ECT Two Gospels Preached During The Acts Period

Jerry Shugart

Here we see a reference to two different gospels:

"But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter" (Gal.1:7).​

What was preached to the Jews during the Acts period? Here is what Paul preached to them:

"And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God...proving that this is the very Christ"
(Acts 9:20,22).​

The Apostle John makes it clear that those who believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, are "born of God":

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him...For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1,4,5).​

John also made it clear that those who believe this truth receive life:

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name"
(Jn.20:31).​

This is the gospel or "good news" of Christ which was first preached to the Jews, the gospel which saved all those who believed:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek"
(Ro.1:16).​

The heart and soul of the gospel which was preached to the Jews during the Acts period concerned the "identity" of the Lord Jesus. And while He walked the earth He said this to the Jews:

"And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins" (Jn.8:23-24).​

On the other hand, the heart and soul of the gospel of the uncircumcision concerns the "purpose" of the Lord's death upon the Cross:

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures" (1 Cor.15:1-4).

Two different gospels and belief in either of them brought salvation to all who believed.

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
"But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter" (Gal.1:7).​

What was preached to the Jews during the Acts period? Here is what Paul preached to them:

"And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God...proving that this is the very Christ"

The Apostle John makes it clear that those who believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, are "born of God":
"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him...For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1,4,5).​

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name"

This is the gospel or "good news" of Christ which was first preached to the Jews, the gospel which saved all those who believed:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek"

The heart and soul of the gospel which was preached to the Jews during the Acts period concerned the "identity" of the Lord Jesus. And while He walked the earth He said this to the Jews:

"And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins" (Jn.8:23-24).​

On the other hand, the heart and soul of the gospel of the uncircumcision concerns the "purpose" of the Lord's death upon the Cross:

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures" (1 Cor.15:1-4).

Two different gospels and belief in either of them brought salvation to all who believed.
Interplanner can't grasp this

Rivers

Yes, and the reason is because the apostles came to understand that "circumcision" was not required for salvation after the family of Cornelius (and the converts of Paul and Silas) received holy spirit apart from any works of Law (including water baptism). This was the purpose of the meeting in Jerusalem to discuss the matter (Acts 15).

The apostles agreed that the uncircumcised converts would not be required to "bear the whole yoke of the Law" (Acts 15:28-29) even though the circumcised Jewish disciples still remained "all zealous for the Law" (Acts 21:20-22) on account of the command of Jesus to do so (Matthew 23:1-3; Matthew 28:19-20).

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

You quoted Romans 1:16: "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek."

Why did Paul say "the gospel of Christ" if it should the gospels of Christ?

Why did Paul say "it" if there are multiple gospels about multiple saviors?

Why did Paul say circumcision and uncircumcision mean nothing if there are gospels for each group?

Why was there just one law for native born and for immigrants?

beloved57

Those in the flesh cant believe in Jesus Christ Rom8:8

Jerry Shugart

You quoted Romans 1:16: "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek."

The Greek word translated "gospel" means "glad tidings" or "good news." With that in mind let us look at what is said:

"For I am not ashamed of the good news of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek"(Ro.1:16).​

The "good news" of Christ which was preached to the Jews is that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.

The "good news" preached to the Gentiles is that the Lord Jesus died for our sins.

There is nothing at Romans 1:16 that limits the number of instances of "good news" which was preached.

Last edited:

dodge

dodge

Same Gospel 2 different audiences. Nice try though but fail.

john w

Hall of Fame

What a mess...Father, must I get into the ditch with him? Very well....

"Gospel" means "good news"-get it?(rhetorical q)-plural. There is plenty of good news in the book, not just one piece of good news/gospel, the context tells us which good news is being discussed.

Survey the good news Judas was preaching.

Luke 9:6 KJV

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic

All Jews already knew Christ was to come, none completely understood how or why.

The 12 also expounded the same things with scripture to the Jews.

Gentiles had to be taught who God was before they could even begin to hear about his son.

So by Paul saying he "first of all delivered" there was a whole lot more than just telling them some dude named Jesus got nailed to a tree.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
It all comes down to one thing, Jesus died to remit the sins of his creation.

How are sins remitted? Uh, that's already been covered for those to whom it pertains.

DAN P

It's really simple, Paul said it is instead of they are.

Hi and it reads , For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ , for it is God's power to every believing one , both to Jew first and to Greek !!

Why question the Holy Spirit as he had Paul write it so ??

Check the Greek text , but translation at times are bad too !!

dan p

john w

Hall of Fame
It all comes down to one thing, Jesus died to remit the sins of his creation.

How are sins remitted? Uh, that's already been covered for those to whom it pertains.

We stay on topic, the "argument"....unlike you, with your rabbit trail, create a moving target...

Now-did Judas preach "Jesus died to remit the sins of his creation?" Did he preach this good news/gospel?

Survey the good news Judas was preaching.

Luke 9:6 KJV