Transgenderism, sex and gender

Right Divider

Body part
Do you believe you have the right to tell people who assign themselves a different gender that they can't, or shouldn't do so? And if so, by what authority?
Let me point out, once again, that I said NO SUCH thing. Do you have a problem with people that have opinions different than your own?

In answer to your question, my current belief on the origin of humans is unsettled. More than that isn't necessary for this thread.
Whether God exists and created humans is central to any discussion of this kind.

PureX

I identify as a person who thinks you're full of it!
Well, you aren't allowed to define your own identity. No one is. Only I get to define your identity. That's the rule afforded to me by my superior righteousness, based on the authority of my superior moral religious beliefs.

PureX

… though when I pointed out that about 1 in 20,000 men are born without a Y chromosome, I was told to go to hell.
Well, maybe it was intended as some sort of sideways compliment, being that it came from someone who's heart already lives there.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Let me point out, once again, that I said NO SUCH thing.

Did I say you did? I asked a question, I didn't make an assertion.

Do you have a problem with people that have opinions different than your own?

No. Do you?

Whether God exists and created humans is central to any discussion of this kind.

You can discuss it all you want, I said my personal beliefs re: human origin aren't necessary to this discussion, and I don't plan to make them a part of it.

So did you want to answer my previous question?

HisServant

Oh, I think you do. And I think you take a lot of pleasure in it. For people who are really frightened of being 'in the wrong', Like fundamentalists in very authoritarian religious sects, feeling 'in the right' can be a very powerful lure. And this need for a 'fix of righteousness' abounds in many of the posts and threads here on TOL.

The questions asked are being answered. Some folks just don't like the answers they're getting because they're exposing willful ignorance (and often bigotry).

I'm no fundamentalist, I am a student of human behavior. I have no desire to impose or legislate my interpretation of morality on any one... that is between them and God.

As far as the current transgender issues, unless someone is born with a hybrid abnormal genome, medical science should not be encouraging self mutilation or hormone therapies to treat something that is primarily a mental disorder. No amount of surgery or hormone therapy can change their genetic makeup... if at some point in the future we are able to change someones genes, then that becomes a different story.

Right now, we have a bunch of people that dress up as the opposite sex and are basically acting like every day is Halloween.

That is the reality of the situation.

Right Divider

Body part
Did I say you did? I asked a question, I didn't make an assertion.
It sure sounded like it.

No. Do you?
No, as long as don't try to force me to believe it.

You can discuss it all you want, I said my personal beliefs re: human origin aren't necessary to this discussion, and I don't plan to make them a part of it.

So did you want to answer my previous question?
You can call yourself whatever you want. But if you call yourself a zucchini, you still will not be a zucchini.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It sure sounded like it.

Again, it was a question. If you choose not to answer it, that's fine, just don't mistake it for an assertion.

No, as long as don't try to force me to believe it.

Which I'm not doing.

You can call yourself whatever you want. But if you call yourself a zucchini, you still will not be a zucchini.

If you want to overlook the points I've tried to make re: intersex individuals and chromosomal differences, that's fine. I'll leave you to your gardening. :)

PureX

I have no desire to impose or legislate my interpretation of morality on any one... that is between them and God.
:up:

As far as the current transgender issues, unless someone is born with a hybrid abnormal genome, medical science should not be encouraging self mutilation or hormone therapies to treat something that is primarily a mental disorder. No amount of surgery or hormone therapy can change their genetic makeup... if at some point in the future we are able to change someones genes, then that becomes a different story.
But we don't experience our genetic makeup. We do experience hormonal deficiencies, imbalances, and intense emotional dissonances that result from them, and from psychological/biological disjuncture. So why should we "obey" our genetics to the exclusion of all these other factors and experiences? That doesn't seem reasonable, nor particularly humane.

Right now, we have a bunch of people that dress up as the opposite sex and are basically acting like every day is Halloween.
So what? It keeps life interesting for the rest of us.

That is the reality of the situation.
By the most fundamental definition of a human being; even ones accepted by religion, we humans are something greater than our biological animal form. We are also, and primarily, a complex consciousness inhabiting a biological animal form. Such that if for whatever reason our consciousness determines that our biology does not correspond with our cognitive "self", I think we should resolve the issue in favor of the transcendent conscious "self", unless in doing so we would destroy, or seriously risk destroying the biological/animal host.

I appreciate your point about self-mutilation, and I empathize, similarly. But ultimately I have to side with the human being's unalienable right to autonomous self-will. Without it, we cannot be fully human.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You're a racist.

You all don't even know what 'racism' is, apparently, having spammed the word so much that it's lost it's meaning. Everything is racist to you libs, everything is sexist to you libs, and everything is otherwise 'offensive' to you libs.

The difference between a child and an adult is that an adult can take criticism, or at the very least take in what they dish out. Guess where that puts you all?

:rolleyes:

Right Divider

Body part
Again, it was a question. If you choose not to answer it, that's fine, just don't mistake it for an assertion.

Which I'm not doing.

If you want to overlook the points I've tried to make re: intersex individuals and chromosomal differences, that's fine. I'll leave you to your gardening. :)
So cute.

So you think that there are more than two sexes and that gender is just whatever anyone thinks that they like to call themselves.

I'm fine with gender being completely ambiguous and arbitrary, but then don't try to turn around and call it something that has a meaning.

Jose Fly

Science says so... chromosomes determine someones sex, not how they dress or alter their bodies.

That's not what you initially asserted. Here it is again...

What medical science backs up any of that?

Right Divider

Body part
Is that in the Bible, or is it something you just made up? And exactly how does this work? God just decides to create some people more "fallen" at birth than others?
I'm agreeing with you that random mutations damage people in different ways and at different levels. Doesn't that fit within your worldview?

Then what are you complaining about?
I was not complaining. I was simply saying that everyone in the world can have their own "gender identity" if they want, but that does not mean that we all need to accept and "embrace" it.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
That's not what you initially asserted. Here it is again...

What medical science backs up any of that?
Facts back it up, what is your deal with medical science ? Common sense trumps science

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Ever notice that there are far more women than men who are friendly and outspoken towards homosexuals and transgenders? They are more likely to befriend them and defend them.

No doubt, it has much to do with a feeling of inferiority gone into being adversarial to a world intended for heterosexual men to lead. What is said in the media is not what their true intent is- they all intended to recondition society to a thought of thinking which is contrary to Christianity.

This is sort of the reason why I don't differentiate feminism from LGBT, or modern liberalism from social and familial lawlessness. It is all interconnected, but they don't want people to realize it- they want people to compartmentalize every branch of that tree so that the trunk won't get cut off.