Tyrannosaurus Rex And Mastodon Protein Fragments Discovered, Sequenced

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
April 7, 2007
Science Daily — Scientists have confirmed the existence of protein in soft tissue recovered from the fossil bones of a 68 million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex (T. rex) and a half-million-year-old mastodon.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wonder how long it will be before some evolutionists give up and admit that some dinosaurs lived beyond where scientific tradition has said they all became extinct?

After all we know of all kinds of "living fossils" which once had been thought to have gone extinct millions of years ago, yet were found living today in some remote area of the world.

These "living fossils" demonstrate that just because something is missing from the fossil record at a certain point is not conclusive proof that none survived into later eras.

Evolution doesn't bat an eye over "living fossils". Why make dinosaurs an exception? Embarassment?

I think it is more embarassing for them to be trying to weasel out of admitting that they made an unwarranted extrapolation by telling us that "some unknown process" must have preserved the protein so far beyond the previously believed upper limit of 100,000 years.

All they would really have to do to avoid embarassment is to say: "apparently a few survived a lot longer than we thought".

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
I wonder how long it will be before some evolutionists give up and admit that some dinosaurs lived beyond where scientific tradition has said they all became extinct?

After all we know of all kinds of "living fossils" which once had been thought to have gone extinct millions of years ago, yet were found living today in some remote area of the world.

These "living fossils" demonstrate that just because something is missing from the fossil record at a certain point is not conclusive proof that none survived into later eras.

Evolution doesn't bat an eye over "living fossils". Why make dinosaurs an exception? Embarassment?

I think it is more embarassing for them to be trying to weasel out of admitting that they made an unwarranted extrapolation by telling us that "some unknown process" must have preserved the protein so far beyond the previously believed upper limit of 100,000 years.

All they would really have to do to avoid embarassment is to say: "apparently a few survived a lot longer than we thought".

Dino meat is perpetual Bob. Get over it.

:chuckle:

Real Sorceror

That would be jumping the gun. We would first need to verify that how it happened, and then we would need to verify that this particular specimen was one of the animals that survived longer than the rest.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That would be jumping the gun. We would first need to verify that how it happened, and then we would need to verify that this particular specimen was one of the animals that survived longer than the rest.

Well the article did say that "Dinosaur Jack Horner" was out with a group to hunt down more specimens.

Maybe they will try carbon dating next (fat chance. What if C-14 was still present?)

What's an evolutionist to do? Just-so stories may not do the job here.

CRMRC

Anyway, why are we talking about this again? Didn't we discuss it into the ground a couple months back? I know you were involved in that thread bob, so why start it again?

Vern Reed

BANNED
Banned

What would be the result of some scientists admitting a few survived until recent times (relatively)? Would that be such a big issue for anyone other than YEC-types? I'd love to think they lived 100,000yrs ago. It's be a testimony to the way life can go on surviving. Would you see it is as the first brick coming down from the wall of 'corrupted' science-thinking? What would you get out of it Bob?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What would be the result of some scientists admitting a few survived until recent times (relatively)? Would that be such a big issue for anyone other than YEC-types? I'd love to think they lived 100,000yrs ago. It's be a testimony to the way life can go on surviving. Would you see it is as the first brick coming down from the wall of 'corrupted' science-thinking? What would you get out of it Bob?

Amusement.

I agree with you that a few dinosaurs surviving longer than expected would be no big deal one way or the other.

But from the scientists standpoint, to admit that would risk weakening the authority which they now enjoy with much of the public. Which to me helps explain their peculiar behavior on this as well as on similar matters. One might roughly call it pride.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome to two months ago.
There was good discussion on this awhile back when the paper was published.

I've noticed quite a few newbys since then.

Besides, a good discussion deserves a repeat.

So, don't you agree that it would be better for scientists to wait to get more data before running off at the mouth about "new processes" that would muliply the previous preservation limit by a factor of a thousand?

PlastikBuddha

Amusement.

I agree with you that a few dinosaurs surviving longer than expected would be no big deal one way or the other.

But from the scientists standpoint, to admit that would risk weakening the authority which they now enjoy with much of the public. Which to me helps explain their peculiar behavior on this as well as on similar matters. One might roughly call it pride.

Bull- do you have any idea how ecstatic any paleobioligist would be get their mitts a relatively recent dinosaur or mastadon sample? You think they'd hide it? They would crow so loud you could hear it one the moon, you buffoon. Don't try to ascribe motivations to a class of people you apparently don't understand (scientists). It's not a conspiracy- take a paper bag, breathe into it, repeat.