Trump impeachment

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
And in that entire fantasy you don't even try to guess what his crime might be.
With Trump associates repeatedly being charged/pleading guilty to lying to the FBI, one can only assume that there is something more than a "fantasy" that they are trying to cover up!

... rationality is not necessary to satisfy trump derangement syndrome fantasies
Please explain as to why this President's decision to shut down the American government after stating repeatedly that only Mexico would be paying for THE WALL qualifies as a rational act - given that he also had Republican majorities in both Houses of Congress for the past 2 years?

Keep in mind that it was this White House, in its infinite wisdom, that turned down a Democratic offer in January 2018 to provide $25 billion for a wall in exchange for keeping the government operating and legislation providing a pathway to citizenship for DREAMERS!

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
What if he's actually innocent?

In recent weeks, a new consensus has emerged among many legal analysts and observers: Special counsel Robert Mueller is finally closing in on President Trump. This could be correct, but at present, it is still mostly conjecture. There remains a real possibility that Mueller will come up empty, at least in connection with President Donald Trump, his family, and high-level advisers.
Neither liberals nor conservatives have adequately considered this prospect. They should.
For liberals, it is an article of faith that Mueller will produce a damning report if only he is allowed to complete his investigation. Conservatives dispute this, but their incessant attacks on Mueller suggest a far more pessimistic outlook. Why try to destroy the man who is about to exonerate you?

This view is broadly shared for a reason. By historical standards, Mueller has run an extraordinarily effective and efficient investigation. He has already indicted dozens of Russian nationals for meddling in the 2016 election. More important, he has negotiated plea agreements with senior officials from Trump's campaign, including Paul Manafort's protégé, Rick Gates, and retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn. Experienced prosecutors enter such agreements only when a witness can offer significant ammunition against higher-value targets.
If it does, liberals are sure to be despondent. Many of them have been counting on Robert Mueller to rescue them from the waking nightmare of Trump's presidency. As long as he is on the case, they have had at least one reason for hope. Conservatives, by contrast, will feel gleefully vindicated. It is easy to imagine Trump gloating for weeks, even years, at his rallies and on Twitter.

Both sides would be wrong.
If there was no collusion and no obstruction, the irony is that Trump could have avoided all of this -- the damage to the rule of law and to his presidency -- by cooperating fully and letting Mueller's probe run its course. If future presidents take any lesson away from Trump, let us hope it is this one.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/03/opinions/mueller-investigation-could-surprise-us-coan/index.html

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
He would have hid his affairs if he wasn't running for President

He's been a blatant adulterer, and has not tried to hide it in the past.

Unless he was stupid enough to do it with campaign funds but being a billionaire he probably has a couple hundred thousand in the change jar on his nightstand.

Doesn't matter what funds Cohen and Pecker used. They have admitted what they did to hide the affairs were intended to keep them from affecting the election.

And that's a felony. Of course, Trump can claim that they are both lying. Then it comes down to evidence and a jury, if it comes to that.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
He would have hid his affairs if he wasn't running for President so I don't see that dog hunting. Unless he was stupid enough to do it with campaign funds but being a billionaire he probably has a couple hundred thousand in the change jar on his nightstand.
The "affairs" which Trump has denied took place when Melania was pregnant with Barron (born March 20, 2006), but Michael Cohen waited until just weeks before the 2016 Presidential Election before making the "hush-money" payments!

The source of the money is immaterial, Cohen and Pecker will both testify that it was paid for the express purpose of buying the silence of these women during the campaign - which qualifies as a deliberate unreported campaign contributions!

WizardofOz

London still nonetheless has less homicide.
I see that people have found this one exception and want to cling on to it hoping that it will distract what is otherwise true for much the rest of the world.
London is a unique problem, not some rebuttal.

London was referenced by another poster earlier in the thread.

What other data are you referring to?

Criminals will steal guns when they can't obtain them legally, and most often that's exactly what they do.

Most often? Again, cite this.

And again, as I said earlier, owners should have their weapons secure where they are not easily stolen; gun safes, etc.

There's hundreds of thousands of times per year guns are reported missing. That's sort of the issue with any solution merely being 'arm John Q Citizen' because John Q is more likely to have them stolen rather than actually using them.

Not exactly a reason to ban them outright though, is it? Don't blame law abiding citizens for the acts of criminals.

What does common sense gun control look like to you?

Danoh

What if he's actually innocent?

In recent weeks, a new consensus has emerged among many legal analysts and observers: Special counsel Robert Mueller is finally closing in on President Trump. This could be correct, but at present, it is still mostly conjecture. There remains a real possibility that Mueller will come up empty, at least in connection with President Donald Trump, his family, and high-level advisers.
Neither liberals nor conservatives have adequately considered this prospect. They should.
For liberals, it is an article of faith that Mueller will produce a damning report if only he is allowed to complete his investigation. Conservatives dispute this, but their incessant attacks on Mueller suggest a far more pessimistic outlook. Why try to destroy the man who is about to exonerate you?

This view is broadly shared for a reason. By historical standards, Mueller has run an extraordinarily effective and efficient investigation. He has already indicted dozens of Russian nationals for meddling in the 2016 election. More important, he has negotiated plea agreements with senior officials from Trump's campaign, including Paul Manafort's protégé, Rick Gates, and retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn. Experienced prosecutors enter such agreements only when a witness can offer significant ammunition against higher-value targets.
If it does, liberals are sure to be despondent. Many of them have been counting on Robert Mueller to rescue them from the waking nightmare of Trump's presidency. As long as he is on the case, they have had at least one reason for hope. Conservatives, by contrast, will feel gleefully vindicated. It is easy to imagine Trump gloating for weeks, even years, at his rallies and on Twitter.

Both sides would be wrong.
If there was no collusion and no obstruction, the irony is that Trump could have avoided all of this -- the damage to the rule of law and to his presidency -- by cooperating fully and letting Mueller's probe run its course. If future presidents take any lesson away from Trump, let us hope it is this one.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/03/opinions/mueller-investigation-could-surprise-us-coan/index.html

Should be interesting what comes out of those major charges of corruption against Burke over in Chicago.

For decades now, Burke has been known as a crooked fixer ever in on every major pay for play scam in the Windy City.

He helped Trump secure a major tax abatement for that building in Chicago that bears Trump's name.

Already, several very powerful people in Chicago politics presently gearing up to run for office in hopes of replacing outgoing Mayor, the ever cunning Rahm Emanuel, have had to reconsider their run, due to their connection with Burke - the man was a major player within every shady aspect of Chicago's long infamous political machine of graft.

Power Players within every aspect of Chicago Politics are in for one long train ride of endlessly sleepless nights.

The man is that well connected to them all, and vice-versa.

Then again, that crook Pritzger (family did that Grand Hyatt project with Trump, back in the day) is now Governor, and he too was in bed with Burke.

Not that such a seeming ace in his pocket kept Governor Bladgoivich from prison.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I believe Mueller is interested in his own prosecutions first. I think the goal was always those damning tax returns, that show Trump to be Putin's godfather.

It appears that the relationship works the other way. When they were sitting together, it was pretty clear by Trump's slumped shoulders and quiet demeanor that Putin was his daddy.

Crucifer

BANNED
Banned
No, you made the statement, back it up.

The FBI is supposed to only be concerned with federal matters, but in almost it's entire existence it has spent most of it's time involved with state issues.
Why?
Because Hoover made crimes a federal matter after they cross state lines, which has completely screwed up the separation of state and gov't power since.

WizardofOz

The issue with the US, I believe, is the level of gun saturation.

Americans own nearly half world's guns in civilian hands

Americans make up 4 percent of the world’s population but owned about 46 percent of the estimated 857 million weapons in civilian hands at the end of 2017, a survey showed on Monday.

The Small Arms Survey, an independent global research project based in Geneva, Switzerland, found that there were more than 1 billion firearms in the world, of which civilians owned 85 percent, while the rest were held by militaries or law enforcement agencies.

Some interesting data :think:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Americans own nearly half world's guns in civilian hands

Americans make up 4 percent of the world’s population but owned about 46 percent of the estimated 857 million weapons in civilian hands at the end of 2017, a survey showed on Monday.

The Small Arms Survey, an independent global research project based in Geneva, Switzerland, found that there were more than 1 billion firearms in the world, of which civilians owned 85 percent, while the rest were held by militaries or law enforcement agencies.

Some interesting data :think:

i have several guns of various types that i don't use, can't use, won't use - stuff i've accumulated over the years - i actually dropped one in the trash just this morning

but i'm reluctant to get rid of them - they don't have any salable value, but i have money invested in them and memories

i wonder how many other gun owners are in a similar situation?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I hope you broke it beyond repair...

that's why i threw it out - it was a cheapie pistol that came with one of my airguns this summer as a freebie, lots of fun to shoot for a week or so until something broke internally, took it apart enough to realize it wasn't worth fixing and had it on my desk until i got tired of shuffling papers around it this morning - the kind of gun kids get shot by the cops for playing with

one of these:

621093m3_ts.jpg

and my trash is triple bagged, so it won't surface