ECT What are gifts of Grace?

theophilus

The Gifts of Grace to the Apostles was their salvation, callings, commissions, "signs" given to them to show their authority from God and having spent time with our Lord.

The gifts of grace to us are our salvation, commissions and "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness and temperance." We also receive the gifts given to us as individual believers from the Spirit of God.

Cross Reference

The Gifts of Grace to the Apostles was their salvation, callings, commissions, "signs" given to them to show their authority from God and having spent time with our Lord.

The gifts of grace to us are our salvation, commissions and "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness and temperance." We also receive the gifts given to us as individual believers from the Spirit of God.

And what might they be?

Cross Reference

1 Cor. 12:4-11,

Gifts of the Spirit - - - not of Grace.

27-31 and 1 Cor. 13 (all)

Gifts of administrations by the Holy Spirit. Again not of Grace.

These are the compulsory fruits of the Spirit, very much evidence of who we belong to. Gifts are electives, meant for service. Paul tells his audience to desire them. Chapter 13 brings the life of God and His gifts all wrapped up together.

Are you still with me?

theophilus

Then my gift is "life more abundantly," freedom from sin and death, eternity worshiping my Lord AND every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

Cross Reference

None of which I deserve.

Because of Adam's transgression none can deserve it. Only our faith to God is the substance by which we can only be saved. But even the dead OT saints, justified by their faith, had to wait for redemption for their salvation, release from captivity, to be made complete by the blood of Jesus Christ which in their behalf, made peace with God..

Cross Reference

DIfference, please, between "to" and "in."

Lets also add the word "For".

"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.)

"By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." 1 John 4:7-11 (KJV; John 13:35 (KJV)

Toward/to connotes an action as in projected "towards" us. "For" one another says to me that you have love for me but it's maybe in your back pocket. You aren't ready yet to give it me.It is contingent upon something.

Having faith "IN" someone doesn't say you are OF him. You believe about him sufficient to have confidence. Whereas being "OF" connotes intimacy - discipleship - sonship, as in a familial relationship..

This is the reason I stick to the KJV and only use the newer translations if I need help getting into the ballpark. Gotta watch those tiny prepositions and conjunctives.

theophilus

Lets also add the word "For".

"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.)

"By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." 1 John 4:7-11 (KJV; John 13:35 (KJV)

Toward/to connotes an action as in projected "towards" us. "For" one another says to me that you have love for me but it's maybe in your back pocket. You aren't ready yet to give it me.It is contingent upon something.

Having faith "IN" someone doesn't say you are OF him. You believe about him sufficient to have confidence. Whereas being "OF" connotes intimacy - discipleship - sonship, as in a familial relationship..

This is the reason I stick to the KJV and only use the newer translations if I need help getting into the ballpark. Gotta watch those tiny prepositions and conjunctives.

I am of Apollos. I am of Paul. etc...

I am in Christ.

Gotcha.

God certainly is IN the details.

:)

Cross Reference

I am of Apollos. I am of Paul. etc...

I am in Christ.

Gotcha.

God certainly is IN the details.

Seems you saying you are not OF Christ. Sorry, that won't fly in His economy, i.e., Jointer-ship WITH Him.

Oops! I didn't mention there is a "WITH" to be considered. Are you with Apollo or Paul when they both admonish us to be OF Jesus.

theophilus

Seems you saying you are not OF Christ. Sorry, that won't fly in His economy, i.e., Jointer-ship WITH Him.

Oops! I didn't mention there is a "WITH" to be considered. Are you with Apollo or Paul when they both admonish us to be OF Jesus.

I was using those examples to illustrate your point to myself...thinking out loud, if you will.

Understand?

theophilus

Here's me:

Instant legalist; just add details.

As a bond-slave I have a sense of obedience/duty/love and how to live those in a sin-sick world. It's a hard thing but I return again and again to scripture for hope and comfort.

Thank you for being so very gracious with me.

You ARE a grace dispenser.

Cross Reference

Here's me:

Instant legalist; just add details.

As a bond-slave I have a sense of obedience/duty/love and how to live those in a sin-sick world. It's a hard thing but I return again and again to scripture for hope and comfort.

Thank you for being so very gracious with me.

You ARE a grace dispenser.

. . . and you a prince, my friend. Thank you.

oatmeal

Some say God granted/bestowed "Gifts of Grace" upon the Apostles. Were they "Gifts of Grace" or something else?

Below are a list of scriptures that contain both "gift" and "grace"

Romans 5:15
But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Romans 5:17
For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Romans 12:6
Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Ephesians 3:7
Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

Ephesians 4:7
But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

1 Peter 4:10
As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

According VP Wierwille, there are two categories of God's gifts by His grace.

1. eternal life (Romans 6:23 the gift of salvation/holy spirit ) given to individuals who choose to do Romans 10:9-10

2. gifts to the church, the gift ministries of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers, Ephesians 4:11