Was Mary M. the Same as Mary B?

Ben Masada

Was Mary M. the Same as Mary B.?

We are talking about Mary of Magdala and Mary of Bethany, who were known respectively as Mary Magdalene and Mary, the sister of Martha.

After the wedding in Cana of Galilee, Jesus had become much more than just a guest in Bethany. According to John 12, when Jesus returned to Bethany from perhaps some of his missionary trips with his disciples, he was hungry and they made him a supper. They who? Mary, Martha and Lazarus.

Since the supper was at their house, Lazarus would sit at the table with Jesus and his disciples, and Martha would serve the table. At the appropriate time, Mary brought a pound of costly perfume and started anointing Jesus' feet and wiping his feet with her hair. (John 12:1-3) Needless to say, it was quite romantic.

We all know that Jesus was an Orthodox religious Jew, and every Jewish woman knew and knows that she cannot approach a religious Jew, and is not even supposed to talk to him, let alone to touch or anoint him in such a romantic manner if she is not his wife.

I believe we have proved that Jesus was married to the sister of Martha and Lazarus. Now, was she the same as Mary Magdalene? Let's ask Luke. (Luke 7:36-40)

Luke adds a guest who perhaps was not familiar with Jesus' wife to criticize him for allowing a prostitute to touch and kiss him that way while she would anoint him with such a costly perfume. She had been a prostitute because that 's the name with which Luke calls her "a woman known in the town to be a sinner." (Luke 7:37)

Why would the Pharisee, a religious Jew criticize Jesus for allowing such a display of inappropriate behaviour? Because Jesus was also a religious Jew. Obviously, the Pharisee was not familiar with Mary's connections to Jesus.

Mark says in Mark 14:3 that she would anoint Jesus starting from his head. There is no way a religious Jew would allow such a thing if the woman was not his wife. And the anointing was made in the same place and Mark calls the host by the name of Simon, the leper. That's Lazarus by another name, since Lazarus was a leper.

Matthew also reports the same place at the house of this Simon the leper who is Lazarus. And Mary anoints Jesus starting with his head.

Conclusion: 1. Mary Magdalene and Mary, the sister of Martha were one and the same woman; 2. Jesus was a religious Jew who, to allow such an anointing by a woman, it's only obvious that they were married; 3. Now, to insist that Jesus was not married is to affirm that he was not Jewish, and much less a Rabbi. And to claim that all cases of anointing are four different cases with the purpose to safeguard the gospel writers from being charged with contradiction, it will be tantamount to expose Jesus to negative credibility charges for behaving as a "Don Juan." Therefore, it's much more to his sacred reputation that he was a married man to the sister of Martha, who was known as Mary Magdalene.

Ben Masada

Was Mary M. the Same as Mary B?

This is a real evidence that Jesus was a married man. I only wish people would take a break from walking by faith and walked by sight for a change. To walk by faith while leaving the understanding with Paul, one will never be able to walk by sight. (II Cor. 5:7)

RBBI

This is a real evidence that Jesus was a married man. I only wish people would take a break from walking by faith and walked by sight for a change. To walk by faith while leaving the understanding with Paul, one will never be able to walk by sight. (II Cor. 5:7)

I have wondered about this myself, for the same reasons. It doesn't change Him to me, but it sure changes some people's religious perceptions of what "holy" is, therefore it will be fought against. After all, the RCC has celibate priests so they would want Him to be as they are, since they defined that as "holy".

It would also make sense in another way. He said if He didn't go another comforter would not come. If Yeshua the man was married, He couldn't marry another (the church). But if the flesh of Him died, then the Seed Son that was in Him, COULD, marry His "brother's" wife and bring forth children. I know you won't agree with this part, I'm mostly talking out loud here.....Peace

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. And you do not have a leg to stand on that Jesus was married. Even so, to whom?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
..Mary brought a pound of costly perfume and started anointing Jesus' feet and wiping his feet with her hair. (John 12:1-3) Needless to say, it was quite romantic...

:dizzy:

Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.

There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.

Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment [John 12:1–3].

"In Jerusalem they were plotting and planning His death but, here in Bethany, His friends plan a dinner party for Him. Right in the shadow of the Cross, those who loved Him made Him a dinner. We want to study the whole picture of this lovely dinner.

Lazarus, the man who has been raised from the dead was in fellowship with Christ. Jesus had said, “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live” (John 11:25). This was true of Lazarus in a physical sense. He had been raised from the dead. It is true of you and of me in a spiritual sense. We were dead in trespasses and sins. We had no knowledge of Him nor did we have any fellowship with Him. So for us He said, “And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die” (John 11:26).

What a picture we have here! There is Lazarus alive from the dead and in fellowship with Christ. Then we see Mary sitting at Jesus’ feet, growing in grace and in the knowledge of Christ. Then, thirdly, we see Martha serving, putting on a meal. That is her gift and she is exercising it. These are the three essentials in the church today: new life in Christ, worship and adoration, and service. This home at Bethany should be a picture of your church and mine.

All this is in the home where Jesus is with His own. As you know, the church began in the home. It may end in the home. Many of our churches are turning away from God and the things of God. They are no longer places of delightful fellowship and blessing. So perhaps the church will return to homes where true fellowship with Christ will be found.

Then we notice the devotion and adoration, the unutterable attachment and deep affection of this woman, Mary. She anointed the feet of Jesus with costly spikenard and wiped them with her hair. Some people think this is the same story as the harlot who washed Jesus’ feet. I think you will have trouble with Mary someday if you think that. She is an altogether different person. The only thing that is the same in both cases is that the hair was used to wipe His feet. The odor of the ointment filled the house. Delightful!" McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: The Gospels (John 11-21) (electronic ed., Vol. 39, pp. 37–38). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to meat [Luke 7:36].

"This is one of the notable occasions when the Lord Jesus Christ went out to dinner. When He went out to dinner, it was never a dull affair. Remember, He had been denouncing these Pharisees. He called them spoiled brats; so it is difficult to believe that the invitation to dinner from this Pharisee was a friendly one. The Pharisee invited Him to dinner so that he could spy on Him and find something wrong with Him." Ibid. p. 103.

Jesus at Supper in Bethany

And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head [Mark 14:3].

"Here is a lovely thing. John’s Gospel places this incident six days before the Passover (see John 12:1). Then have Matthew and Mark erred in placing this incident just before the Passover? No. We must remember that neither Matthew nor Mark is attempting to give a chronological order. Their obvious purpose is to place this lovely incident next to the dark deed of Judas—that is, the plot to betray Jesus. They are portraying a vivid contrast and conflict of light and darkness, and that is the reason they are brought together like this. Matthew and Mark do not attempt to give a chronological biography of Christ. Both friend and foe are moving toward the Cross but by different routes. Mary of Bethany is coming the way of light and love. Judas is moved by foul and dark motives. And, by the way, it is John who tells us that this woman was Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazarus (see John 12:3)." Ibid. p. 165.

Last edited:

Ben Masada

1 - I have wondered about this myself, for the same reasons. It doesn't change Him to me, but it sure changes some people's religious perceptions of what "holy" is, therefore it will be fought against.

2 - After all, the RCC has celibate priests so they would want Him to be as they are, since they defined that as "holy".

3 - It would also make sense in another way. He said if He didn't go another comforter would not come. If Yeshua the man was married, He couldn't marry another (the church).

4 - But if the flesh of Him died, then the Seed Son that was in Him, COULD, marry His "brother's" wife and bring forth children. I know you won't agree with this part, I'm mostly talking out loud here.....Peace

1 - Please, tell me what is unholy about being married? The opposite is rather true that lack of holiness is a fact more in an environment of celibacy than among married people.

2 - And we all know about the sexual scandals of the Church especially of the pedophilic kind.

3 - This has absolutely nothing to do with the commandment to get married. (Gen. 2:24)

4 -I agree, why wouldn't I? But you are being hypothetical here. Jesus probably had to leave the Land to prevent a return to the cross and complicate others with him like Joseph of Aimathea who had removed Jesus from the cross before the time of death and cheating on Pilate in the process.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
We all know that Jesus was an Orthodox religious Jew, and every Jewish woman knew and knows that she cannot approach a religious Jew, and is not even supposed to talk to him, let alone to touch or anoint him in such a romantic manner if she is not his wife.

I believe we have proved that Jesus was married to the sister of Martha and Lazarus. Now, was she the same as Mary Magdalene? Let's ask Luke. (Luke 7:36-40)

:kookoo:

Ben Masada

:dizzy:

Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.

There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.

Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment [John 12:1–3].

"In Jerusalem they were plotting and planning His death but, here in Bethany, His friends plan a dinner party for Him. Right in the shadow of the Cross, those who loved Him made Him a dinner. We want to study the whole picture of this lovely dinner.

Lazarus, the man who has been raised from the dead was in fellowship with Christ. Jesus had said, “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live” (John 11:25). This was true of Lazarus in a physical sense. He had been raised from the dead. It is true of you and of me in a spiritual sense. We were dead in trespasses and sins. We had no knowledge of Him nor did we have any fellowship with Him. So for us He said, “And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die” (John 11:26).

What a picture we have here! There is Lazarus alive from the dead and in fellowship with Christ. Then we see Mary sitting at Jesus’ feet, growing in grace and in the knowledge of Christ. Then, thirdly, we see Martha serving, putting on a meal. That is her gift and she is exercising it. These are the three essentials in the church today: new life in Christ, worship and adoration, and service. This home at Bethany should be a picture of your church and mine.

All this is in the home where Jesus is with His own. As you know, the church began in the home. It may end in the home. Many of our churches are turning away from God and the things of God. They are no longer places of delightful fellowship and blessing. So perhaps the church will return to homes where true fellowship with Christ will be found.

Then we notice the devotion and adoration, the unutterable attachment and deep affection of this woman, Mary. She anointed the feet of Jesus with costly spikenard and wiped them with her hair. Some people think this is the same story as the harlot who washed Jesus’ feet. I think you will have trouble with Mary someday if you think that. She is an altogether different person. The only thing that is the same in both cases is that the hair was used to wipe His feet. The odor of the ointment filled the house. Delightful!" McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: The Gospels (John 11-21) (electronic ed., Vol. 39, pp. 37–38). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to meat [Luke 7:36].

"This is one of the notable occasions when the Lord Jesus Christ went out to dinner. When He went out to dinner, it was never a dull affair. Remember, He had been denouncing these Pharisees. He called them spoiled brats; so it is difficult to believe that the invitation to dinner from this Pharisee was a friendly one. The Pharisee invited Him to dinner so that he could spy on Him and find something wrong with Him." Ibid. p. 103.

Jesus at Supper in Bethany

And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head [Mark 14:3].

"Here is a lovely thing. John’s Gospel places this incident six days before the Passover (see John 12:1). Then have Matthew and Mark erred in placing this incident just before the Passover? No. We must remember that neither Matthew nor Mark is attempting to give a chronological order. Their obvious purpose is to place this lovely incident next to the dark deed of Judas—that is, the plot to betray Jesus. They are portraying a vivid contrast and conflict of light and darkness, and that is the reason they are brought together like this. Matthew and Mark do not attempt to give a chronological biography of Christ. Both friend and foe are moving toward the Cross but by different routes. Mary of Bethany is coming the way of light and love. Judas is moved by foul and dark motives. And, by the way, it is John who tells us that this woman was Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazarus (see John 12:3)." Ibid. p. 165.

If you ask me, Simon the leper was Lazarus the brother of Mary, Lazarus was also leper and, according to the Jesus' parable he died from. Only Jesus' wife Mary could anoint Jesus with oil. More than his own wife could not approach Jesus to do that. He was no
"Casa Nova".

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you ask me, Simon the leper was Lazarus the brother of Mary, Lazarus was also leper and, according to the Jesus' parable he died from. Only Jesus' wife Mary could anoint Jesus with oil. More than his own wife could not approach Jesus to do that. He was no
"Casa Nova".

Then why different names?

Ben Masada

I think the question is, Was there anything forbidding Jesus from marrying after the manner of his day?

Very good question! Obviously, the opposite is true that there was a commandment rather to get married. (Gen. 2:24)

Ben Masada

An adulterous relationship with a prostitute? Me thinks not.

Remember the 7 demons Jesus exorcised from Mary? That was not literal. It means the struggle that took Jesus to convince her to leave her style of life and marry him. After that, there was no longer any problem for them to get married and live happy ever after. Besides, Jesus not only loved her but he also needed to get married before operating as a Rabbi. Even today an Orthodox Rabbi won't become one as a single man. (John 3:1,2)

Last edited:

Ben Masada

Then why different names?

Mary Magdalene had two lives to live. One, as a famous courtesan in the city of Magdala and the other at her home place in Bethany. There lived Martha and Lazarus but the home was Mary's. She was or had been financially a very successful woman regardless of how.

Last edited:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mary Magdalene had two lives to live. One, as a famous courtesan in the city of Magdala and the other at her home place in Bethany. There lived Martha and Lazarus but the home was Mary's. She was financially a very successful woman regardless of how.

You have a vivid imagination. :chuckle:

RBBI

1 - Please, tell me what is unholy about being married? The opposite is rather true that lack of holiness is a fact more in an environment of celibacy than among married people.

2 - And we all know about the sexual scandals of the Church especially of the pedophilic kind.

3 - This has absolutely nothing to do with the commandment to get married. (Gen. 2:24)

4 -I agree, why wouldn't I? But you are being hypothetical here. Jesus probably had to leave the Land to prevent a return to the cross and complicate others with him like Joseph of Aimathea who had removed Jesus from the cross before the time of death and cheating on Pilate in the process.

I think you assumed I was agreeing with the stance of the RCC. I was not. And you didn't understand point 3 and 4 from my point of view, but that's ok. Peace