What "asking" and "sharing" really mean to Leftists

musterion

Liberals love to say things like, 'We're just asking everyone to pay their fair share.' But government is not about asking. It is about telling. The difference is fundamental. It is the difference between making love and being raped, between working for a living and being a slave. The Internal Revenue service is not asking anybody to do anything. It confiscates your assets and puts you behind bars if you don't pay.

-- Thomas Sowell

This Charming Manc

If you live in a society there is always a balance between individual rights and corporate responsibilities.

In a democratic(or republican) system that balance is decided by the representatives of the people.

Its not perfect but can you think of a better way of doing it?

quip

BANNED
Banned

Liberals love to say things like, 'We're just asking everyone to pay their fair share.' But government is not about asking. It is about telling. The difference is fundamental. It is the difference between making love and being raped, between working for a living and being a slave. The Internal Revenue service is not asking anybody to do anything. It confiscates your assets and puts you behind bars if you don't pay.

A non sequitur.

Now that we've established that the government forces our tax hand....how about that liberal issue of making each hand impart their fair share? :idea:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
as it turns out, those who identify as republican donate more to charitable organizations than those who identify as democrat

Quetzal

as it turns out, those who identify as republican donate more to charitable organizations than those who identify as democrat
It is great that they donate, clearly illustrates a short coming from the left. I should allocate more to that, myself.

gcthomas

It is great that they donate, clearly illustrates a short coming from the left. I should allocate more to that, myself.

That is not all simple charitable donations, but is dominated by religious donations to their churches. It is just an indication of the cost of church membership and the common tithing that is often required.

Quetzal

That is not all simple charitable donations, but is dominated by religious donations to their churches. It is just an indication of the cost of church membership and the common tithing that is often required.
That may be the case, but I am sure I can find some niches to make a contribution. The Planetary Society looks good this time of year. ;)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

and churches generally perform good works in the community :duh:

quip

BANNED
Banned
That may be the case, but I am sure I can find some niches to make a contribution. The Planetary Society looks good this time of year. ;)

How about finding a charity that paves your roads....or perhaps pays the wages for fire and police protection...etc. :think:

gcthomas

I sometimes give flack to churches on some issues, but I do appreciate their community service projects. Been on a few myself and they are very helpful.

Me too. I support a local church run homeless project, and I work for a church school which is technically a charity. But the fact that rich republicans are more likely to be coerced into giving to the church doesn't make them more moral than non-church-going poorer Democrats.