Trump: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodge

Arpaio admitted to breaking the law, dodge. His defense was that he and his deputies didn't realize they were doing it, that the one judge's orders weren't altogether clear.

The trier of fact responded to Arpaio's defense by holding that he,"willfully violated the order by failing to do anything to ensure his subordinates' compliance and by directing them to continue to detain persons for whom no criminal charges could be filed."

From an Atlantic article on the topic:

[FONT=&]
In her 14-page ruling, Bolton...wrote that “testimony shows that Defendant knew of the order and what the order meant in regards to the [Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office] policy of detaining persons who did not have state charges for turnover to [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] for civil immigration violations. Despite this knowledge, Defendant broadcast to the world and to his subordinates that he would and they should continue ‘what he had always been doing.’”
[/FONT]
[FONT=&]
[/FONT]
And there's this disturbing side bar on Joe's tactics and respect for the chain of command:

[FONT=&]
In May 2014, a deputy on Arpaio’s immigration-sweep team who’d been arrested on drug charges hung himself on his pool table, leaving behind a video-taped suicide note in which he threatened to expose the sheriff’s office. Deputies department wide, including those on the immigration-sweep team, had made thousands of audio and video recordings of traffic stops and never turned them over to plaintiffs in the Melendres case. When investigators searched the dead deputy’s home, they found some of these recordings and, along with drugs and illegal weapons, hundreds of stolen IDs, Mexican passports, licenses, Social Security cards, all believed to have been confiscated during traffic stops and deliberately hidden. Judge Snow asked Arpaio to turn over the tapes, as well as those from recorded interactions with deputies across the department, and to gather them quietly to avoid tempting deputies to destroy or lose evidence. Instead, Arpaio’s office sent out a mass email alerting supervisors.
[/FONT]

Everyone knows it is all about the demon rats building up their voter base. IF the folks walking in from Mexico were conservatives the wall would have been built years ago.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Everyone knows it is all about the demon rats building up their voter base. IF the folks walking in from Mexico were conservatives the wall would have been built years ago.
See, when you write something like "demon rats" you just end up looking goofy, dodge.

Meanwhile, Republican John McCain weighs in on the pardon and to the point:

“No one is above the law and the individuals entrusted with the privilege of being sworn law officers should always seek to be beyond reproach in their commitment to fairly enforcing the laws they swore to uphold,”​
McCain said in the statement. “Mr. Arpaio was found guilty of criminal contempt for continuing to illegally profile Latinos living in Arizona based on their perceived immigration status in violation of a judge’s orders. The President has the authority to make this pardon, but doing so at this time undermines his claim for the respect of rule of law as Mr. Arpaio has shown no remorse for his actions.”

That.

dodge

See, when you write something like "demon rats" you just end up looking goofy, dodge.

Meanwhile, Republican John McCain weighs in on the pardon and to the point:

“No one is above the law and the individuals entrusted with the privilege of being sworn law officers should always seek to be beyond reproach in their commitment to fairly enforcing the laws they swore to uphold,”​
McCain said in the statement. “Mr. Arpaio was found guilty of criminal contempt for continuing to illegally profile Latinos living in Arizona based on their perceived immigration status in violation of a judge’s orders. The President has the authority to make this pardon, but doing so at this time undermines his claim for the respect of rule of law as Mr. Arpaio has shown no remorse for his actions.”

That.

What an endorsement ! John McCain would have been convicted of treason if he had not been pardoned by Nixon. He himself is a crook.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What an endorsement ! John McCain would have been convicted of treason if he had not been pardoned by Nixon. He himself is a crook.
So, now it's demonrats out of the opposition and traitors out of POWs. That's swell. Good luck with that additional bit of nuttery, dodge. In the meantime, the sheriff ran afoul of one judge's order and had due process.

On McCain, from a Snopes look at the specious distortions parroted here by someone who should know better:

Here's the Snopes:

Nearly twenty-five years later, what Senator McCain said to Mike Wallace during an interview for a segment of the 60 Minutes news magazine (originally broadcast on 12 October 1997 and aired again on 6 June 1999) was not a personal declaration that he had been a “war criminal” who “bombed innocent women and children,” but a lamentation that while a POW he had, under pain of torture, finally allowed his captors to coerce him into issuing a “confession” stating such.

WALLACE: (Voiceover) People who know McCain well say he can hold a grudge. He also has a legendary temper. But if McCain can be hard on his friends and even harder on his enemies, he can also be very hard on himself.​

Sen. McCAIN: I made serious, serious mistakes and did things wrong when I was in prison, OK?
WALLACE: What did you do wrong in prison?
Sen. McCAIN: I wrote a confession. I was guilty of war crimes against the Vietnamese people. I intentionally bombed women and children.
WALLACE: And you did it because you were being tortured and you’d reached the end of the line?
Sen. McCAIN: Yes. But I should have gone further. I should have — I never believed that I would — that I would break, and I did.

In early 2017, related rumors about McCain began recirculating alongside media coverage of his opposition to some of incoming President Trump’s actions, with videos and memes on social media asserting that McCain would have been tried upon his release from captivity were it not for a pardon granted by President Richard Nixon:

Those who promulgate the “pardon” aspect of McCain rumors never cite a single piece of evidence documenting that such a pardon was extended to McCain, save for occasional vague references to the notion that McCain was supposedly one of a group of 33 Vietnam-era POWs who were collectively granted pardons.

That. Here's a link to the larger article.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
. . . he was the back seat driver.

People who voted for Trump are scrambling every which way they can to claim what Trump isn't - but he is. He really is.
. . . "Alt-left."
I like him. I like him as president, and I like him as a businessman. He's not my moral leader, that'd be Jesus. He is in the WH to represent the United States in negotiations with other countries, and that's what he's been hired to do, among other things, and I think he represents US well. I also want to see laws passed to force all future POTUSs to use social media as regularly as he is the model president in terms of openness and communication frequency with Americans and with the world, and has set the precedent for all of them. He is the most powerful person in the whole world, and I sure do like knowing what he's thinking about at all times, given all that power.
. . . One of the things I love about President Trump, is that we absolutely know that he is not holding anything back from us. President Bush played that part well, though he did withhold plenty from us, but if President Trump is doing that, he is way smarter than me, because I can't see any trickery; I think he means what he says, and twitters.
I know that people are uncomfortable with President Trump, and that's OK with me. Not making people uncomfortable, is not a metric upon which I judge the job performance of a president of the United States.
Exactly!
:cheers:
One of the things that it means, that we see the Lord as our first and foremost moral authority and moral leader, is that name-calling and mocking is not immoral; it cannot be, because both His Apostles, and the Lord Himself, engaged in name-calling and mocking.

That's pretty awesome.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

One of the things that it means, that we see the Lord as our first and foremost moral authority and moral leader, is that name-calling and mocking is not immoral; it cannot be, because both His Apostles, and the Lord Himself, engaged in name-calling and mocking.

That's pretty awesome.

Actually, that's pretty lame. I'm pretty sure you didn't learn that in a Catholic catechism class.

And name-calling isn't the same as incitement to violence, which is what the back-seat driver cartoon was illustrating, using Trump's actual words.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
There's a massive difference, starting with the Pope's "bridges not walls" approach to the treatment of immigrants.

But I'll leave you to believe what you want to believe.
The Vatican is surrounded by a wall though. Why the hypocrisy? The future President won that altercation easily. His holiness Pope Francis was humiliated, respectfully.

dodge

So, now it's demonrats out of the opposition and traitors out of POWs. That's swell. Good luck with that additional bit of nuttery, dodge. In the meantime, the sheriff ran afoul of one judge's order and had due process.

On McCain, from a Snopes look at the specious distortions parroted here by someone who should know better:

Here's the Snopes:

Nearly twenty-five years later, what Senator McCain said to Mike Wallace during an interview for a segment of the 60 Minutes news magazine (originally broadcast on 12 October 1997 and aired again on 6 June 1999) was not a personal declaration that he had been a “war criminal” who “bombed innocent women and children,” but a lamentation that while a POW he had, under pain of torture, finally allowed his captors to coerce him into issuing a “confession” stating such.

WALLACE: (Voiceover) People who know McCain well say he can hold a grudge. He also has a legendary temper. But if McCain can be hard on his friends and even harder on his enemies, he can also be very hard on himself.​

Sen. McCAIN: I made serious, serious mistakes and did things wrong when I was in prison, OK?
WALLACE: What did you do wrong in prison?
Sen. McCAIN: I wrote a confession. I was guilty of war crimes against the Vietnamese people. I intentionally bombed women and children.
WALLACE: And you did it because you were being tortured and you’d reached the end of the line?
Sen. McCAIN: Yes. But I should have gone further. I should have — I never believed that I would — that I would break, and I did.

In early 2017, related rumors about McCain began recirculating alongside media coverage of his opposition to some of incoming President Trump’s actions, with videos and memes on social media asserting that McCain would have been tried upon his release from captivity were it not for a pardon granted by President Richard Nixon:

Those who promulgate the “pardon” aspect of McCain rumors never cite a single piece of evidence documenting that such a pardon was extended to McCain, save for occasional vague references to the notion that McCain was supposedly one of a group of 33 Vietnam-era POWs who were collectively granted pardons.

That. Here's a link to the larger article.

You do know Snopes is a liberal rag right ? The reason McCains records are not public knowledge is because those records were sealed when McCain became a Senator. Accounts of men that were in prison ( Hanoi Hilton ) in Viet Nam with "songbird McCain" he was a rat and a traitor.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
President Obama’s former communications director Dan Pfeiffer blasted President Trump over a report that he had asked Attorney General Jeff Sessions to drop the federal criminal case against Sheriff Joe Arpaio, saying if the report is true, Trump could be impeached.

“Asking the Attorney General to drop a case against a political ally is the kind of thing people get impeached for,” Pfeiffer tweeted Saturday.

The Washington Post reported earlier Saturday that Trump had asked Sessions to drop the case against Arpaio, who was a surrogate for Trump on the campaign trail.

Trump decided that he would pardon Arpaio if the sheriff was found guilty in the federal case, after advisers warned him against dropping the charges.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You do know Snopes is a liberal rag right ?
No, I don't and neither do you. You may believe it, but that's something else. It's a neat if protective circle.

But it doesn't matter if you don't have the facts to make your case against McCain. Then it's just another thing you "know" but can't actually prove.

The reason McCains records are not public knowledge is because those records were sealed when McCain became a Senator. Accounts of men that were in prison ( Hanoi Hilton ) in Viet Nam with "songbird McCain" he was a rat and a traitor.
Politifact looked into that one.

"We were all tortured and we wrote confessions under the pressure of torture," said Swindle, who was a cellmate with McCain and is active in his campaign. "John McCain never collaborated with the enemy. He, like every one of us, submitted to severe torture. John McCain did nothing dishonorable. He was heroic."

Day, a Medal of Honor winner who also is supporting McCain's campaign, said the flyer is "the most outrageous [redacted] lie I've ever heard."

Politifact calls the allegations firmly in the pants on fire category.

Link

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
But it doesn't matter if you don't have the facts to make your case against McCain. Then it's just another thing you "know" but can't actually prove.

Politifact looked into that one.

"We were all tortured and we wrote confessions under the pressure of torture," said Swindle, who was a cellmate with McCain and is active in his campaign. "John McCain never collaborated with the enemy. He, like every one of us, submitted to severe torture. John McCain did nothing dishonorable. He was heroic."
Day, a Medal of Honor winner who also is supporting McCain's campaign, said the flyer is "the most outrageous [redacted] lie I've ever heard.

Thanks for posting this.

How easy it is for those who have never been tortured to exact superhumanness from those who have.

Just when I think some here can't go any lower, they show their capability to do just that.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The Vatican is surrounded by a wall though.

A wall that was there long before this Pope, and one that has many large openings through which anyone who behaves himself may walk without submitting passport or other paperwork.

Yes, the Vatican does have walls, and some are quite large. But anyone can stroll through the Pope's front yard -- St. Peter's Square -- at nearly any time. Only metal detectors stand between the iconic landmark and the millions of tourists who come to see the historic headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church.
In other words, Vatican City may have walls, but the front door is always open, said the Rev. James Martin, a Catholic priest and editor at large at America magazine.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/18/world/vatican-walls/index.html

9435b0b4a7687a0818c8af930c8b1567--vatican-city-gates.jpg

Are you telling us that is the wall Trump is planning to build? A wall anyone can walk through at any time, without visa or evidence of citizenship?

Why the hypocrisy?

Because conservatives roll that way. Nice try.

The future President won that altercation easily.

He was exposed as an ignorant buffoon. Again.

His holiness Pope Francis was humiliated, respectfully.

For an American, the proper address is "Mr. President." And his name is Donald.

The real iron here, is that The Vatican, with about 1000 permanent residents, took in about 20 Syrian refugees.

If the United States had admitted a proportional number, we would have taken in millions of them.

I can't believe anyone actually fell for that story about Vatican walls.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
‘Arizona Republic’ Slams Arpaio Pardon: Trump Made It Clear Racism ‘Is A Goal’
Arizona’s largest newspaper on Friday slammed Donald Trump for using his first presidential pardon to absolve former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio of a criminal contempt of court conviction.

Arpaio was found guilty in July of violating a court order to cease racially profiling Latinos for detention based on suspicions about immigration status.

Trump relieved a valuable political ally of the criminal charge: Arpaio endorsed him for President way back in January 2016, and Trump has said Arpaio’s harsh detention tactics — including housing hundreds of inmates in the intense Arizona sun and relying heavily on solitary confinement — were models for the nation.

The editorial board of the Arizona Republic, the paper that most closely followed Arpaio’s 24-year career as sheriff, eviscerated the decision.

“This erases any doubt about whether Trump meant to empower them after the violence in Charlottesville,” the board’s editorial read, referring to “immigration hardliners and nationalists in Trump’s base.”
. . . .
Arpaio was known for his extreme treatment of undocumented immigrants. Aside from his pattern of racially profiling motorists who he and his deputies suspected were undocumented, he once segregated undocumented immigrants in his outdoor “Tent City” detention center, surrounding them with electrified fence.
. . . .
“Arpaio was a lawman who scorned his duty to treat all people equally,” the Arizona Republic wrote Friday. “He made it law enforcement policy to profile people based on their heritage.”

The editorial concluded: “By pardoning Arpaio, Trump made it clear that institutional racism is not just OK with him. It is a goal. That should trouble every American who believes that our duty as a nation is to continue working on behalf of equal justice.”

Status
Not open for further replies.