TomO's POTD: Glenda on Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
This is my first POTD. :)

I am not one to select certain Posts to be held up; as if I am some sort of judge of what constitutes fine posting or something. This one particular post however strikes me as being worthy of more than what my poor ability to Pos. Rep. can afford.

Anyone who has made an extended run at the long sought after "Successful Marriage" can attest to the truthfulness and eloquence of this piece.

Glenda, my regards. :e4e:

I think the club we need to start is to give Traditio a reality check on marriage ... and the value of women ... and men :)

Traditio, please sit down and grit your teeth ... maybe have a stiff drink first because this may hurt a bit ... you ready?

wait for it ... sure you're ready ... or as ready as you'll ever be?

ohhhhhhhh

here goes ....

a woman in marriage is not about sex and housekeeping

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

can you get up and cope with reading on?
I'll just write a few tiny facts and you can come back and check on them as you are able .... sorry for the pain

Marriage is about hard work
ouch ouch ouch ouch ... dirty concept ... oh no!

Marriage is about both partners sharing the load and it's an increasingly large lifetime load.

oh heck no!!!!!!

It's about both partners going to work to try to secure a roof over heads and food in tummies.

It's about working long shifts so exhaustion often precludes romance and instead induces tired arguments.

It's about babies crying all night and lack of adult sleep and about hauling your tired body and bloodshot eyes off to work after sleepless nights and coming home to an overtired spouse who has just been puked on and loads of laundry and no cooked meal and endless chores and electricity bills and neighbours fighting.

It's about not always agreeing or feeling nice or smiling appreciatively at your tired aging spouse.

It's about working on compromises for the best of all.

It's about considering spouse as self and wanting the best for them as you would like for yourself. Should your spouse expect that her husband is going to be the housekeeper and be a sex-on-expectation-or-demand-supplier, whether that husband is exhausted and overloaded or not?

Marriage is about 'working-partnerships' and that work may happen in ways you wouldn't expect or currently respect.

Age is going to take its toll and you may be looking at attractive girls now, but go to an old-aged home and look at the women there who are in wheelchairs and drooling etc, because that's who you'll be married to not far from now ... yes because the years go faster with age and younger women will look more and more appealing to you!

Your kids are going to need schooling and money and more things than what you think you need. They'll need driving lessons and they'll have opportunities to get up to things you never dreamed of, since every generation is scarier ... they'll have drugs available which haven't even been invented yet and there will be new diseases and crime will be increased and you are going to have to find somewhere safe for your family.

Your kids won't always appreciate you and may treat you like you are stupid or dirt. Their education will be greater than yours as knowledge increases.

Why did Jesus discuss put-apart and divorce issues and why did the disciples say it's better to not get married if one can't opt out of marriage easily for any reason???????

Traditio, look way beyond appearances when you consider taking on a wife. Make sure the young woman is your FRIEND because THAT is the PRIMARY KEY to marriage! Friendship involves appreciation, care and respect which grows, while appearances, energy and desire fade. True friendship lasts for life and friends get better looking in each others eyes as they get older. It's true. They become more 'BEAUTIFUL' rather than 'hot' or 'cool' chics. Beauty is inside and grows in a good heart. Seek a friend who you appreciate and who appreciates you. Mature together. Have the same goals so you don't go in different directions ... make that goal to be the best people you can be together or apart ... rather than individualised selfish goals.

Marriage is hard ... but worth it if you do it right. Do it with a friend and share the load evenly ... be there to comfort and console each other and laugh and cry together. Be careful to not cause or suffer put/push-apart which is devastating.

ok spare son or grandson ... the gray-haired old woman has finished for now but hopefully you can get a man's view on things in someone else's post

us oldies aren't as stupid as you may think

take care young man, we wish the best for you

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Occasionally TOL turns up some awesome out of nowhere. That's one right there, definitely.

Can't even fairly say "out of nowhere". Glenda posts awesome with some consistency.

:thumb:

Traditio fancies himself a philosopher, so I'll pray he picks up some wisdom off this one.

elohiym

Wow! And I was feeling so good about my marriage until I read that.

I'm off to drink now...

;)

(Good pick Tom. I'll be sure to check next time you pick one, too, since you obviously can pick 'em.)

bybee

Well

Well

Wow! And I was feeling so good about my marriage until I read that.

I'm off to drink now...

;)

(Good pick Tom. I'll be sure to check next time you pick one, too, since you obviously can pick 'em.)

Don't you worry one bit! Your wife will defend you to the death! Even if she works hard to keep you in line! peace, bybee

Status
Not open for further replies.