What Are You Reading?

Buzzword

Having recently moved back to civilization and regained the use of a public library, I've started reading theology once again.
Mostly to coincide with our search for a new church family now that we're back from belligerent-ignorance-ville.

I've started a small study book called When Christians Get It Wrong by Adam Hamilton, in my opinion one of the most underrated and relatable pastors and theology writers of the past twenty years.

Hamilton pastors United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, and in 2009 put out a "call" (aka posted on social media) to anyone age 18-30 to send him their stories of Christians doing or saying or believing things which left them feeling alienated.

When Christians Get It Wrong is the compilation of the most recurrent reasons for alienation, and Hamilton's responses to them, culminating in a celebration of Christians getting it right, especially in acts of love and selflessness, and a call to follow their example.

Here are a few quotes:
“To hear some Christians talk, you would think we are starring in our own version of the movie Groundhog Day, waking up morning after morning to find that it’s June 22, 1633. That’s when a tribunal of the church pronounced Galileo a heretic for promoting the shocking notion that the earth moves around the sun, not the other way around.”

“The Bible captures God’s word as it was given in specific historical circumstances, understood, and recorded by authors who were shaped by and addressing their own cultures. Christians must seek to understand the Bible’s teachings in light of Jesus’ own life and teachings. This is particularly true when the words of the Bible are used to exclude particular groups of people.”

“Peter's world is changing [in Acts 10], and he must move beyond the mind-set that says, 'The Bible says it; I believe it; that settles it.' Instead he says, 'The Bible says it, but I think God is up to something new, so I will listen to and follow God.'”

“The proof of maturing in the Christian faith is not found in how much of the Bible people have memorized or how systematic their theology is. It is not even how well they avoid the more obvious sins. The proof of spiritual growth is found in the practice of love.”

So what are ya'll reading?

iamaberean

I still read the Bible.

It only mentions creation in Gen 1, the rest of the bible is about God and his chosen people!

It never gets outdated.

Christiano

Besides the Bible and The Book of Mormon, I'm reading a book by Brazilian UFO research on the Varginha Incident, which happened in the South of Minas Gerais. It's considered the Brazilian Roswell.