Trump: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardofOz

Fake News, you can't even read the article unless you're a subscriber

:liberals: That doesn't make it fake...

Google is your friend

Puerto Rico is neither a State nor a country, but a territory of the United States. Some people might say that it is in fact a colony of the United States.

A colony is an area that is controlled by a country, but which is not in that country. It is usually understood to be distant from the country that controls it, and people from the controlling country usually settle in the colony. A number of different European countries, for example, had colonies in what is now the United States. Puerto Rico was a colony of Spain before the United States gained control over it.

Joaquín A. Márquez is one of those who believe that Puerto Rico is essentially a colony of the United States. In his statement submitted to the United States House of Representatives Committee on Natural Resources Subcommittee of Indian, Insular and Alaska Native Affairs Oversight Hearing, he explained the effects of the colonial nature of Puerto Rico’s relationship with the U.S.

Spoiler
After World War II and the founding of the United Nations, a great universal movement to end colonialism was begun by the international community,” he explained. The U.N. developed a list of “non-self-governing” areas — in other words, colonies. The U.N. established a special committee which calls out the owners of these modern colonies. The United States was embarrassed to see Puerto Rico included on that list.

It’s hard to be a champion of independence and democracy while also owning a colony.

“In 1952, partially in response to pressure from this movement,” Márquez continued, “the Truman Administration allowed the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico to be established. While it provided a measure of local self-government, the island remained as an unincorporated territory subject to the full plenary powers of Congress under Article IV, Section 3 of the United States Constitution. By establishing a locally self-governing territory, the United States was able to remove Puerto Rico from the United Nation’s list of colonies and stop further criticism by the world community.”

This was especially important at that point in history. The “Cold War” between the United States and the Soviet Union was at its height at that time. The U.S. wanted the world to see Puerto Rico as a showcase for American policies.

“The United States government wanted to draw a contrast between its successful stewardship of Puerto Rico and the Soviet Union’s floundering stewardship of Fidel Castro’s Cuba,” said Márquez. “While Puerto Rico enjoyed great economic progress and a vibrant democracy, Cuba languished under a hard dictatorship and a failed economic system.”

The United Nations continues to call on the United States to provide a permanent status for Puerto Rico, and the U.S. continues to ignore those calls.

But the U.S. has also changed the policies that let Puerto Rico look, temporarily, like a success story for the U.S. “These special privileges simply masked the colony’s intrinsic flaw – the insidious poison of colonialism, said Márquez. “The economic and political model on which it is based simply is not sustainable in the long-run.”

As a colony, in Márquez’s view, Puerto Rico can’t fix U.S. policies that are not in its favor, so the Island continues in the strange position of an unincorporated territory, with none of the power of a State or a country.

32 current states were territories before they became states, so being a territory clearly can be part of the pathway to statehood… but Puerto Rico has been a territory for long enough.

rexlunae

I'm not taking anything for granted.

You are. You're just too thick to think it through.

A hospital requires at least a few hundred kilowatts of generation capability.

Here's a convertion table for your reference
http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/Diesel_Fuel_Consumption.aspx

So, at minimum, you need to supply it with dozens of gallons of diesel fuel per hour. Which means that if you are going to just send a janitor with a pale, you need to build a bucket brigade from the nearest running fuel station to the generator that can continuously provide fuel at that speed. And that assumes that you can get there. And it's going to be extremely labor-intensive, at a time when a lot of staff won't make it to work because they are stuck somewhere else, and the demands on them are extra high.

And you have to hope that the gas station doesn't run out of fuel. Because this could absolutely run them out of fuel, and there may not be any supply trucks for a while.

It just. Isn't. Practical.

Your provided link showed that the gas stations were up and running before the hurricane.
Not only that some of them are still up and running, I thought you said you had been watchin' the news.

You are such a massive blowhard.

So no, it doesn't show how unprepared I would of been.
Evidently it must reflect on you as you're the one with all the empathy towards laziness and/or stupidity.

I don't mind helping stupid but lazy whiners would be hard to put up with.

I really hope it happens to you so you can find out and learn how unprepared you would "of" been.

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
:liberals: That doesn't make it fake...

Google is your friend

Puerto Rico is neither a State nor a country, but a territory of the United States. Some people might say that it is in fact a colony of the United States.

A colony is an area that is controlled by a country, but which is not in that country. It is usually understood to be distant from the country that controls it, and people from the controlling country usually settle in the colony. A number of different European countries, for example, had colonies in what is now the United States. Puerto Rico was a colony of Spain before the United States gained control over it.

Joaquín A. Márquez is one of those who believe that Puerto Rico is essentially a colony of the United States. In his statement submitted to the United States House of Representatives Committee on Natural Resources Subcommittee of Indian, Insular and Alaska Native Affairs Oversight Hearing, he explained the effects of the colonial nature of Puerto Rico’s relationship with the U.S.

Spoiler
After World War II and the founding of the United Nations, a great universal movement to end colonialism was begun by the international community,” he explained. The U.N. developed a list of “non-self-governing” areas — in other words, colonies. The U.N. established a special committee which calls out the owners of these modern colonies. The United States was embarrassed to see Puerto Rico included on that list.

It’s hard to be a champion of independence and democracy while also owning a colony.

“In 1952, partially in response to pressure from this movement,” Márquez continued, “the Truman Administration allowed the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico to be established. While it provided a measure of local self-government, the island remained as an unincorporated territory subject to the full plenary powers of Congress under Article IV, Section 3 of the United States Constitution. By establishing a locally self-governing territory, the United States was able to remove Puerto Rico from the United Nation’s list of colonies and stop further criticism by the world community.”

This was especially important at that point in history. The “Cold War” between the United States and the Soviet Union was at its height at that time. The U.S. wanted the world to see Puerto Rico as a showcase for American policies.

“The United States government wanted to draw a contrast between its successful stewardship of Puerto Rico and the Soviet Union’s floundering stewardship of Fidel Castro’s Cuba,” said Márquez. “While Puerto Rico enjoyed great economic progress and a vibrant democracy, Cuba languished under a hard dictatorship and a failed economic system.”

The United Nations continues to call on the United States to provide a permanent status for Puerto Rico, and the U.S. continues to ignore those calls.

But the U.S. has also changed the policies that let Puerto Rico look, temporarily, like a success story for the U.S. “These special privileges simply masked the colony’s intrinsic flaw – the insidious poison of colonialism, said Márquez. “The economic and political model on which it is based simply is not sustainable in the long-run.”

As a colony, in Márquez’s view, Puerto Rico can’t fix U.S. policies that are not in its favor, so the Island continues in the strange position of an unincorporated territory, with none of the power of a State or a country.

32 current states were territories before they became states, so being a territory clearly can be part of the pathway to statehood… but Puerto Rico has been a territory for long enough.

:chuckle:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It is

The current political status of Puerto Rico is the result of various political activities within both the United States and Puerto Rican governments. Politically, Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the United States, which according to the U.S. Supreme Court's Insular Cases is "a territory appurtenant and belonging to the United States, but not a part of the United States within the revenue clauses of the Constitution."[1][2] The basic question regarding this issue is whether Puerto Rico should remain a U.S. territory, become a U.S. state or become an independent country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Puerto_Rico

rexlunae

:chuckle:

The commonwealth status doesn't fundamentally alter the relation between Puerto Rico and the United States. On paper at least, Puerto Rico is fully subject to the whims of Congress, where they have no meaningful representation. Now, this is a tolerable situation, perhaps, as long as Congress exercises that authority in a way that is fair and responsible, but the fact remains that Congress can mess with Puerto Rico in ways that would be pretty colonial. And if the island is left to fend for itself in a crisis that demands the attention of a national government, especially if it favors the main power, the arrangement looks pretty colonial. I would say that both in the case of the non-response to Maria, and also the (lack of) handling of the debt crisis by Congress both count as colonial mismanagement.

Last edited:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
You are. You're just too thick to think it through.

A hospital requires at least a few hundred kilowatts of generation capability.

Here's a convertion table for your reference
http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/Diesel_Fuel_Consumption.aspx

So, at minimum, you need to supply it with dozens of gallons of diesel fuel per hour. Which means that if you are going to just send a janitor with a pale, you need to build a bucket brigade from the nearest running fuel station to the generator that can continuously provide fuel at that speed. And that assumes that you can get there. And it's going to be extremely labor-intensive, at a time when a lot of staff won't make it to work because they are stuck somewhere else, and the demands on them are extra high.

It just. Isn't. Practical.

Generators don't run full capacity 24/7.

According to the chart you provided a 300 kilowatt generator burns 11.3 gallons an hour at half capacity.

Full capacity on the chart is 21.5, where you gettin' dozens?

I looked up 300 KW generators and they have a 555 gallon tank.

Divide that by 11.3 and you have a little over 49 hours run time.

Now surely a hospital has at least a thousand gallons around in a storage tank in close proximity to the generator.

We are now up to 6 days of run time.

Now if they needed more which they didn't, as all the hospitals' back up power was and is still up and running, another ten 55 gallon drums could have been filled and easily dumped in to the storage tank.

With two weeks advance notice that's less than shaggin' a barrel a day.

I've got a dozen of em empty and not being used myself.

So why on earth would you be thinkin' I meant a pail when I said containers?

You are such a massive blowhard.

Actually it is you who in your zeal to blame Trump for people dying in hospitals due to lack of fuel that is an exaggeration.
It ain't happenin'.
You should really quit tryin' to make the Puerto Ricans look like idiots.

I really hope it happens to you so you can find out and learn how unprepared you would "of" been.

Now there's the first truthful thing you've said so far. :thumb:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Generators don't run full capacity 24/7.

According to the chart you provided a 300 kilowatt generator burns 11.3 gallons an hour at half capacity.

Full capacity on the chart is 21.5, where you gettin' dozens?

I looked up 300 KW generators and they have a 555 gallon tank.

Divide that by 11.3 and you have a little over 49 hours run time.

Now surely a hospital has at least a thousand gallons around in a storage tank in close proximity to the generator.

We are now up to 6 days of run time.

Now if they needed more which they didn't, as all the hospitals' back up power was and is still up and running, another ten 55 gallon drums could have been filled and easily dumped in to the storage tank.

With two weeks advance notice that's less than shaggin' a barrel a day.

I've got a dozen of em empty and not being used myself.

So why on earth would you be thinkin' I meant a pail when I said containers?

Actually it is you who in your zeal to blame Trump for people dying in hospitals due to lack of fuel that is an exaggeration.
It ain't happenin'.
So quit tryin' to make the Puerto Ricans look like idiots.

Now there's the first truthful thing you've sad so far. :thumb:
rexlunae really hopes it happens to you. That's the nasty leftist mentality pervading the country. It's worse than racism.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Puerto rico suave went bankrupt under Michelle and barakzabub. Now they wanna cry to Trump. No, I think we should send in some MAGA hats with the supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danoh

The commonwealth status doesn't fundamentally alter the relation between Puerto Rico and the United States. On paper at least, Puerto Rico is fully subject to the whims of Congress, where they have no meaningful representation. Now, this is a tolerable situation, perhaps, as long as Congress exercises that authority in a way that is fair and responsible, but the fact remains that Congress can mess with Puerto Rico in ways that would be pretty colonial. And if the island is left to fend for itself in a crisis that demands the attention of a national government, especially if it favors the main power, the arrangement looks pretty colonial. I would say that both in the case of the non-response to Maria, and also the (lack of) handling of the debt crisis by Congress both count as colonial mismanagement.

From day one, "The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico" has been as much an actual depiction of said designation, as the designation "President Trump" has been an actual depiction of said "President" from day one - in name only.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Bad:

“I told Rex Tillerson, our wonderful Secretary of State, that he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man,” Trump wrote on Twitter, using his sarcastic nickname for Kim and seeming to contradict the top U.S. diplomat.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Bad:

“I told Rex Tillerson, our wonderful Secretary of State, that he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man,” Trump wrote on Twitter, using his sarcastic nickname for Kim and seeming to contradict the top U.S. diplomat.

Blow kimchee away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Apparently there are 78 mayors in Puerto Rico. 77 of them didn't complain. Neither did the governor.

puertorico915.png

Why makes "The Donald" think that just by sitting behind his desk in the Oval Office, he knows more about the current situation in Puerto Rico than those on the island!

We know that there are almost 10 000 containers siting on the San Juan docks with trucks that lack the drivers and fuel to get them to those in need!

Millions of people can only go without refrigerated food and a safe water supply for so long before experiencing the outbreak of those kinds of diseases - usually associated with the 3rd world!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.