Tom Ridge: I was a Republican governor of Pa. I’m voting for Joe Biden.

Truth7t7

In the 60s you couldn't even volunteer if you had asthma. It was automatically disqualifying. All asthmatics were 4-F. Drafted right after household pets.

On the other hand, bone spurs are almost always asymptomatic, and were never a disqualification unless a doctor certified they disabled a person.
Ole Joe claimed he had (Asthma) when dodging the draft 5 times?

Joe was a Lifeguard and Football Player before the draft and claims of (Asthma)?

Put on your detective cap, do you see anything wrong here?

1+1=3? :)

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Ole Joe claimed he had (Asthma) when dodging the draft 5 times?

Yep. Childhood asthma was an absolute disqualification for enlistment at that time. He would have been rejected even if he had volunteered. Today, he might have made it, with some limitations:

Since 2014, the Department of Defense has changed its medical qualification standards for recruits with cases of childhood asthma, or a history of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Children under the age of 13 can often be misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD issues, and any asthma since the age of 13 may still be disqualifying.

But waivers may be available to those with these conditions on a case-by-case basis.

Military Rules for Recruits with Asthma
Previously, any history of asthma was
disqualifying, regardless of age. While medical waivers were sometimes possible, waiver approval usually required scheduling and passing a pulmonary function test.

In the present day, asthma is only disqualifying if it occurs after the applicant’s 13th birthday. Some waivers were granted back then, but typically only for non-combat jobs.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ne...policy-3353970

Joe was a Lifeguard and Football Player before the draft and claims of (Asthma)?

Yep. I had a son who had severe asthma and played for a top soccer club in high school. And soccer is much more demanding on respiratory systems than most other sports. He missed an occasional game, and needed medication before and after he was playing. Asthma tends to be episodic, and when you don't have it, there's usually no problem at all.

Put on your detective cap, do you see anything wrong here?

Yep. See above. The evidence suggests you didn't know what you were talking about.

That was your argument. Now, you know better. Lt. Col. Duckworth wasn't talking about health requirements for service; she was talking about Trump draft-dodging, using 'bone spurs' which magically cleared up right after his eligibility ended.

War hero Tammy Duckworth lays into our draft-dodging Commander-in-Chief.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yep. Childhood asthma was an absolute disqualification for enlistment at that time. He would have been rejected even if he had volunteered. Today, he might have made it, with some limitations:

Since 2014, the Department of Defense has changed its medical qualification standards for recruits with cases of childhood asthma, or a history of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Children under the age of 13 can often be misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD issues, and any asthma since the age of 13 may still be disqualifying.

But waivers may be available to those with these conditions on a case-by-case basis.

Military Rules for Recruits with Asthma
Previously, any history of asthma was
disqualifying, regardless of age. While medical waivers were sometimes possible, waiver approval usually required scheduling and passing a pulmonary function test.

In the present day, asthma is only disqualifying if it occurs after the applicant’s 13th birthday. Some waivers were granted back then, but typically only for non-combat jobs.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ne...policy-3353970

Yep. I had a son who had severe asthma and played for a top soccer club in high school. And soccer is much more demanding on respiratory systems than most other sports. He missed an occasional game, and needed medication before and after he was playing. Asthma tends to be episodic, and when you don't have it, there's usually no problem at all.

Yep. See above. The evidence suggests you didn't know what you were talking about.

That was your argument. Now, you know better. Lt. Col. Duckworth wasn't talking about health requirements for service; she was talking about Trump draft-dodging, using 'bone spurs' which magically cleared up right after his eligibility ended.

Great post, Barbarian. Excellent.

I'm related to someone who was accepted for a branch of military academy and then unaccepted because the academy said he had asthma. He didn't, as a teen he'd once had a respiratory infection severe enough to require a one-time-only inhaler and steroid treatment but having that in his medical records was enough for disqualification. A letter from the doctor verifying no diagnosis of asthma at any point in his life wasn't enough. The answer was still no.

Truth7t7

Ole Joe could be a lifeguard and football star, but you give him a pass at dodging the draft 5 times, on his claim of (Asthma)

A perfect example of liberal biased prejudice in my opinion.

Truth7t7

Great post, Barbarian. Excellent.

I'm related to someone who was accepted for a branch of military academy and then unaccepted because the academy said he had asthma. He didn't, as a teen he'd once had a respiratory infection severe enough to require a one-time-only inhaler and steroid treatment but having that in his medical records was enough for disqualification. A letter from the doctor verifying no diagnosis of asthma at any point in his life wasn't enough. The answer was still no.
Joe Biden was a draft dodger, 5 times

His claim of (Asthma) while being a lifeguard and football star disqualifies his claims.

​​​​​​Amazing how far one will go in pre-determined biased prejudice, in protection of their political democratic candidate.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Joe Biden was a draft dodger, 5 times

As you now realize that's not true. Even if Biden had volunteered for service, he would not have been accepted. In that time, any childhood asthma was permanently disqualifiyiing.

His claim of (Asthma) while being a lifeguard and football star disqualifies his claims.

Sorry, you're stuffed with prunes on that one. My son, in high school, was a very good club-level soccer player, and had asthma. Unless he was having an episode, he was fine.
​​​​​​Amazing how far one will go in pre-determined biased prejudice,

You are Exhibit A. I get that you don't like the reality. But there it is, regardless of your feelings.

Learn to accommodate it.