ECT Undercurrent to Judgment?

nikolai_42

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 7:22-23

Maybe not an undercurrent, but it strikes me that this is not something commonly expressed. At least not in reference to this passage. And that is that one of the overriding (undergirding?) themes is one of identity.

We focus on the idea that one needs to be in Christ (which is absolutely true) to know Him and have Him know you. But doesn't this glimpse at the judgment show that part of that identity is the loss of one's own identity? What I'm asking is really this :

Can't we really say that one of the fundamental problems with the declarations of those who Jesus says He never knew is that they are asserting themselves? Aren't their claims based in what they do rather than what God does through them? Isn't their foundational issue that while they identify themselves as Christ's, they still want to have their own identity? "Me", "we", "I" etc....?

Reading the passage with that view brings to mind another scripture :

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.
For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

Luke 9:23-25

That cross puts an end to the claim to one's self. It ends forever the independent identity we so wanted in Eden. It crucifies what sets itself up separate from God and allows the Lord to make a new creature in all ways identified with Him.

Isn't that really the heart of all our carnal problems and spiritual crises?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 7:22-23

Maybe not an undercurrent, but it strikes me that this is not something commonly expressed. At least not in reference to this passage. And that is that one of the overriding (undergirding?) themes is one of identity.

We focus on the idea that one needs to be in Christ (which is absolutely true) to know Him and have Him know you. But doesn't this glimpse at the judgment show that part of that identity is the loss of one's own identity? What I'm asking is really this :

Can't we really say that one of the fundamental problems with the declarations of those who Jesus says He never knew is that they are asserting themselves? Aren't their claims based in what they do rather than what God does through them? Isn't their foundational issue that while they identify themselves as Christ's, they still want to have their own identity? "Me", "we", "I" etc....?

Reading the passage with that view brings to mind another scripture :

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.
For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

Luke 9:23-25

That cross puts an end to the claim to one's self. It ends forever the independent identity we so wanted in Eden. It crucifies what sets itself up separate from God and allows the Lord to make a new creature in all ways identified with Him.

Isn't that really the heart of all our carnal problems and spiritual crises?

Yes, I believe this is so . . .

The sin of idolatry starts with love of self, over and above love of Christ, love of our fellow man, and respect for the holiness of the commands of God.

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil represented Idolatry, and that is why God commanded A&E not partake of it.