ECT Water or No Water?

turbosixx

Baptism mean immersed. We ARE immersed with the Holy Spirit when we are saved.

Yes, we receive the HS when we believe. What I want to understand is the "baptism of the Holy Spirit". What does the bible say?

Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Any mention of baptism of the HS? No.

Here baptism of the Holy Spirit is mentioned and look what it says about it.

Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

Here Peter talks about baptism of the Holy Spirit and he says the last time he saw it was on them at the beginning when they received it at Pentecost. Do we ever see it again?

God's Truth

Yes, we receive the HS when we believe. What I want to understand is the "baptism of the Holy Spirit". What does the bible say?

Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Any mention of baptism of the HS? No.
Receiving the Holy Spirit is baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Here baptism of the Holy Spirit is mentioned and look what it says about it.

Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

Here Peter talks about baptism of the Holy Spirit and he says the last time he saw it was on them at the beginning when they received it at Pentecost. Do we ever see it again?

Baptism of the Holy Spirit is when Jesus accepts you and makes his home with you...he lives in your heart.

In the Bible times, some people, when they were baptized with the Holy Spirit, they were also given power to speak in tongues, as a testimony from God. God testified to the message of the Apostles by allowing them to do miracles, and He allowed some people to speak in tongues.

See Hebrews 2:4.

No one speaks in tongues anymore, and God does not testify to the message, as He had once done, for the message has already been testified to, and the foundation has been laid.

DAN P

I believe it just as it reads. Baptism is how we are added to Christ and die with Christ. In what way did Jesus teach the apostles to make Christians?

Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

Peter seemed to think baptism is how we are added to Christ. Even after the Gentiles were baptized by the HS (one of only two in the NT), he commanded that they be water baptized.

Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Hi and JUST where is thre Holy Spirit , Indwelling or the [POWER of thr Holy Spirit mentioned in Matt 28:19 , PRAY TELL ??:rotfl::rotfl:

DAN P

turbosixx

Receiving the Holy Spirit is baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Do you have a scripture for this?

Baptism of the Holy Spirit is when Jesus accepts you and makes his home with you...he lives in your heart.

In the Bible times, some people, when they were baptized with the Holy Spirit, they were also given power to speak in tongues, as a testimony from God. God testified to the message of the Apostles by allowing them to do miracles, and He allowed some people to speak in tongues.

There are only two places where people received baptism of the Holy Spirit directly from God. Both special situations, first is when the church began, second was for the first Gentile. We see no one else receiving HS in this way. If you know of another please show me.

Here we have people that believed and were baptized but did not receive the HS. Let's see how the received the HS.
Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike. 13 Even Simon himself believed; and after being baptized, he continued on with Philip, and as he observed signs and great miracles taking place, he was constantly amazed.

What else do they need to do to be "accepted" by Jesus. Let's see what else they did.
8:14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.
The people did nothing but the apostles prayed and laid hands on them.
8:18 Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money,

This is how it was normally done and Peter does not remember Jesus words here about baptism of the Holy Spirit. Directly from God only happened twice and is mentioned in scripture as the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

I only know what I read.

No one speaks in tongues anymore, and God does not testify to the message, as He had once done, for the message has already been testified to, and the foundation has been laid.

Agreed.

God's Truth

There are only two places where people received baptism of the Holy Spirit directly from God. Both special situations, first is when the church began, second was for the first Gentile. We see no one else receiving HS in this way. If you know of another please show me.
All who are saved receive the Holy Spirit.

Here we have people that believed and were baptized but did not receive the HS. Let's see how the received the HS.
Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike. 13 Even Simon himself believed; and after being baptized, he continued on with Philip, and as he observed signs and great miracles taking place, he was constantly amazed.

What else do they need to do to be "accepted" by Jesus. Let's see what else they did.
8:14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.
The people did nothing but the apostles prayed and laid hands on them.
8:18 Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money,

This is how it was normally done and Peter does not remember Jesus words here about baptism of the Holy Spirit. Directly from God only happened twice and is mentioned in scripture as the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

I only know what I read.
I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

God's Truth

From the scriptures, I see that Jesus does the baptizing; Jesus immerses us with the Holy Spirit (Mark 1:8).

I see that people can receive the Holy Spirit after they hear and believe the message, to those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 10:44; Acts 11:14; and, Acts 19:2).

I see from the scriptures that we can receive the Holy Spirit after we repent and are baptized (Acts 2:38).

There is only one baptism of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:5).

We receive the Holy Spirit when God accepts us (Acts 15:8).

I see that the Holy Spirit can come on someone after an apostle placed his hands on him or her, Acts 8:14; and, Acts 19:6.

We learn they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:15), and that the Father gives the Holy Spirit to His children who ask (Luke 11:13).

Those who obey God receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 5:32).

If we love Jesus and obey his teaching, God and Jesus will love us and they will come to make their home with us (John 14:23).

turbosixx

All who are saved receive the Holy Spirit.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

I don't like long post and it's hard for me to put thoughts into words, but let me try again.

What does the bible say about "baptism of the Holy Spirit" without making assumptions.
Matt. 3:11 "As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
This verse doesn't really describe it but we know it's coming.

Acts 1:4 Gathering them (apostles) together, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for what the Father had promised, "Which," He said, "you heard of from Me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
We see Jesus telling his apostles that they will be baptized with the Holy Spirit. We see that when they were baptized with the Holy Spirit it was directly from God and they had evident spiritual gifts such as tongues.

The next time we see mention of baptism of the Holy Spirit is Cornelius.
Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as He did upon us at the beginning. 16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'
Peter says they received Holy Spirit baptism just as they (apostles) did on Pentecost. Directly from God and evident spiritual gifts.

So we see without question, two places where people were baptized with the Holy Spirit. Each time it was a special situation. First, were the apostles to begin proclaiming the gospel. Second, was the first Gentile converts to convince the Jews without a doubt Gentiles were included. Acts 11:18

I'm afraid Satan has taken the misconception of Holy Spirit baptism and used it to remove water baptism.
Eph. 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
If we say the baptism in v5 is Holy Spirit baptism, where is the water baptism? The Spirit is listed in v4 and water baptism is in v5. Just as Jesus said in Jn. 3:5, water and the spirit. Just as we see when Gentiles were Holy Spirit baptized.
Acts 10: 47 "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?" 48 And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days.

I'm not aware of any other situations where someone received the Holy Spirit directly from God but plenty of places where they received them from the apostles.

Yes, we receive the Holy Spirit as a seal when we become Christians as a seal of ownership in the body but that isn't Holy Spirit baptism like we see in the two special situations.

God's Truth

I don't like long post and it's hard for me to put thoughts into words, but let me try again.

What does the bible say about "baptism of the Holy Spirit".
Matt. 3:11 "As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
This verse doesn't really describe it but we know it's coming.

This scripture shows that everyone who gets water baptized can be baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Acts 1:4 Gathering them (apostles) together, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for what the Father had promised, "Which," He said, "you heard of from Me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
We see Jesus telling his apostles that they will be baptized with the Holy Spirit. We see that when they were baptized with the Holy Spirit it was directly from God and they had evident spiritual gifts such as tongues.

Jesus is God, and as John said, Jesus will do the baptizing.

The next time we see mention of baptism of the Holy Spirit is Cornelius.
Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as He did upon us at the beginning. 16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'

So we see without question, two places where people were baptized with the Holy Spirit. Each time it was a special situation. First, were the apostles to begin proclaiming the gospel. Second, was the first Gentile converts to convince the Jews without a doubt Gentiles were included. Acts 11:18

I'm afraid Satan has taken the misconception of Holy Spirit baptism and used it to help remove water baptism.
Eph. 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
If we say the baptism in v5 is Holy Spirit baptism, where is the water baptism? The Spirit is listed in v4 and water baptism is in v5. Just as Jesus said in Jn. 3:5, water and the spirit.

The scripture does not say one gospel, yet we know there is only one gospel. I do believe the scripture is about one baptism of the Holy Spirit, but that there is a water baptism too, just not mentioned in that scripture.

turbosixx

The scripture does not say one gospel, yet we know there is only one gospel. I do believe the scripture is about one baptism of the Holy Spirit, but that there is a water baptism too, just not mentioned in that scripture.

Let's try it like this. Give me a passage where you see Holy Spirit baptism. I'll start.

14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.

Here we see people who have obeyed the gospel but haven't received the Holy Spirit until the apostles laid hands on them. Why did they not receive the Holy Spirit until then?

God's Truth

Let's try it like this. Give me a passage where you see Holy Spirit baptism. I'll start.

14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.

Here we see people who have obeyed the gospel but haven't received the Holy Spirit until the apostles laid hands on them. Why did they not receive the Holy Spirit until then?

Jesus decides whom he saves.

Jesus saves those he accepts.

The Bible says the Holy Spirit is given to those who ask.

Didn't you read the scriptures I gave about this?

Jesus does the baptizing; Jesus immerses us with the Holy Spirit (Mark 1:8). People can receive the Holy Spirit after they hear and believe the message, to those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 10:44; Acts 11:14; and, Acts 19:2). We can receive the Holy Spirit after we repent and are baptized (Acts 2:38). There is only one baptism of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:5). We receive the Holy Spirit when God accepts us (Acts 15:8). The Holy Spirit can come on someone after an apostle placed his hands on him or her, Acts 8:14; and, Acts 19:6. We learn they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:15), and that the Father gives the Holy Spirit to His children who ask (Luke 11:13). Those who obey God receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 5:32). If we love Jesus and obey his teaching, God and Jesus will love us and they will come to make their home with us (John 14:23).

turbosixx

Jesus decides whom he saves.

Jesus saves those he accepts.

The Bible says the Holy Spirit is given to those who ask.

Didn't you read the scriptures I gave about this?

Jesus does the baptizing; Jesus immerses us with the Holy Spirit (Mark 1:8). People can receive the Holy Spirit after they hear and believe the message, to those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 10:44; Acts 11:14; and, Acts 19:2). We can receive the Holy Spirit after we repent and are baptized (Acts 2:38). There is only one baptism of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:5). We receive the Holy Spirit when God accepts us (Acts 15:8). The Holy Spirit can come on someone after an apostle placed his hands on him or her, Acts 8:14; and, Acts 19:6. We learn they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:15), and that the Father gives the Holy Spirit to His children who ask (Luke 11:13). Those who obey God receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 5:32). If we love Jesus and obey his teaching, God and Jesus will love us and they will come to make their home with us (John 14:23).

Of course, I read your post and I am trying to see it from your view point. When I show people 1 Pt. 3:21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you they say there is only one baptism and it's Holy Spirit baptism. What I see is people using confusion of Holy Spirit baptism to say water baptism does nothing and is not necessary.

I agree with everything you have said here with the exception of Ehp. 4. Baptism of the Holy Spirit and receiving the Holy Spirit are two different things. If they are the same, then we should see people receiving the Holy Spirit directly from God as the apostles and Cornelius did and speaking in tongues. Is that what we see?

Acts 2:41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.
Acts 2:43 Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles.
These people believed, repented, were baptized and were added to the body, do we see them with spiritual gifts like those who, the bible says, were baptized with the Holy Spirit?

Acts 5:12 At the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were taking place among the people; and they were all with one accord in Solomon's portico.
Again, we see the apostles with spiritual gifts but none of the believers.

Next we see the chosen 7 receive the Holy Spirit from the apostles and they do miracles. Then the believers at Samaria, Peter himself giving spiritual gifts through his hands does not acknowledge this as Holy Spirit baptism. It's not until Cornelius he says it's baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Do these look the same as when the apostles and Cornelius received the Holy Spirit? Are there any after that look the same? I would suggest to you receiving the Holy Spirit and baptism of the Holy Spirit are not the same. The way we receive the Holy Spirit today is the same as those on Pentecost who believed and were baptized.

God's Truth

Of course, I read your post and I am trying to see it from your view point. When I show people 1 Pt. 3:21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you they say there is only one baptism and it's Holy Spirit baptism. What I see is people using confusion of Holy Spirit baptism to say water baptism does nothing and is not necessary.
That scripture is about water baptism, and it says water baptism is a symbol, a ceremony where we promise God we will live to please Him.
I agree with everything you have said here with the exception of Ehp. 4. Baptism of the Holy Spirit and receiving the Holy Spirit are two different things. If they are the same, then we should see people receiving the Holy Spirit directly from God as the apostles and Cornelius did and speaking in tongues. Is that what we see?
Baptism means immersed. Jesus is the one who baptizes people, and Jesus immerses us with the Holy Spirit that is when we receive the Holy Spirit.
Acts 2:41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.
Acts 2:43 Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles.
These people believed, repented, were baptized and were added to the body, do we see them with spiritual gifts like those who, the bible says, were baptized with the Holy Spirit?
Not everyone who received the Holy Spirit spoke in a tongue that does not mean they were not baptized with the Holy Spirit. Read this scripture, not everyone spoke in tongues, and that does not mean they were not baptized with the Holy Spirit; we see that they should desire…greater gifts…they only had to desire the gifts…that does not mean they would receive another baptism. The Bible never speaks about receiving another baptism of the Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts. And yet I will show you the most excellent way.

Acts 5:12 At the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were taking place among the people; and they were all with one accord in Solomon's portico.
Again, we see the apostles with spiritual gifts but none of the believers.
God was testifying to what the apostles taught. God testified to it with signs and miracles see Hebrews 2:4, and Acts 14:3.
Next we see the chosen 7 receive the Holy Spirit from the apostles and they do miracles. Then the believers at Samaria, Peter himself giving spiritual gifts through his hands does not acknowledge this as Holy Spirit baptism. It's not until Cornelius he says it's baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Do these look the same as when the apostles and Cornelius received the Holy Spirit? Are there any after that look the same? I would suggest to you receiving the Holy Spirit and baptism of the Holy Spirit are not the same. The way we receive the Holy Spirit today is the same as those on Pentecost who believed and were baptized.
No one is going to receive gifts of the Holy Spirit if they are not baptized and received the Holy Spirit. People who are baptized with the Holy Spirit are receiving the Holy Spirit.
As for receiving power, and gifts…that happens at the same time as receiving the Holy Spirit/being baptized with the Holy Spirit, or after already having the Holy Spirit; as seen by Jesus’ water baptism where he already had the Holy Spirit, but during his WATER baptism he was given power before he started his earthly ministry; the same with the apostles, see John 20:22, and then at Pentecost where the apostles received power before starting their ministry.

turbosixx

If there is one baptism, how many do you see here?

God's Truth

If there is one baptism, how many do you see here?

That scripture is speaking about repenting and being water baptized, then receiving the Holy Spirit. When the Apostles preached the gospel, many times a water baptism was preformed right then after the person repented, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Baptized means immersed. When we receive the Holy Spirit, we are immersed with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit washes us and takes away our sins; our bodies are washed and our hearts are circumcised.

See Hebrews 10:22, and Romans 2:29.

turbosixx

That scripture is speaking about repenting and being water baptized, then receiving the Holy Spirit. When the Apostles preached the gospel, many times a water baptism was preformed right then after the person repented, and they received the Holy Spirit.
So do you see two baptisms or one? What does scripture call baptism in this case?

Baptized means immersed.
Agreed.

When we receive the Holy Spirit, we are immersed with the Holy Spirit.
Scripture please.

The Holy Spirit washes us and takes away our sins;
Yes, when we are water baptized, we are added to the body where we have access to the blood and our sins are forgiven.
Acts 22:16 Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.'

our bodies are washed and our hearts are circumcised.
Again, water baptism accomplishes this. Water and the spirit just as Jesus said.
Col. 2:11 and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; 12 having been buried with Him in baptism,

God's Truth

So do you see two baptisms or one? What does scripture call baptism in this case?
I have already told you that the scripture, when speaking of the word ‘baptism’ is speaking about water baptism.
Agreed.
Scripture please.
Baptism means immersed. We receive the Holy Spirit when we are immersed with the Holy Spirit. It is common sense, and from God.
Yes, when we are water baptized, we are added to the body where we have access to the blood and our sins are forgiven.
Acts 22:16 Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.'
No, when we are baptized by the Holy Spirit. Just because a person is water baptized, it does not mean they are accepted by Jesus. Jesus gives the Holy Spirit to those he accepts. See Acts 8:16, Acts 15:8, and Acts 5:32.

Again, water baptism accomplishes this. Water and the spirit just as Jesus said.
Col. 2:11 and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; 12 having been buried with Him in baptism,
That scripture is about being baptized with the Holy Spirit, and not necessarily when we are water baptized. Water baptism does not ensure that you will be saved that you will be given the Holy Spirit. Water baptism does no such thing. Water baptism is a ceremony when you promise God you will die to the sins of the world and live to please Jesus.

turbosixx

I have already told you that the scripture, when speaking of the word ‘baptism’ is speaking about water baptism.

Baptism means immersed. We receive the Holy Spirit when we are immersed with the Holy Spirit. It is common sense, and from God.

No, when we are baptized by the Holy Spirit. Just because a person is water baptized, it does not mean they are accepted by Jesus. Jesus gives the Holy Spirit to those he accepts. See Acts 8:16, Acts 15:8, and Acts 5:32.

That scripture is about being baptized with the Holy Spirit, and not necessarily when we are water baptized. Water baptism does not ensure that you will be saved that you will be given the Holy Spirit. Water baptism does no such thing. Water baptism is a ceremony when you promise God you will die to the sins of the world and live to please Jesus.

I guess we will have to disagree on this point. :)

DAN P

I believe it just as it reads. Baptism is how we are added to Christ and die with Christ. In what way did Jesus teach the apostles to make Christians?

Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

Peter seemed to think baptism is how we are added to Christ. Even after the Gentiles were baptized by the HS (one of only two in the NT), he commanded that they be water baptized.

Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Hi and what do you say 1 Cor 10:2 IS , Holy Spirit or Water ?

dan p

Last edited:

DAN P

Hi , then what is 1 Cor 12:13 , IS BAPTIZO , mean Sprirt or WATER ??

Remember that BAPTIZO is a Transliterated word !!:bang::bang:

DAN P