Unconditional Election vs. Total Depravity

Jerry Shugart

The gospel of Grace, Paul's Gospel is only found in Paul's epistles and nowhere else in the Bible.

Paul called his gospel the preaching of the Cross (1 Cor.1:18) and that is exactly what Peter speaks of here in his first epistle:

"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed... Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot" (1 Pet.2:24,1:18-19).​

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The belief comes from the Protestant Reformation, specifically Lutheran and Reformed(Calvinist) denominations.
It has spread to most Protestant denominations, which is where you probably were taught it, even if you were not taught the name.
This is very simply false. My doctrine DID NOT start with the Protestant Reformation - period.

Further, I did not learn this at church. I can't hardly stand to sit in the typical church these days. It's annoying to sit and listen to a man attempt to teach me from a bible that he doesn't understand. Even when he's got something right, it's in spite of himself as often as not.

I was pointing out where the doctrine first appeared, which was about 1500 years after Jesus was crucified.
The doctrine was not held by Paul or any of the other writers of the New Testament.
No, you were making a guilt by association fallacy. If this is what you had intended, you've have said this and not what you did say.

Further, what you've said here is flatly false! I've already quoted you passages that state it out right. (Romans 4 and Galatains 2 & 3 and elsewhere.)

Here is the only mention of Sola Gratia (faith alone) to be found in the Bible:

James 2:17
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.​

Yeah, except for the passage that I quoted and that you respond to next by explaining how it doesn't mean what it says, just as I predicted you would do.

Yes, you cannot obligate God to give you eternal life by merely doing those things you were commanded to do (obeying the Law).

Luke 17:9-10
9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.​

That is not what it Romans 4 says! That is your interpretation of what it says.

As predicted, this is how this is going to go.

I predict also that this conversation will not proceed one inch past where we've gotten too already.

Did you not notice that what you've done here and that it is EXACTLY what I said that you would do? I mean, I couldn't have been more exactly right about what you would do if I was holding a gun to your head, forcing your to write down stuff that perfectly fits my predictions.

James 2 and Luke 17 are your proof texta and Romans 4 is your problem text. You take James and Luke at face value and interpret Paul in order to force his writings to agree with James and Luke.

I am offering you a way to understand the Bible that will allow you to read all three passages and take all three to mean precisely what they seem to mean.

God alone has to be the one to choose whether you are worthy of being in His kingdom.
Who else is there? This comment doesn't seem to fit the discussion. Who has suggested that anyone other than God gets to decide such things? :confused:

You may not be making that claim.
There are a significant number of Protestants who claim that they are considered righteous in God's eyes because Jesus kept the Law without sin and when God looks at them He sees Jesus instead of them.
Yep, this is definitely a misunderstanding/mischaracterization of the doctrine. Even when people say this, they don't mean it the way you are suggesting.

It doesn't matter. It's a topic that is too far down the line from where we are. It would be a distraction to focus on this at this point.

Hold on.
God is not "uncompromisingly" just.
God compromises a lot throughout the Old Testament.
God even looks for reasons to compromise.
That is why He looks for individuals to stand up to Him and petition Him to turn aside His just wrath.

Ezekiel 22:30
30 And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.​

This is about 1mm away from being blasphemy. God is Justice! If God can hedge on justice then there was no need for Jesus to die on that cross and to whatever degree you believe God "compromises" justice, is the degree you believe that God is unjust.

The reason it's just short of blasphemy is, once again, due to a misunderstanding on your part. You are mixing apples and oranges with this Ezekiel passage. What God does in relation to humans and their physical lives has little or nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Every breath we take is a mercy! God is not obligated to keep us physically alive for one additional second. He is fully within His just rights to end our physically existence at any moment and in any manner He sees fit. Our physical lives are but tiny blips, transitory flashes, here one moment and gone the next. Just because evil people get away with evil and even prosper due to their evil during this life not mean that they are getting away with their evil forever or that they have escaped justice. Conversely, just because one is physically killed by one of God's agents doesn't mean necessarily they're going to spend eternity in Hell.

At the end, every single tongue will confess and every single knee will bow before the King of Kings and the Righteous Judge of All Things. People will either pay the sin debt that they owe or they will have that debt cancelled by virtue of what Christ paid with His own blood at Calvary. Either way, the debt with be paid and paid in full. The scales of justice will be balanced.

That is not how it works.
God was looking for a reason to compromise so His just wrath could be turned aside.
Because He couldn't find any man worthy enough to do that, He sent His own Son to do it.
Jesus had His faith tried throughout His entire life, and the ultimate trial of His faith was being obedient to the command to die on the cross.

Philippians 2:7-9
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:​

Look, first of all, the passage you quote doesn't support your claim and, more importantly, your claim amounts to a denial of the very gospel itself.

I am not the one who came up with the idea to liken our sinfulness to debt. That's God's analogy, not mine! God likes to make financial parallels to moral issues.

This act is how Jesus bought us (redeemed us).

We're NOT bought with Christ's obedience but with His death! It is Christ's blood that washes you white as snow, not the kindness He showed to old women and beggers.

The wages of sin is DEATH! Death is the price for rebellion against the God of Life. Which only makes absolutely perfect sense!

Of course, it was necessary that Jesus not sin and that He live righteously. He had to be a lamb without blemish, to be sure. Otherwise, the death would not have been of sufficient value to pay the debt. Indeed, He wouldd have owed His own debt and we would all be lost and without hope.

Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin. (Heb. 9)

Galatians 3:13
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:​

Ever wonder why it's worded that way; "hangeth on a tree" and not "hangeth on a cross made of wood"?

Why use the word "tree" and what's all this talk about a curse? A curse and a tree. Where else do we here about that? :think:

Not quite.
When Jesus bought you (redeemed you), your debt transferred to Him.
You now need to pay Jesus for your debt by being a good and faithful servant to Him instead of paying the wages of sin to God.
This is not Chrisitan doctrine and you did not get this from anywhere in the Bible.

By what means are we to pay this debt? You think you have what it takes to be "good and faithful" sufficiently to cancel the evil you're guilty of? Your righteousness is as rags of filth! You may as well go to the bank and attempt to pay off your home morgage off with used toilet paper.

If you can't see that Paul and Peter are teaching the same gospel, you are misunderstanding Paul.

2 Peter 3:13-16
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Peter is specifically speaking about the things Paul wrote that have become known as the "gospel of grace" without works.
Which Peter states plainly was both "given unto him (Paul)" and were things that were "hard for him (Peter) to understand"!

This passage you quote is one of the strongest evidences that they are NOT preaching the same gospel! How in the world could they be preaching the same gospel if Paul had to receive it by direct divine revlation and if Peter didn't get it to the point the Paul had to get in Peter's face about it (Gal. 2)?

If it's the same gospel why would there have been any need for Paul in the first place? There were Twelve Apostles who were all under the so called "great commission" and all twelve of whom had been indwelt by the Holy Spirit in order to fulfill that very commission!

If it's the same gospel then why is it only Paul who preached the gospel of grace? Why didn't Peter and John preach it in Acts 3?
If it's the same gospel then why did Paul have to distance himself from the Twelve and state emphatically that he did not receive the gospel from man nor was he taught it but that he received it by direct divine revelation?
If it's the same gospel, why did he repeatedly call it "my gospel"?
If it's the same gospel, why did he have to go to Jerusalem to explain "his gospel" to the Twelve Apostles - including Peter?!
If it's the same gospel, why does Paul tell us that if you allow yourself to be placed under the law that Christ will profit you nothing while James' converts were all "zealous for the law"?

The ONLY reason you think that are the same gospel is because you interpret Paul to mean something other than what the text of his epistle plainly state. You read the Gospels and Hebrews - Revelation and take it all to mean what the plain reading would demand and you flip Paul on his head and twist him into whatever pretzel shape is necessary to force his gospel to agree with "another gospel with is not another".

See, you are misunderstanding what Romans 4 says.

James was easier to understand than Paul.
Both passages are easy as pie to understand and both mean precisely what they seem to mean.

If that is true, then Paul is a false preacher and everyone that believes in Paul alone is damned.
However, if Paul is not a false preacher, then what Paul preached has to be reconciled with the rest of scripture and not sliced and diced to make a new gospel.
There is no slicing or dicing going on. It's simply reading it and taking it for what it says.

The first sentence explains your motive (premise) for the action that you plainly state in the next sentence.
This might actually turn out to be a good sign. Most of the time when I discuss these issues, it's all but impossible for me to get anyone to acknowledge that there is even an implied need to reconcile Paul with the rest of the New Testament, nevermind that they themselves do actually interpret Paul in such a way. You have both acknowledged that you do this and explained why.

My position is that there is no need to reconcile Paul's writtings in this way. He says different things because he is saying something different and speaking to a different audience and therefore means exactly what he says just as Peter, James and John (and Jesus) mean exactly what they say as well!

Galatians 2:7b when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter 8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), 9 and when James, [c]Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.​

The main reason for that is that Paul was easily misunderstood by those that did not have Paul's knowledge of the Old Testament and of historical Jewish beliefs and the first century Jewish beliefs.
What? Paul's initial ministry was to the Jews and he traveled from synagogue to synagogue preaching "his gospel". The confusion/contention we read about in the New Testament was between Paul and PETER and those "from James", not some spiritually ignorant group of gentiles. It was the Twelve that Paul had to go to Jerusalem, (by divine revelation no less), and explain himself too! It wasn't ignorant gentile peasants who had no concept of Jewish principles.

My prediction is that you will reject what Paul says because it doesn't match what you are expecting Paul to say.
You've already fulfilled my prediction more completely than if I had somehow forced you to do it.

As for Paul, I take to mean precisely what he says. There are, of course, some passages that are more difficult than others but speaking in general terms, I am not afraid of anything you can quote anyone saying in the Bible. As a general rule, the Bible is pretty straight forward and doesn't require a lot of analysis to understand. Mostly, you can just read it and take it to mean what it seems to mean and it makes no difference whether you're reading the words of Jesus, Moses, Peter or Paul. These men understood their message and wrote it down pretty clearly.

That is interesting.
I spent several years reading the entire scripture and rejected proof text after proof text simply because it did not match what the messages that all of scripture were saying.
No it isn't! You've already admitted that, in your view, if Paul isn't "reconciled" (i.e. interpreted in a way so as to make it agree) with the rest of the New Testament that it would mean he was a false teacher. There are a very great many Messianic Jews that believe exactly that, by the way! They believe the gospels and believe that Jesus died for the sins and rose from the dead and they completely ignore Paul to the point that they actually do believe that his epistles should not have been included in the Bible. A position that is at least as intellectually honest as forcing his words to mean that law and grace are basically synonymous.

You, rely on proof texts within Paul's writings.
I am certain that the proof texts you use to justify splitting Paul off from the rest of the Bible include these passages:

2 Timothy 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.​

Galatians 1:8
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.​

Not just Paul's writtings but also Acts. In fact, without the book of Acts we would all reject Paul as a heretic, if we even knew that he had existed. Without Acts, Paul's ministry is inexplicable and would be universally rejected.

Also, this point of yours indicates that you have somewhat missed a major point about this proof text issue. As I said, for a great many doctrinal debates (not every single one), people on one side have a set of proof texts and a set of problem texts. The people on the othe side of the debate use the same sets but just flip the labels. What is problem texts for one is proof texts for the other and vise versa. That much is clear enough but the point you miss is that this does not apply to me. I will, naturally, fall on one side or the other of these debated issues but for me both sets of texts are proof texts! I have no problem texts! I have no need nor motive to suggest to anyone that James didn't mean it when he said that faith without works is dead. That's what he said and that is precisely what he meant. That's no only what he said and meant but it precisely what I'd expect for James to teach! In fact, if James didn't teach that THEN that would be problem text for me but he did teach it and as such his epistle is one of my clearest and strongest proof texts. Every passage in every book of the Bible functions for me as a proof text.

Imagine that! One doctrinal idea that is plainly stated in the Bible that, when taken to mean what it says, wipes out centuries of Christian infighting and division and leaves you with a two inch thick bible full of proof texts without a single problem text in regards to perhaps dozens of widely varring doctrinal issues.

What more elegant argument could be made for a systematic theology than that?

No worries.
I get passionate about this topic, so I may sound aggressive, angry, mean or condescending as well.
Please don't take me being passionate about the doctrinal differences as a personal attack when I am trying to address the flaws in doctrinal beliefs.
I do learn a lot from these debates and have adjusted my beliefs when I find that scripture supports another belief better than the one I have.
:up:

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. No time for editing! I hope there's not too many typos!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Paul called his gospel the preaching of the Cross (1 Cor.1:18) and that is exactly what Peter speaks of here in his first epistle:

"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed... Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot" (1 Pet.2:24,1:18-19).​

The two gospels share much in common.

ttruscott

That, unfortunately is not what 'soveriegn' means in the mind of a Calvinist. In their minds it means that God is in direct meticulous control of every event that happens.

I cannot accept this definition as it makes GOD the creator of all evil no matter how they apply double-think to assuage the cognitive dissonance created by accepting that the opposites that both HIS hatred of evil and HIS creation of evil are true at the same time.

Jerry Shugart

The two gospels share much in common.

So what can a gospel which speaks of redemption by the blood of the Lamb have in common with the gospel which the Twelve preached at Luke 9:6, at a time when they didn't even know the Lord Jesus was going to die (Lk.18:33-34)?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I cannot accept this definition as it makes GOD the creator of all evil no matter how they apply double-think to assuage the cognitive dissonance created by accepting that the opposites that both HIS hatred of evil and HIS creation of evil are true at the same time.

I agree with you entirely!

"Double-think" - that's the perfect word for what they do. Which reminds me of one of the greatest anti-Calvinist verses in all the Bible...

James 4:7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.​

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So what can a gospel which speaks of redemption by the blood of the Lamb have in common with the gospel which the Twelve preached at Luke 9:6, at a time when they didn't even know the Lord Jesus was going to die (Lk.18:33-34)?

This question makes no sense.

Ever heard of Passover?

Just because the Twelve didn't understand Jesus to be the Lamb of God prior to it being made plain to them after the fact doesn't mean he wasn't that Lamb or that what they preached before the cross had nothing in common with what they preached after. I mean, what doesn't it have in common? Practically everything was in common except that the Twelve now understood that the Messiah and the Lamb of God were one and the same person. Otherwise, the message was the same, repent so that God will send Jesus back and give Israel her kingdom (i.e. times of refreshing) - Acts 3.

One thing's they for sure! They were NOT preaching...

Romans 4: 4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. 5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works

Galatians 5:2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.​

Jerry Shugart

Practically everything was in common except that the Twelve now understood that the Messiah and the Lamb of God were one and the same person. Otherwise, the message was the same, repent so that God will send Jesus back and give Israel her kingdom (i.e. times of refreshing) - Acts 3.

No, here is what John was preaching about the Lord Jesus' appearance:

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is"
(1 Jn.3:2).​

Those who received John's epistles were taught that they might well be alive when the Lord appears--"when he shall appear...we shall see him as he is."

They were also taught that "when he shall appear... we shall be like him."

This will happen when the Lord descends from heaven and the living saints will put on glorious bodies just like the body of the Lord Jesus. The events of which are spoken of at 1 John 3:2 John can only be in regard to the rapture spoken of here by Paul:

"Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed"
(1 Cor.15:51-52).​

This will happen when the Lord descends from heaven and the living saints will put on glorious bodies just like the body of the Lord Jesus.

According to Paul Sadler, the past President of the Berean Bible Society, only the members of the Body of Christ will be raptured:

"The 'secret' resurrection that will take place at the Rapture should never be confused with the 'first' resurrection at the Second Coming of Christ. Those who rightly divide the Word of truth now see that only the members of the Body of Christ will be raised at the Rapture" [emphasis mine] (Sadler, Exploring the Unsearchable Riches of Christ [Stephens Point, WI: Worzalla Publishing Co., 1993], 167).​

One thing's they for sure! They were NOT preaching...

Romans 4: 4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. 5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works

David lived under the law and he was saved by grace through faith, just like all of the others who were saved while living under the law:

"Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all"
(Ro.4:16).​

Last edited:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
That, unfortunately is not what 'soveriegn' means in the mind of a Calvinist. In their minds it means that God is in direct meticulous control of every event that happens.

In the minds of normal people, one is 'soveriegn' over their car because they not only own the car but they control when it runs, how fast it goes and in what direction and when it stops and gets turned off. That isn't half way good enough for the Calvinist. The Calvinist would be disgusted by such a notion of sovereignty. A Calvinist wouldn't consider you soveriegn over a car unless you were actively pushing the pistons up and down by your own power, actively causing the oil to flow through the engine, actively causing the oxygen in the combustion chamber to combine in various ways with the carbon and hydrogen atoms in the fuel and forcing the resulting gasses out the tail pipe. You're not soveriegn over your car unless you are deciding which microscopic particles of rubber are coming off your tires and when they are to come to rest in just the right spot on the side of the road as you drive by. You're not sovereign over your car unless you've decided in advance which pieces of glass will slice through your passager's face during the major accident you're going to have in July of 2022.

Indeed! Calvinist's carry things, way too far. Like 'Old GM' analogized awhile back. That is, that we human beings are, as Shakespeare said, so eloquently stated: "All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players." Of course their 'SYSTEM' of belief would have us believe that God is the Director of ALL His ACTORS, and they merely follow whatever He wills by His sovereign will and purpose.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
BUT you just won't accept that HIS Sovereign will is to chose those who put their faith in HIS claims to be our GOD and in HIS Son for our salvation from any sin is THE REASON FOR who HIS sovereign will chooses!!! Why is that? Sovereign means HE does what HE wants, NOT that HE has no reason for HIS choice!!!

The 'Calvinist belief-system' is illogical/unreasonable at best. I believe God is meticulously rational/logical.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
If you can't see that Paul and Peter are teaching the same gospel, you are misunderstanding Paul.

2 Peter 3:13-16
James was easier to understand than Paul.

You stated that "James was easier to understand than Paul" The problem is, James was not speaking to the Gentiles but, to the 12 tribes of Israel. James 1:1 "James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting."

genuineoriginal

He did to the apostle Paul.
Saul did not persecuted the believers in Jesus because Saul liked killing people.
Saul was trying to defend God against people he thought were blaspheming against God.
Saul's heart was right, but his actions were wrong.
Saul's love of God was so great that it merited God's favor on him to the point that Saul received a message directly from Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus.

He did to Jacob/Israel.
Jacob spent his life seeking the blessings of God.
The reasons Jacob had in his heart for why he did this were why Jacob merited God's favor.

genuineoriginal

This is about 1mm away from being blasphemy. God is Justice! If God can hedge on justice then there was no need for Jesus to die on that cross and to whatever degree you believe God "compromises" justice, is the degree you believe that God is unjust.
God compromising on punishing sinners is the only reason for Jesus to die on the cross.
Any other reason would be an injustice.

The Old Testament has several examples of God compromising on justice, like this one:

Exodus 32:9-14
9 And the Lord said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people:
10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.
11 And Moses besought the Lord his God, and said, Lord, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand?
12 Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people.
13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever.
14 And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.​

We're NOT bought with Christ's obedience but with His death!
Jesus is worthy because He was obedient unto death on the cross.
It was not Jesus' death that was the important part in that equation, it was His obedience.

It is Christ's blood that washes you white as snow, not the kindness He showed to old women and beggers.
By saying that, you are making a mockery of Jesus' obedience.

Not quite.
When Jesus bought you (redeemed you), your debt transferred to Him.
You now need to pay Jesus for your debt by being a good and faithful servant to Him instead of paying the wages of sin to God.
This is not Chrisitan doctrine and you did not get this from anywhere in the Bible.
The doctrine came from the Bible, not from the distorted teachings of modern Christianity.
It comes from Jesus being the "redeemer", us being bought with a price, and us being the servants (slaves) of Jesus.

By what means are we to pay this debt?
Our debt to Jesus is a debt of service.

You think you have what it takes to be "good and faithful" sufficiently to cancel the evil you're guilty of?
The only way you can make that statement is by being mired in multiple false doctrines that are currently being taught by modern Christianity.

If it's the same gospel why would there have been any need for Paul in the first place? There were Twelve Apostles who were all under the so called "great commission" and all twelve of whom had been indwelt by the Holy Spirit in order to fulfill that very commission!
By that logic, there was no need for any of the twelve disciples.

The ONLY reason you think that are the same gospel is because you interpret Paul to mean something other than what the text of his epistle plainly state.
No, the main reason I believe they are the same gospel is because I read Paul with understanding of the Old Testament that he is constantly referring to.

If that is true, then Paul is a false preacher and everyone that believes in Paul alone is damned.
However, if Paul is not a false preacher, then what Paul preached has to be reconciled with the rest of scripture and not sliced and diced to make a new gospel.
The first sentence explains your motive (premise) for the action that you plainly state in the next sentence.
This might actually turn out to be a good sign. Most of the time when I discuss these issues, it's all but impossible for me to get anyone to acknowledge that there is even an implied need to reconcile Paul with the rest of the New Testament, nevermind that they themselves do actually interpret Paul in such a way. You have both acknowledged that you do this and explained why.
I do not believe Paul's gospel contradicts the rest of the Bible.
You have not given a valid reason for believing that Paul had a different gospel that contradicts the rest of the Bible.

You've already admitted that, in your view, if Paul isn't "reconciled" (i.e. interpreted in a way so as to make it agree) with the rest of the New Testament that it would mean he was a false teacher. There are a very great many Messianic Jews that believe exactly that, by the way! They believe the gospels and believe that Jesus died for the sins and rose from the dead and they completely ignore Paul to the point that they actually do believe that his epistles should not have been included in the Bible.
The people that are splitting Paul's words off from the rest of the Bible (Old Testament and New Testament) are wrong, whether they believe only Paul or they reject Paul.

Not just Paul's writtings but also Acts. In fact, without the book of Acts we would all reject Paul as a heretic, if we even knew that he had existed. Without Acts, Paul's ministry is inexplicable and would be universally rejected.
Have you spent any time comparing what Paul is recorded as preaching in Acts with what you have mistakenly assumed is Paul's gospel of grace?

As I said, for a great many doctrinal debates (not every single one), people on one side have a set of proof texts and a set of problem texts. The people on the othe side of the debate use the same sets but just flip the labels. What is problem texts for one is proof texts for the other and vise versa. That much is clear enough but the point you miss is that this does not apply to me. I will, naturally, fall on one side or the other of these debated issues but for me both sets of texts are proof texts! I have no problem texts! I have no need nor motive to suggest to anyone that James didn't mean it when he said that faith without works is dead. That's what he said and that is precisely what he meant. That's no only what he said and meant but it precisely what I'd expect for James to teach! In fact, if James didn't teach that THEN that would be problem text for me but he did teach it and as such his epistle is one of my clearest and strongest proof texts. Every passage in every book of the Bible functions for me as a proof text.
If I understand your position correctly, you believe that there are three different Bibles, one is your Bible (Paul's writings) and two are not your Bibles (Old Testament, New Testament without Paul's writings).

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Saul did not persecuted the believers in Jesus because Saul liked killing people.
Saul was trying to defend God against people he thought were blaspheming against God.
Saul's heart was right, but his actions were wrong.
Saul's love of God was so great that it merited God's favor on him to the point that Saul received a message directly from Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus.

Jacob spent his life seeking the blessings of God.
The reasons Jacob had in his heart for why he did this were why Jacob merited God's favor.
Saul/Paul was not a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Jacob was chosen in the womb BEFORE he did anything right or wrong.

genuineoriginal

Saul/Paul was not a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ.
You seem to think that is important.
Why?

Saul/Paul's merit came from being zealous in his love for God.
God chose Saul/Paul to become a minister of the gospel because of his love for God, despite his mistaken belief that Jesus was not the promised Messiah (Christ).
Once God corrected Saul/Paul, He was able to use Saul/Paul's love for God to spread the gospel of Jesus the Messiah (Christ).
Jacob was chosen in the womb BEFORE he did anything right or wrong.
You seem to be trying to take an instance of God raising up a person to fulfill a specific purpose and apply that to whether God's grace is applied to everyone.
Esau despised the birthright that would have listed him as the ancestor of God's chosen people, while Jacob thought that birthright was a prize to be acquired by any means.
This made Jacob worthy of God's favor.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You seem to think that is important.
Why?

Saul/Paul's merit came from being zealous in his love for God.
God chose Saul/Paul to become a minister of the gospel because of his love for God, despite his mistaken belief that Jesus was not the promised Messiah (Christ).
Once God corrected Saul/Paul, He was able to use Saul/Paul's love for God to spread the gospel of Jesus the Messiah (Christ).

Saul (aka Paul) was a murderer.

His focus was more on keeping the law than loving God.

You seem to be trying to take an instance of God raising up a person to fulfill a specific purpose and apply that to whether God's grace is applied to everyone.
Esau despised the birthright that would have listed him as the ancestor of God's chosen people, while Jacob thought that birthright was a prize to be acquired by any means.
This made Jacob worthy of God's favor.

You seem to have missed the entire theme of Genesis, and therefore miss the meaning of what Jesus did.