ECT True or False?: The Spiritual Dead Cannot Contribute to Receiving Spiritual Life

beloved57

They can believe the gospel because it comes in power and in much assurance and in the Holy Spirit (1 Th.1:5).

Sorry not to the unregenerate. It comes to the born again in power and in much assurance and in the Holy Spirit. The natural man cannot and doesn't receive the things of the Spirit of God.

Jerry Shugart

Sorry not to the unregenerate. It comes to the born again in power and in much assurance and in the Holy Spirit. The natural man cannot and doesn't receive the things of the Spirit of God.

Are you not even aware that in order to be born of God one must believe the gospel?:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23,25).​

beloved57

Are you not even aware that in order to be born of God one must believe the gospel?:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23,25).​

You can not believe the Gospel without having been born again. One is born of God by the Spirit not by the Gospel. One can not even hear the word of God if they're not of God, already shown the verses.

Jerry Shugart

You can not believe the Gospel without having been born again. One is born of God by the Spirit not by the Gospel. One can not even hear the word of God if they're not of God, already shown the verses.

Is English your second language? It must be because you can't even understand that it is believing the "word of God," the "gospel," which results in a person being born again:

beloved57

Is English your second language? It must be because you can't even understand that it is believing the "word of God," the "gospel," which results in a person being born again:

One must be of God to hear the word of God. Already answered.

Jerry Shugart

The scripture IS an/the answer to "spiritual death". As far as timing (if there is any) and what comes first or happens first or any of that stuff...what does it really matter?

It matters plenty. For instance, the Lord Jesus said the following:

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (Jn.6:63).​

Since a person receives spiritual life by believing His words then that same person had to be dead spiritually prior to believing His words.

But the Calvinists throw their reason to the wind and argue that a person is alive spiritually before believing His words. They are confused because they don't understand that in order for anyone to be made alive spiritually that same person must first be dead spiritually.

beloved57

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (Jn.6:63).​

Since a person receives spiritual life by believing His words then that same person had to be dead spiritually prior to believing His words.

But the Calvinists throw their reason to the wind and argue that a person is alive spiritually before believing His words. They are confused because they don't understand that in order for anyone to be made alive spiritually that same person must first be dead spiritually.

Where does it say a person receives spiritual life by believing Jesus words?

beloved57

J's

A person receives spiritual life by the Spirit quickening. That's the New Birth.

Jerry Shugart

You are as blind as a bat because you've seen the following words of the Lord Jesus more than once:

You can't understand what He said there because you resist the Holy Spirit:

"Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye" (Acts 7:51).​

Last edited:

beloved57

You are as blind as a bat because you've seen the following words of the Lord Jesus more than once:

You can't understand what He said there because you resist the Holy Spirit:

"Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye" (Acts 7:51).​

Lol scripture never said that. That's your imposition on scripture.

Jerry Shugart

Would you please give me your interpretation of the meaning of the Lord Jesus' words here:

beloved57

Would you please give me your interpretation of the meaning of the Lord Jesus' words here:

beloved57

I have already given my input on that verse. Now show me where it says:

Jerry Shugart

beloved57

Already done. And you have failed to prove your false statement with scripture. That figures

fishrovmen

But the verse you quoted above says nothing about a persons pisteuo having anything to do with the quickening, the verse says it is THE spirit that quickens!

God's Truth

Calvinist R. C. Sproul wrote the following about people who are spiritually dead as a result of sin:

"To quicken a person who is spiritually dead is something that only God can do. A corpse cannot revive himself. It cannot even assist in the effort. It can only respond after receiving new life.

John Piper, another well known Calvinist, practically mirrors Sproul's teaching:

"You came into this world dead. Not sort of 'hard of hearing' towards the gospel, not simply crippled in good works, not struggling to keep your head above the waters of sin. You were dead: spiritually lifeless and unmoving. Everything that a dead corpse can contribute to becoming alive, you could do, spiritually, to believe in Christ. Nothing. Dead means dead (Ephesians 2:1-3)."

Is it true that those who are spiritually dead cannot assist in an effort to receive new life?

I say that those who are spiritually dead can contribute to becoming alive.

Comments?

The powerful message of Jesus dying on the cross for us draws us, and we draw near to God because of a better hope given, we hope in the perfection we receive through Jesus.

Those who don't want to come to the light don't want to stop their sin, they love their sin more.

God's Truth

What brought me to God was near death from heart failure caused by alcoholism. I woke one night and my heart was beating very hard. As I was drifting back to sleep when an inner voice told me "if you go back to sleep you will not wake up." I got up and was pacing back and forth in my Navy barracks room. I was afraid to leave the room. That voice came again and told me "get to a hospital now." I went to the barracks office and requested a ride to the ER. I was admiitted and spent 11 days in the mental/detox ward. I turned 40 years old in the the ward. I gave my life to God and never drank again. I believe many people get the chance to be saved by hitting rock bottom. They have to reach out and do what God tells them.

Right, they start to hate their sin. They don't love their sin anymore.

God's Truth

What I "knew" in my head not only did NOT in anyway contribute to spiritual life, it repelled me AWAY because my heart was dead. My heart would not agree with what my head "knew".
i have seen and talked to many people who actually WANT to be saved and say they CAN'T proving that even a pricked conscience does nothing to contribute to spiritual life, death is just that, death. When I myself was made alive from spiritual death I frequented an atheistic online forum such as this where several former pastors said that they could no longer "believe" and several said that they tried and just can't.
so, what is missing is just what the bible tells us is missing.
And that one external missing thing is the ONLY one thing that the bible tells us is needed, which in itself has everything necessary to begin, sustain and forever keep a person spiritually alive.
These are not my opinion, but biblical truths.

They "can't" get saved because they are lied to about HOW TO GET SAVED. They are told they don't have to do anything but believe. There is no such scripture in the Bible and it hinders people from being saved. Jesus tells us how to be the one he saves.