christ was not raised, our oneness with Him in death points only to the tomb."

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
[MENTION=18255]Rosenritter[/MENTION] suggested that being "baptized for the dead" is simply being baptized, in the (false) case that "the dead rise not at all" (1Co15:29KJV). In such (false) case, then all baptism is "for the dead," instead of for the living Christ Jesus, Who is risen (Mt28:6KJV Mk16:6KJV Lk24:6KJV). So Paul is only following his own (false) hypothetical, in writing of being "baptized for the dead."

I vote for that.

Danoh

[MENTION=18255]Rosenritter[/MENTION] suggested that being "baptized for the dead" is simply being baptized, in the (false) case that "the dead rise not at all" (1Co15:29KJV). In such (false) case, then all baptism is "for the dead," instead of for the living Christ Jesus, Who is risen (Mt28:6KJV Mk16:6KJV Lk24:6KJV). So Paul is only following his own (false) hypothetical, in writing of being "baptized for the dead."

I vote for that.

Thus far, both posts herein above, at least appear, on their surface, to be in agreement with the stated position of the OP.

Which is somewhat refreshing, if such is indeed the case, being that on the above question, far too many too often resort to the books based running to, of most.

Where such end up at the parrotings of men in their writings, who, also, having obviously failed to attempt to sort a thing out through Scripture itself, off such have obviously run, instead, to all sorts of ideas foreign to Scripture's own narrative.

Exactly why I prefer to study such things out from scratch in Scripture itself, rather than right away running to whatever commentaries of men, I happen to agree with, in one thing or another, or not.

Because it is there in Scripture itself, wrestling with it, as Jacob did with the Angel of The Lord, that the Scripture itself teaches one, how to study the Scripture.

Which is a never ending, ever continually fascinating lesson in how to do so, just a bit better, each time.

Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

8:12 And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them.

Romans 5:6-8.

DAN P

Hi Danoh and when I purchased BULLINGER DD book on FIGURES OF SPEECH USED IN THE BIBLE PAGES 41-43 you will see that he has the same interpretation as I and you can buy a used book for 14 dollar from Amazon !!

dan p