Ukraine Crisis

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Russian fighter, Lt. Col. Astakhov Dmitry Mikhailovich, condemned his commanders in a video published by the Ukrainian news agency UNIAN. Mikhailovich said his men had been duped into believing they were rescuing the country from Nazis, and were surprised to be met with a fight.

An unnamed senior US defense official told Voice of America on March 1 that many of the Russian side are conscripts with no experience of real fighting.

"Some of them weren't even told they were gonna be in combat," he said, per VOA.

Ben Wallace, the UK's defense secretary, said much the same to BBC radio on March 2.

"We've seen a number of anecdotal reports by young Russian soldiers saying, didn't even know I was here, I thought I was on exercises, no one told me I was going to war, no one told me I was going to kill Ukrainians,'" he said.

A sense of moral purpose is essential, Wallace said. "So there's huge amounts of low morale in the Russian forces," he said.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Lies. Here's the truth:

Oil/gas companies, right now, have over 9,000 unused approved permits to drill in the US. Of the 37+ million acres under leases onshore and offshore to the oil and gas industry, nearly 60% are not being produced. Petroleum companies have been buying leases and letting them sit idle because their strategy is to let the price of oil go up so they can reap huge profits from higher prices.

Production was cut during the pandemic due to the drop in demand, and they have been slow to ramp production back up, but that is no fault of Biden's at all. The petroleum industry's current strategy is to let the price of oil go up so they can reap huge profits from higher prices. OPEC is doing the same thing. Hysteria over Russia's warmongering in Ukraine also drives the price of oil up.

The petroleum industry will eventually ramp up production and bring the price down, but they are taking their time to do that because, for the time being, they want higher prices and more profits.

Arthur Brain

Switzerland.

And it's not untenable, it's just long term.

It is, but it's been done. It was done successfully and completely in Germany and in Japan after WWII, and it was even done successfully in the American South after the Civil War----except that occupation was aborted due to partisan politics in Washington in 1877. As soon as the federal occupiers left the South the South spilled racist laws all over the place.

Yes. It's a problem. We would have to settle on a constitution that isn't fragile or vulnerable to such wrong thinking.

We have to do something. We cannot fatalistically just accept WWIII.
Okay, it has happened but not in the age of nuclear weapons and not with the likes of Russia & China in light of that. Sure, Germany, under the Nazi regime was a completely different country than it is presently and the same with Japan. Obviously that's something to be thankful for along with an overall progression away from many things decades past that were prevalent, including racial segregation.

Minority fringe elements are a problem in as much as any of them ever getting control which on an optimistic note is far from likely.

I hope WWIII never comes about. Still, isn't there a bit in the bible where it describes destruction to the extent of not a stone standing upon a stone? What happens with a blast wave from a nuclear bomb?

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Russian fighter, Lt. Col. Astakhov Dmitry Mikhailovich, condemned his commanders in a video published by the Ukrainian news agency UNIAN. Mikhailovich said his men had been duped into believing they were rescuing the country from Nazis, and were surprised to be met with a fight.

An unnamed senior US defense official told Voice of America on March 1 that many of the Russian side are conscripts with no experience of real fighting.

"Some of them weren't even told they were gonna be in combat," he said, per VOA.

Ben Wallace, the UK's defense secretary, said much the same to BBC radio on March 2.

"We've seen a number of anecdotal reports by young Russian soldiers saying, didn't even know I was here, I thought I was on exercises, no one told me I was going to war, no one told me I was going to kill Ukrainians,'" he said.

A sense of moral purpose is essential, Wallace said. "So there's huge amounts of low morale in the Russian forces," he said.

Chances are they weren't told and were flat out lied to. It's Putin's MO after all. His whole invasion is based on the lie that Ukraine poses a threat to Russia and that it's a neo-Nazi regime. He doesn't care.

Arthur Brain

Pizzagate Posibiec is a lying, hoaxing, white nationalist troll. That, among other things, is why he's trash.

You should be more discerning with your admiration.
Since when are far right wingnuts discerning where it comes to who/what warrants admiration? There's undoubtedly a sizable amount who think Trump is right with his remarks regarding Putin's invasion...

Skeeter

Banned
Since when are far right wingnuts discerning where it comes to who/what warrants admiration? There's undoubtedly a sizable amount who think Trump is right with his remarks regarding Putin's invasion...
Why is the ability to lie equated with intelligence? Toddlers can lie readily.

marke

Pizzagate Posibiec is a lying, hoaxing, white nationalist troll. That, among other things, is why he's trash.

You should be more discerning with your admiration.
Blind, irrational democrat hatred for conservatives is just like blind irrational white democrat KKK hatred for blacks. Lost people slap disrespectful labels on people they wrongly think justifies their blind hatred of them for impure political reasons.

marke

Andrei Kozyrev, foreign minister of Russia from 1991 to 1996, argued on Twitter Sunday that Putin has long believed Ukraine is not really a country at all and, "at best, should be a satellite state," Kozyrev writes. His hopes for indirect control of Ukraine were dashed in 2014's Maidan uprising, so force was his only other option, and "he also started to believe his own propagandists that Ukraine is run by a Nazi-Bandera junta."

So, "if you believe all three of the above to be true and your goal is to restore the glory of the Russian Empire (whatever that means), then it is perfectly rational to invade Ukraine," Kozyrev argues. "He miscalculated on all three, but that doesn't make him insane. Simply wrong and immoral." Read his entire thread to see how Kozyrev arrives at concluding Putin won't use nukes.

When wicked leaders think wrong things that can cause them to do very bad things to the people they have some control or influence over.

marke

I feel sorry for the soldiers. They are in this because their wicked leaders are using them like disposable pawns. Wicked leaders are like that. They bring suffering on massive numbers of people just to further their wicked agendas, while they do not suffer at all.

marke

Lies. Here's the truth:

Oil/gas companies, right now, have over 9,000 unused approved permits to drill in the US. Of the 37+ million acres under leases onshore and offshore to the oil and gas industry, nearly 60% are not being produced. Petroleum companies have been buying leases and letting them sit idle because their strategy is to let the price of oil go up so they can reap huge profits from higher prices.

Production was cut during the pandemic due to the drop in demand, and they have been slow to ramp production back up, but that is no fault of Biden's at all. The petroleum industry's current strategy is to let the price of oil go up so they can reap huge profits from higher prices. OPEC is doing the same thing. Hysteria over Russia's warmongering in Ukraine also drives the price of oil up.

The petroleum industry will eventually ramp up production and bring the price down, but they are taking their time to do that because, for the time being, they want higher prices and more profits.
Those Americans who think leftist global warming fears and agendas have not driven gas prices through the roof are either ignorant or stupid.

marke

Chances are they weren't told and were flat out lied to. It's Putin's MO after all. His whole invasion is based on the lie that Ukraine poses a threat to Russia and that it's a neo-Nazi regime. He doesn't care.
Political leaders who lie to their own people are wicked.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Those Americans who think leftist global warming fears and agendas have not driven gas prices through the roof are either ignorant or stupid.
It's gaslighting. They're pushing a lie that they know is a lie with the expectation that the large majority of Americans who are idiots will believe it.

Meanwhile if you talk to any experts in the field they'll tell you that it's because of regulatory changes made by the Biden administration when they first came into office

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
It's gaslighting. They're pushing a lie that they know is a lie with the expectation that the large majority of Americans who are idiots will believe it.

You're lying if you think that oil companies aren't sitting on thousands of permits to drill on 37+ million acres onshore and offshore. They have it, and they'll get to drilling in their own sweet time.

You're also gaslighting, lying or an idiot if you say you don't know that the price of oil is set by the global market. In other words, OPEC has a lot to do with it. And we can't quite force them to increase production if they don't want to.

marke

You're lying if you think that oil companies aren't sitting on thousands of permits to drill on 37+ million acres onshore and offshore. They have it, and they'll get to drilling in their own sweet time.

You're also gaslighting, lying or an idiot if you say you don't know that the price of oil is set by the global market. In other words, OPEC has a lot to do with it. And we can't quite force them to increase production if they don't want to.
OPEC did not dictate American oil prices under Trump, but after Biden shut down significant portions of American oil production he then begged Russia and OPEC to lower prices that were skyrocketing in America under his leadership.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
OPEC did not dictate American oil prices under Trump, but after Biden shut down significant portions of American oil production he then begged Russia and OPEC to lower prices that were skyrocketing in America under his leadership.
You're lying. The pandemic caused American production to drop. Oil companies have yet to ramp production back up: